Matacus Contest #7 - Time to vote!

For the artistically inclined.

Moderator: Moderators

Vote for the best Matacus Contest #7 entry!

Addilometer
29%
Comparator
7%
Debil Computer
14%
ProcessAR ALU
43%
System process
7%

Total votes : 14

Matacus Contest #7 - Time to vote!

Postby NickyNick » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:14 pm

Well, here are amazing Matacus Contest #7 entries!!!

I'm so glad to see these stunning super smart machines. Thank you a lot, guys, for your hard work! I hope you enjoyed making it! :D
And now, I hope, we all will get great delight working with these machines. Don't forget your popcorn and coke! :D

P.S. Don't forget to read info file(s) for each entry!
Attachments
Matacus 7 entries.zip
the entries
(202.63 KiB) Downloaded 389 times
Last edited by NickyNick on Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AR & W:A forever
NickyNick
Champion of Light
Champion of Light

Postby McGinge » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:37 pm

WOW!!! They are all absolute genius!
In an ideal world, where anything and everything is in perfect form, is there a perfect form of imperfection?

Work THAT one out! :)
McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby JonathanF » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:38 pm

WOW, I have no idea whom to vote for.

What really caught my eye is the three-1-bit-numbers summator- it took me a couple of minutes until I fully understood the concept and I have to admit I used pen and paper :(

I also have to admit that I used pen and paper to draw sketches for my entry.

I have no idea who am I going to vote for though, but I still have a couple of days to set my mind and choose :)

EDIT: In order to solve the comparator riddle I advise you guys to read the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy :p
"It's just a reflection of dark past, remains of a ruined, dead, cursed soul, and also another reason for you to hate me..."

-Meyhna'ch
JonathanF
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby gamma57 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:02 am

Aaahh! The ProcessAR ALU is insane. If you add a few more MASM codes besides CMP and JNE you could program Armadillo Run inside of Armadillo Run! Some of the stuff was over my head.

The only thing that dissapoints me. There were no completely re-usable gates. Everything had timers or breaking things. If I were to re do my level, it would be with re-usable gates and no timers or breaking.

They all look great though! It was fun going through them all and testing things out.
build yourself a ramblin wreck
gamma57
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby JonathanF » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:08 am

Re-usable gates with 8 bits sounds insane :O
Someone should have made it though.

EDIT: Tried to build something with many bits and re-usable gates, but not only it takes WAY too much space (maybe it would be better with the little dillos?) I can't see how to bring all the bits in order back to the top after a while. Not with the regular dillos and not with the tiny dillos.
"It's just a reflection of dark past, remains of a ruined, dead, cursed soul, and also another reason for you to hate me..."

-Meyhna'ch
JonathanF
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby FF » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:38 am

gamma57 wrote:Aaahh! The ProcessAR ALU is insane. If you add a few more MASM codes besides CMP and JNE you could program Armadillo Run inside of Armadillo Run! Some of the stuff was over my head.

The only thing that dissapoints me. There were no completely re-usable gates. Everything had timers or breaking things. If I were to re do my level, it would be with re-usable gates and no timers or breaking.

They all look great though! It was fun going through them all and testing things out.

Ok. Here is the problem. I can costruct reusable "Xor", "Or" and "And".(They are already constructed by me).
They all have "0" on exit than there is double "0" on enter. The real problem is Not gate. IT HAVE TO HAVE A TIMER.

P.S. The only way to solve this is using smth. material as "0" signal.
But here is the grate problem, as u all understand... Maybe I'll do that. Later.
FF
Light Master

Postby JonathanF » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:44 am

Imagine using your gates on 8 or 16 bit numbers more than 1 time. It would be insane to drive the dillos all the way up again and put them in right places and make them enter the gate side by side...
In order to make it convenient, you would have to make another gates if you want to use them again, and therefore re-usable gates aren't that useful.

BTW Did you make the three-1-bit-numbers thingy? I love it :)

-Meyhna'ch
JonathanF
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby FF » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:54 am

JonathanF wrote:Imagine using your gates on 8 or 16 bit numbers more than 1 time. It would be insane to drive the dillos all the way up again and put them in right places and make them enter the gate side by side...
In order to make it convenient, you would have to make another gates if you want to use them again, and therefore re-usable gates aren't that useful.

BTW Did you make the three-1-bit-numbers thingy? I love it :)

Khmmmm... I'll make smth like that tomorrow, I've really good idia, i think.
"Not" element is not nessusary. As I understand, using anly two logical elements u can constract anything u want(Коль, я прав? Вроде, имея дизъюнкцию и коньюнкцию, без отрицания можно обойтись?).
So the cycle itterating machine is coming. Time to die :twisted: .
BTW, three-1-bit-numbers is mine. But this is grate secret. Pssssh! :D :D :D
FF
Light Master

Postby gamma57 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:16 am

I also didnt vote for my own design. I voted for the Addilometer. I like the use of what looks like the 2's compliment to subtract the number "C".

It was like the wooden marbel adder with a small twist. Simple and fairly easy to understand. That my opinion anyway.

---
I hope that JonathanF isnt the only other person that got the Hitchickers Guide reference also. I assumed that it was classic nerd literature especially if you are interested in computer science or electrical engineering. :P
build yourself a ramblin wreck
gamma57
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby McGinge » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:39 am

gamma57 wrote:Aaahh! The ProcessAR ALU is insane. If you add a few more MASM codes besides CMP and JNE you could program Armadillo Run inside of Armadillo Run! Some of the stuff was over my head.

Could you actually Program AR in AR???!!!?!?!?! That would be bloody genius! That should be the forum project!
In an ideal world, where anything and everything is in perfect form, is there a perfect form of imperfection?

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby JonathanF » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:26 pm

Your PC would never be able to run it. You need an apartment sized computer if you wanna program AR in AR xD

-Meyhna'ch
JonathanF
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby McGinge » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:27 pm

ha lol; sorry im a bit of retard at all this :D

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby NickyNick » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:17 pm

FF wrote:"Not" element is not nessusary. As I understand, using anly two logical elements u can constract anything u want(Коль, я прав? Вроде, имея дизъюнкцию и коньюнкцию, без отрицания можно обойтись?).

Hmm... I'm not expert in Boolean algebra, but I'm not sure.
Как быть тогда, когда нам нужно из "0" произвести "1" (НЕ)? Откуда взять носитель сигнала для этого?
NickyNick
Champion of Light
Champion of Light

Postby NickyNick » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:22 pm

I thought a bit and I think that the best solution for that problem is transforming signal carrier. This thing has two positions - first for "0" and second for "1". This way, NOT gate should be a construction that will switch signal carrier from "0" to "1" and vice versa.
NickyNick
Champion of Light
Champion of Light

Postby JonathanF » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:00 pm

Assume you have a binary number b which is constructed of n bits, and you want to get NOT(b).

NOT(b)=XOR(b,2^n-1).

NOT(0)=1 > XOR(0,1)=1
NOT(1)=0 > XOR(1,1)=0

Might be better using this approach although you still need a timer or a breaking rocket, I can't see how to do it without it.

-Meyhna'ch
JonathanF
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Next

Return to Design Contests