ARFC_B_CII - Competition - AR_Olympics (Ends-29Aug@15:00GMT)

The more complex contest running once a week. Recommended for advanced players.

Moderator: Moderators

ARFC_B_CII - Competition - AR_Olympics (Ends-29Aug@15:00GMT)

Postby V4nKw15h » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:36 pm

Welcome to the Armadillo Run Olympics :D

The intention of this level was to do something a little different to normal.

Just like the javelin or maybe even the long jump, this level is about getting the dillo as far as possible. I suggest you download the level and take a look at it before reading further; things will make more sense then.

Rule 1: Normal rules apply.
Rule 2: In the event that nobody completes the level light, there will still be a light medal for whoever gets the dillo the furthest up the ramp before it rolls back. (See the level to understand) Even if there is a dark solution.
Rule 3: Negative scores are disqualified. Stay within the budget or it doesn't count.

I've had some great entertainment trying to complete this level and I hope you guys do too. Don't freak out if you don't get close to solving it. Remember, it's B league and meant to be hard to complete so that the winner will be the one who gets the dillo closest to the portal.

I hope nobody does complete it, but I've got mighty close so I have a hunch it's possible. Maybe one of you will come up with a great solution.

This is a nice level for the fans of Dark solutions too.
Good Luck all.

Oh, and a big THANKS to Cresta for letting me post this one while it was still topical. Cheers Cresta, I owe you one.

Solutions by PM or fravigar@hotmail.com if PM is full. Thanks
Attachments
ARFC_B_CII_AR-Olypmpics.lvl
(3.84 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
Last edited by V4nKw15h on Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Re: ARFC_B_CII - Competition - AR_Olympics (Ends-29Aug@15:00GMT)

Postby Cresta » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:47 pm

Now I'm going to try this level, but you probably don't know how much I'm going to love it!
I'm a long jumper, did you know???
Italian champion in my junior category in 2003... :D
Cresta
Armadeus

Postby V4nKw15h » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:54 pm

Haha, fantastic.

I know you are at least very good at this type of launcher level and I've really enjoyed playing it myself. It was originally just a little easier (like getting the dillo up to 9.5 on this level. And I completed that one just. So I made it a twitch harder.

All I hope is that there isn't a solution that makes it easy. My hope is that there is no solution and the winner is whoever gets it the furthest. Then it will really be like the olympics.

Posting scores is recommended by the way. If you guys want to post scores, just say which number marker you manage to get the dillo to reach. Lets say if you get the right side of the dillo to touch the vertical metal bar over the number 6 then you score 6. Or if you get it a little past, score yourself like 6.2

Haha, I'm hoping for a photo-finish. :) Where I need to take screen captures and overlap them to decide a winner.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby JimCDubb » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:45 pm

I assume you score where the dillo rolls to, rather than where it first touches down.
Is it legal to add materials to the ramp to propel the dillo further?
JimCDubb

Postby V4nKw15h » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:11 pm

JimCDubb wrote:I assume you score where the dillo rolls to, rather than where it first touches down.
Is it legal to add materials to the ramp to propel the dillo further?

Consider this level just like any other.

The only difference with this level is that if nobody completes it, with a light solution, then I'll still award a light medal for whoever can get the ball to roll the furthest up the ramp before it rolls back again, and of course within the budget.

I don't care where it lands or what it lands on, or how you get it there. You can add materials wherever you like.

Like I said, I'm hoping nobody can solve it, so it remains like an olympic event. If it is solved, then the cheapest solution wins just like normal.

Obviously it should be easy to solve dark, but I think the fun of this level is to work with a light solution. I actually can't wait for people to start posting how far up the ramp they have got it. If all goes well, it should keep everyone entertained for a good few days.

I even considered putting the "high jump" into this level too. During testing the unexpected happened and my launcher managed to throw the dillo up out of the top of the level by quite a distance. Maybe my next B league will be the high jump :)
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby TSchultz » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:10 pm

All I got is 6.5...
TSchultz
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Cresta » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:14 pm

That is much more than what I have...

Edit: if nobody manage to finish it in light way then even dark solutions will be ok? This is what I understand from your 2nd rule...
Cresta
Armadeus

Postby V4nKw15h » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:06 pm

Yeah, normal rules remember. So there will be a dark medal if it beats light, which I'm sure it will.

But, I will award a light medal to the best light result even if nobody solves it light.

So don't give up because you can't solve it, just try to beat what everyone else gets. At the moment, the challenge seems to be to beat 6.5.

TSchultz is the current World Record holder with 6.5. Haha. It's the AR_Olympics remember. (That's if you ignore my score, but I've had longer to play it). And for the first day, 6.5 is fairly impressive, so good work there.

Edit: Oh, and I think to inspire people to play it light, the best light score (even if not solved) will host the next competition. I really want this one to be an olympic like event. Don't worry about solving it, just get it as far up that ramp as you can. If you can solve it light, then WOW.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby V4nKw15h » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:38 am

Seeing Cresta say that he was basically struggling with this level worried me because he's usually very good at creating these types of launchers.

So, I'm seriously considering posting up the basic launcher/bat to get everyone started. The whole level was designed around this bat and after thinking about it, it seems a bit silly and random to force everyone to guess it before they can even get things moving in the right direction.

But, before I do that, can you guys give me some feedback on your success/failure so far. I'm thinking Cresta, Wolterw, Mikee7, and ddavex. You guys seem to be active this week and if you are struggling and getting frustrated right at the start of this level then it's not going to be a fun competition.

I can post up the basic shape of the bat/launcher without ruining the level because I started with it, and tweaked it for many many hours and I've still not quite completed the level.

You know, I made this new type of launcher and thought "hmm, that could make a really fun level", and I was right. But, if you don't have the basics to play with, I can see that this level could be too frustrating to keep playing.

Let me know what you think guys. It seems TSchultz found it if he got to 6.5 but nobody else so far.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby TSchultz » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:13 am

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1955
Looking at my solution again it might be dark kind of like CN_Player's solutions to that level.

I'll send it to you and you can decide
TSchultz
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Cresta » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:24 pm

I have a 4.5... :(

Edit: Idea!! 7+ :D
Cresta
Armadeus

Postby V4nKw15h » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:55 pm

Okay that's great Cresta. Finally :)

However, TSchultz sent me his solution and I don't think he can tweak it much further. Mikee7 sent me a dark and said he gave up totally with the light solution. Nobody else seems interested.

So, for the sake of a good competition (I'm sure you don't want to compete with yourself Cresta), I'm going to post up the very basic launcher that started this whole level.

It's really basic and not very powerful, so all I'm doing is giving everyone something to start playing with. I had this launcher before the level existed and it was in tweaking it and adding power to it that made me come up with this level.

I hope nobody minds, but we are here for fun I hope, and competing in the Olympics all alone isn't much fun.

Also there is nothing to say that this launcher is the best. It's just one way to get yourself moving in the right direction and competiting.

Edit: Oh yeah, it seems like Cresta took the new World Record, hehe.
Attachments
ARFC_B_CII_AR-Olypmpics.TweakMe.lvl
(3.96 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Cresta » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:29 pm

Oh, what a strange launcher!
Well, I'm looking to solve this level... I have another type of launcher, I will PM you now, tell me what do you think!
Cresta
Armadeus

Postby V4nKw15h » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:44 pm

Really nice Cresta :)

Are you going to keep the New World Record to yourself?

And if you have got that after only 2 days, it makes me think you will complete this level light before the end of the competition. It's so different to my launcher that who knows how much further you can tweak it.

Oh and btw, I've done better so keep tweaking. Let's hope my little starter launcher gets the other players competiting because it can beat you at the moment :).

I'm even playing this one myself which is so rare for levels I make myself. But I want to finish it light, grrr, so close. No more time today, it's time for a barbeque.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby decsystem10 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:49 pm

V4nKw15h wrote: Nobody else seems interested.

Whoa!! There's still 5 days left. Not everybody chatters.
I had 4 years to get ready for the last olympics - give us 4 days this time. :)
decsystem10
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Next

Return to "B" league