ARF contest #24 results

The easier general contest type that runs twice per week.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:09 pm

hehe... you are right, Snowboard! 8) Its cruel but cool.
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby Andrew » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:28 am

snowlord wrote:Winners Don't Use The Force

... and then you see your solution to this level. Force, other physically impossible things.. what's the difference? still, it's definitely in a league of its own.

Anyway, I spent 2 minutes and came up with a light solution at around 2800 after combining Orjan's technique with mine. Damn. If only I'd got that going right the first time around.
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:56 am

Andrew wrote:Anyway, I spent 2 minutes and came up with a light solution at around 2800 after combining Orjan's technique with mine. Damn. If only I'd got that going right the first time around.

I was stumped as to how ?rjan's pulley wheel worked until just now - it's the added momentum of the falling metal bars which helps get it moving. I will definitely use this technique in future.
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby snowlord » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:19 am

... and then you see your solution to this level. Force, other physically impossible things.. what's the difference? still, it's definitely in a league of its own.

I think the difference here is that I am not a winner at all.

The (maybe not very interesting) history behind this was that I didn't see how I would ever be able to compete with the posted scores, so I decided to try to fill the box with metal plates and make the armadillo float to the top, just for fun. But almost immediately, this resulted in it being pushed through. So I removed the extra plates until I had an easy and clean solution and submitted it, just for fun. It wasn't competing, but I thought, maybe no one else saw this...

Hmmm, it seems I feel I need to defend myself! :shock:
I'm a tweakling (any score posted by me is light, unless stated otherwise)
snowlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby dudiobugtron » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:22 am

snowlord wrote:
I think the difference here is that I am not a winner at all.

The implication behind 'winners don't use the force' is the the force is cheating and bad. If you just meant 'People why use the force won't win the light medal', then Andrew would have had no complaint (I assert).

I think my take on Andrew's view is:
Force solutions (like yours) are cool to watch, and you obviously agree, so why are you attacking them in your sig?

And the answer is - cos it's funny :D
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby snowlord » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:09 am

I'll have to agree that your point of view makes sense. What I am saying though, is that I wouldn't want to send in an entry based on the force (or similar effects) to win a competition. Furthermore I think the best solution for Peter Stock (in my opinion, of course) would be to make two modes in a newer version of the game: Standard and Force, or something like that.

I realise that the use of force in competition isn't that much of a problem since no one would get through a force solution as a light solution, but I think it isn't that fun that the solution page on the AR website has force solutions in the top entries of many levels. The message there is: if you want to compete, cheat.

I'll change my sig, though, as it does say something other than my view on the subject.

Wow, this is becoming very off topic. Sorry about that!
I'm a tweakling (any score posted by me is light, unless stated otherwise)
snowlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:11 pm

I totally agree on all of that you saying except for one thing. I agree that it sucks that there are so many force records on the AR highscore list, but actually - you can not say that it is cheat. 1) It takes skills 2) It is taking advantage of something that is found within the games own universe. No rules are against it either from the official web site. Well - that was allot of explaining just to add a little detail. :wink:
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Previous

Return to "A" league