ARFC A LV (From now till February 14 19:00 GMT)

The easier general contest type that runs twice per week.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby luka1222 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:31 pm

nice one ikerous :D
of all the things ive lost i miss my mind the most.
luka1222
Light Master

Postby mark_man » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:37 pm

tomo wrote:ikerous..is your solution to this level light or dark? it seems almost impossible to do it without force
I would call it dark for the overlapping end nodes
I'm Just A Simple Man.
Please for everyone don't believe ANY scores I post .... :D :twisted:
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Ikerous » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:34 pm

It can't possibly be too hard to do light
I thought mine was light, but I guess not

What exactly is overlapping endnodes?
Ikerous
Light Master

Postby snowlord » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:00 pm

Ikerous wrote:Heh, if it convinces people to use timed tensioned rubbers and a rocket then im more than happy giving hints :P

Ah, I see. I didn't look at it before writing what I did, because that would have been kind of against my own point :)
I'm a tweakling (any score posted by me is light, unless stated otherwise)
snowlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby snowlord » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:10 pm

Ikerous wrote:The winning solution is going to come in under 200 dollars so theres no way to use anything in my solution to come even close

Hmmm, how is that possible light? This is a rhetorical question, don't answer it :)

But answer this: do you agree with Ikerous?
snowlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby mark_man » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:23 am

Ikerous wrote:It can't possibly be too hard to do light
I thought mine was light, but I guess not

What exactly is overlapping endnodes?

The rule have been amended since, I last looked .You are probably now light as this line isn't there anymore:-
exploding pieces by intersecting materials and endnodes, will win the Dark Force prize if they score higher than the best light solution
I'm Just A Simple Man.
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Ikerous » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:35 am

snowlord wrote:
Ikerous wrote:The winning solution is going to come in under 200 dollars so theres no way to use anything in my solution to come even close

Hmmm, how is that possible light? This is a rhetorical question, don't answer it :)

But answer this: do you agree with Ikerous?

I have 2800+ and mark man claims to as well :D
Ikerous
Light Master

Postby snowlord » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:30 am

mark_man wrote:The rule have been amended since, I last looked .You are probably now light as this line isn't there anymore:-
exploding pieces by intersecting materials and endnodes, will win the Dark Force prize if they score higher than the best light solution

That opens up some possibilities! :twisted:
snowlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby snowlord » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:52 am

snowlord wrote:
mark_man wrote:The rule have been amended since, I last looked .You are probably now light as this line isn't there anymore:-

Or not...this is what the rules (that the first post links to) say:

To be eligible to win the contest, your solution may not use any bugs in the physics engine. This includes any form of overlapping materials and "the force" that is generated by them in specific configurations

(my bolding for emphasis)
snowlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby NickyNick » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:23 am

that is very nice rocket solution, Ikerous :D
here is my original level sol :arrow:

As I understand the rules, simple pieces overlapping doesn't make solution dark, only if it causes something to explode
Attachments
ARFC_A_LV_Hive escape.1844-NickyNick-Level test.lvl
(10.33 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
AR & W:A forever
NickyNick
Champion of Light
Champion of Light

Postby mark_man » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:48 pm

snowlord wrote:
snowlord wrote:

Or not...this is what the rules (that the first post links to) say:

To be eligible to win the contest, your solution may not use any bugs in the physics engine. This includes any form of overlapping materials and "the force" that is generated by them in specific configurations

(my bolding for emphasis)

Looks like the rules are evolving.That's pretty decisive to me .Welding is now officially out.

NickyNick. Ikerous solution did have an exploding part right on an overlapped endpoint(fact1) It also had tensioned rubber connected to the same part that exploded(fact2). Whitch caused the explosion probably fact 2 but did fact 1 play a part? .And don't forget that, the fact is there was an exploding part that had an overlapping endpoint.

All a bit of a mute point now as the new clarified rules clearly state's it is a dark solution now.
I'm Just A Simple Man.
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby mark_man » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:54 pm

NickyNick just looked at your test level and that would be deemed dark.lets hope there is no bluffing going on here as you just posted up a nice cheapish dark solution.

New amended bluff 2660+light
I'm Just A Simple Man.
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Njaa » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:14 pm

mark_man wrote:Looks like the rules are evolving.That's pretty decisive to me .Welding is now officially out.

Until they remove the post stating that welding is officially in, I doubt it is officially out. Welding is allowed.
Njaa
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby mark_man » Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:17 pm

Njaa wrote:
mark_man wrote:Looks like the rules are evolving.That's pretty decisive to me .Welding is now officially out.

Until they remove the post stating that welding is officially in, I doubt it is officially out. Welding is allowed.

I'm confused as to" This includes any form of overlapping materials"is not classed as welding ?
Here is an except from the amended rules:-
4) Contest Rules
The rules for participation will be the same for A and B contests (except for additional per-contest rules introduced in B). They are closely related to the ones used up to now in the cc. However, there are 2 points that came up recently and not-so-recently that warrant attention:
One is the matter welding: What is welding, what is the force? Answering this question is not trivial, and it is probably the most complicated part of the current ruleset. Thus my question: should welding - and indeed, any form of object interpenetration - be relegated to the "dark side" of solutions? It would certainly make formulating the rules easier.
The other open question that was brought up recently is the posting of scores during contests. There are good arguments on either side here, and I see 4 ways to go: Either a) allow posting and bluffing like up to now, b) allow posting but no bluffing, c) allow only vague posting, for example in steps of 100 or d) allow no posting at all. Personally I would prefer a) or c), as it would be awfully quiet around here otherwise

So, here is my draft:
ARF Contest rules:
- To participate, you must submit your solution(s) (*.lvl file) to the email address provided in the contest thread before the cutoff time.
- You can (and are encouraged to) create multiple solutions. The best one will count, but all that are sufficiently different from one another will be included in the .zip
- However, please don't send in many successive iterative improvements to the same general idea. Rather, wait until you believe you have fully explored and tweaked one path before submitting. (However, a few updates are OK)
- Name your solutions like this: [YourForumName]-[DollarsRemaining]-[SolutionName,optional], for example: PeterT-5866-OverTheTop
- During the contest, you may not talk about the level or your solution in any way, except making very general remarks (i.e. "Nice level!") or posting your current score. [DRAFT - CAN CHANGE]
- However, it is also allowed to bluff - that is, post scores you have not yet reached. [DRAFT - CAN CHANGE]
- To be eligible to win the contest, your solution may not use any bugs in the physics engine. This includes any form of overlapping materials and "the force" that is generated by them in specific configurations. It also includes having the armadillo go outside the level boundaries to fall through solid obstructions. [DRAFT - CAN CHANGE]
- Designs that make use of the above elements can still win the "Dark force" prize, if they score higher than the best "clean" solution.
I'm Just A Simple Man.
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby dudiobugtron » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:56 pm

hehe, the problem isn't the rules, but the fact that the link you were following is to the draft version of them (and subsequent discussion).

The actual rules, lovingly prepared by kingofthespill, are here:

http://armadillo.metaclassofnil.com/for ... .php?t=277
(Stickied in the "A" league Forum)

and the quote is:

...This includes any form of overlapping materials with endnodes...

Of course, any changes to these would need to be run past PeterT (unless they were obviously good changes).
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to "A" league