What are these? Neutrinos?

Share hints for building cheap and/or amusing structures.

Moderator: Moderators

What are these? Neutrinos?

Postby beejamin » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:03 pm

I was tinkering tonight, and discovered that these little rubber star/ball structures have some weird properties - has anyone noticed this before?

If you apply tension to all the rubber in the ball, it seems to behave weirdly in collisions. The more tension, the more this effect shows up, it seems - 100% and the balls will go straight through steel - a milder amount - 20%ish - makes them kinda sticky. They'll poke their tentacles partially through the surface, and will grip to slopes and edges much more than a normal wheel would.

I have the feeling that, because under tension the rubber goes so far below the minimum length, the physics sim starts to freak out - that, and the particles density maybe?

If you apply mild compression to odd numbered rubbers, you get a very fast spinning cog/wheel - it works best when it's got something to drive, otherwise it will usually burst under it's own force.

Has anyone else come across this? I'm sure there's a way we can use this for something fun or useful...
Attachments
neutrinos.lvl
Strange particle demo.
(14.53 KiB) Downloaded 722 times
beejamin

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:25 am

yeah that is pretty cool! i like how they are easily pushed through steel.
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Return to Building tips