ARFC_A_XVI (01-Oct-2006 - 04-Oct-2006 18:00GMT)

The easier general contest type that runs twice per week.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby mark_man » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:18 am

9.7kfor the house of cards.
I'm Just A Simple Man.
Please for everyone don't believe ANY scores I post .... :D :twisted:
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby DJC » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:22 pm

9.8k for HoC. It's a great level. I like it as much as Werzen Mechanism II.
I have an inferiority complex, it's just not a very good one.
DJC

Postby Andrew » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:28 pm

I wish I'd come up with something like that before the start of this competition... unlike this current comp level which I made in a rush, as you can probably tell
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby DJC » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:36 pm

No I think it all worked out ok. I don't think HoC is a great competition level - the method is fairly straightforward, the buzz is in getting it to work cleanly (the kind of level I love). Anti-tweak is a better competition because (ironically) there's so much tweakability in it - I bet there is a good variety of solutions.

But how did you get the armadillo to bounce on anchored metal sheets?
DJC

Postby Andrew » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:46 pm

Edit the level in the level editor and you'll see what the trick is :wink:
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby DJC » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:48 pm

Andrew wrote:Oh and, unless you specifically tell me you want multiple entries posted, I'm only going to post everyone's best attempt in the results. That way everyone's level directory doesn't get quite so full.

It'd be easier if people told you the name of the levels they want you to delete from the zip file. If I tweak an extra $2 out of last night's submission then I'd want you to delete last night's submission, but I might forget about a submission I made two days ago, which may be more expensive but also more interesting.

Also it'd be quicker for you to delete the files you have named than to have check each one against a list of those you're keeping.

Just a thought.
DJC

Postby DJC » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:54 pm

Andrew wrote:Edit the level in the level editor and you'll see what the trick is :wink:

Er, no. I'm more confused now. I may be stupid but it looks like the whole thing is a single metal sheet. The anchor points don't seem to be attached to it.

It is a neat trick but what is it?
DJC

Postby Andrew » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:22 pm

I created the level in part by a tool I'm working on -- I implented a form of cut and paste less than 24 hours before it was officially released. Thats how I made so many perfect metal sheets.
Then, I made one really long one at the bottom, by editing the coordinates manually. The tool isnt exactly easy to use, but it does work.
Don't worry, it can't be used to cheat in levels as it only works with original level files, not solutions. Plus only losers cheat anyway! I'd much rather be frustrated at the bottom than cheating at the top.

For more of what's possible with my tool, check out this thread
http://armadillo.metaclassofnil.com/for ... .php?t=480

I will release it sometime if there's sufficient interest (will have to spend time on making it actually useable!)
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby Andrew » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:31 pm

OK time's running out guys!
Lots of great entries, I'm a bit disappointed that noone's submitted an over the top crazy solution though...
There's still a few hours left :)
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:43 pm

im gonna tweak a litle now, as the computer is finally available - but when I try to tweak the last pixel its just brakes in to dust when the dillo comes :cry: The antitweak-system is to blame for the lack of overthetopness i guess :P
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby DJC » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:32 pm

Andrew wrote:I will release it sometime if there's sufficient interest (will have to spend time on making it actually useable!)

I for one am all for it. My favourite levels are those like Werzen Mechanism II or Chaos Generator where you can't predict the path the armadillo will take when you edit an object by a single pixel. If you could introduce that kind of chaotic behaviour by altering the properties of familiar materials it would be a whole other ball game.

I think it would have to be regulated by an international body though. In the same way that Light and Dark solutions are distinguished in the competitions, standard and 'enhanced' physics would also have to be kept separate.

Maybe Peter T could nominate a panel of the most successful players to adjudicate.
DJC

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:46 pm

I have discovered a naughty sercret in this level. If you take f.ex metalsheets between the free anchorpoints that forms a "w" and leave the two that doesnt fit in to that - you got something extremely unmentionable! :roll: :wink: :lol: And the stuff on the right taht...does what it does -I dont want to think of what that is.. :shock: :lol:
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:05 pm

Well. I thik I give up tweaking. It just explode when Im about to get it right. Guess the medal goes where the wind blows :P
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby DJC » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:40 pm

?rjan Flatseth wrote:I have discovered a naughty secret in this level.
:shock: :lol:

I noticed the free anchor points image straight away - I've seen it on someone else's level too - but I didn't really care whether it was intended or not; they were just anchor points to build something to catch the armadillo... but the thing on the right! I've been tweaking this for the last three or four days and I never noticed.

So I have to wonder what the real meaning behind 'Anti-tweak' is considering it's one of the most tweakable levels we've seen in competitions.
DJC

Postby Andrew » Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:54 pm

DJC wrote:So I have to wonder what the real meaning behind 'Anti-tweak' is considering it's one of the most tweakable levels we've seen in competitions.

Well, it's supposed to be a bit of a paradox... extremely tweakable but with a wait at the start to make it annoying to do so.
If the wait was the maximum 60s then it would have been much more apparent. I just didn't want anyone to die of impatience
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

PreviousNext

Return to "A" league