Advanced level editor

Everything about the level editing process.

Moderator: Moderators

Advanced level editor

Postby Andrew » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:49 pm

OK well I think it's about time I released my editor publically.

Features:
    Making items as long as you want, no length limit
    Multiple armadillos
    Timers greater than 60 seconds
    Tension greater than 100% each way
    Changing the armadillo/exit size
    Setting exact parameters manually, ie x and y coordinates, tension and timer length
    Adding text to a level using any material.
    Duplication, ie being able to make a level and duplicate it as many times as you like.
    Selecting multiple points and switching between normal and anchor points.
    Free!

You can download it here
Note: It's not intended as a replacement, just as a way to do things you can't do with the built in editor.
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby snowlord » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:23 pm

I immediately started to use the editor as a level viewer at a computer where I do not have AR installed. It works quite well, although many things in the editor aren't needed for that purpose.

Would it be much work to extract the view component and make a stand alone level viewer?

Well coded!
I'm a tweakling (any score posted by me is light, unless stated otherwise)
snowlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby tom » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:36 pm

WOW
tom

Postby dudiobugtron » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:47 pm

snowlord wrote:I immediately started to use the editor as a level viewer at a computer where I do not have AR installed. It works quite well, although many things in the editor aren't needed for that purpose.

Would it be much work to extract the view component and make a stand alone level viewer?

THIS IS NO LONGER MY OPINION

For this reason mainly (although there are others too), I CERTAINLY do not approve of this editor/viewer, and I do not think that the AR Forum should be supporting it. (Unless you get Peter Stock's approval, of course).

While the intent is good (a powerful tool for registered users) providing a program which is little more than a pirate version of AR for free download is hugely negligent.

Cruel Wish withdrawn - sorry!

Andrew wrote:Features:
    Free!

It's not intended as a replacement
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:48 pm

dudiobugtron wrote:
snowlord wrote:I immediately started to use the editor as a level viewer at a computer where I do not have AR installed. It works quite well, although many things in the editor aren't needed for that purpose.

For this reason mainly (although there are others too), I CERTAINLY do not approve of this editor/viewer, and I do not think that the AR Forum should be supporting it. (Unless you get Peter Stock's approval, of course).

While the intent is good (a powerful tool for registered users) providing a program which is little more than a pirate version of AR for free download is hugely negligent.

I can only hope that this version of the game also includes a nasty virus to punish everyone who downloads it :evil:

Andrew wrote:Features:
    Free!

It's not intended as a replacement

um.. You're not making any sense at all. What are you talking about?

Oh and snowlord, yes, I actually made a standalone viewer the same time I made this program. I didn't release it though, will do so soon. It uses anti-aliasing to make the display look a lot better than the one in the editor.
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby dudiobugtron » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:27 pm

Andrew wrote:um.. You're not making any sense at all. What are you talking about?

Oh and snowlord, yes, I actually made a standalone viewer the same time I made this program. I didn't release it though, will do so soon. It uses anti-aliasing to make the display look a lot better than the one in the editor.

THIS IS NO LONGER MY OPINION

Your Editor is an alternative version of AR which people don't have to pay Peter Stock for.
It's not the extra functionality I object to, it's the reproduction of ideas and functionality from the game itself, and the releasing it as a standalone game (and worse, as your own work).

It's a blatant disregard for Peter's IP and all of the hard work he put in to the game. You should release it as an 'add-on' to the full version of AR which gives the built-in editor extra functionality.
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Andrew » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:34 pm

Why should anyone have to pay Peter Stock for something I made?
There is no disregard to any IP. This editor is nothing even like an alternative version of Armadillo Run... and it is my own work. Though I should point out I was helped by code put together by tmcsweeney .
Did you even consider the time and effort that I put into making this editor?
Do you even have any idea what you're talking about?
I suspect the answer is resounding no on both counts.
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:54 am

Hmmm. I think you both agree that this case depends on if there is any way people can use Andrews editor-tool as a stand alone playable version - or not. If it is - it surely is a problem. But as far as I can see - if there I have the latest version - Andrews editor is just a kind of additional help-tool. I hope and trust Andrew knows where the line goes if that should be a problem. Yet the editor is very very poor if you should look at it as a "threat" to the "original".

And the virus-wish would be pretty cruel as I beleive everyone that uses andrews editor allready has payed for AR.
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby dudiobugtron » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:04 am

Andrew wrote:Why should anyone have to pay Peter Stock for something I made?
There is no disregard to any IP. This editor is nothing even like an alternative version of Armadillo Run... and it is my own work. Though I should point out I was helped by code put together by tmcsweeney .
Did you even consider the time and effort that I put into making this editor?

Yeah you guys must be really tired from all that Reverse Engineering.

Anyway, this is probably better as a group discussion rather than just a flame war - apologies for sending it down that track!! Anyone else have an opinion?

Edit - I just read ?rjan's reply, sorry I'll remove that ill-wish =P
I was just angry is all I don't really want people to have viruses XD
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:10 am

dudiobugtron wrote:Edit - I just read ?rjan's reply, sorry I'll remove that ill-wish =P
I was just angry is all I don't really want people to have viruses XD

I know :lol:
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby snowlord » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:11 am

Sorry if I make a stupid statement, but I really don't think you have thought this through, dudiobugtron... One could almost suspect you haven't tried Andrew's editor, but that could not be the case, could it?

The big feature of the game, Armadillo Run, is the physics motor, the ability to simulate what happens when a certain level is started. Do we agree on this? Without this feature, AR would be just an editor for...uhm, nothing...

Andrew's editor does not have this feature. It is not a game! It's totally meaningless if you don't have the real game.

What I was requesting was obviously (to everyone who has tried the editor) a viewer of how a level looks, at the moment, when not run.

The usefulness of this would of course to be able to look at a new contest level, when at work or school, for example. That way one could think about it and how to solve it on the way home to the game.
snowlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby snowlord » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:16 am

Oh yes, as ?rjan writes:

Andrews editor is just a kind of additional help-tool

This is exactly the case, and though I have no statistics to prove it, I think this helps the game, it makes it more fun to play and extends its lifetime, hopefully in the end making more people buy the game.

It might not be a point, or it may, but we haven't seen Peter Stock making any wishes for developers to remove their findings and results. I realise this might mean nothing, of course.
snowlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Andrew » Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:16 pm

Yes exactly, you can make levels using this editor, but you can only play them if you have the full version. Where's the fun in making a level if you can't play it?

With regards to the level viewer mentioned earlier, I just released it, see this thread for details.
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby luka1222 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:45 pm

either way i hope to see the multiple dillos and exits used in the comps sometime soon !!!!!!!!!!!! :D
of all the things ive lost i miss my mind the most.
luka1222
Light Master

Postby dudiobugtron » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:09 pm

snowlord wrote:One could almost suspect you haven't tried Andrew's editor

To paraphrase Homer Simpson, I think it's pretty obvious that I haven't.

I withdraw all of my previous criticisms of this editor, and apologise profusely to Andrew!!!

I shall now retire to my cave. If anyone needs to be told off by an ignoramus, you'll know where to find me...
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Next

Return to Level creation