ARF Contest A #12 Results

The easier general contest type that runs twice per week.

Moderator: Moderators

ARF Contest A #12 Results

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:21 am

This solution was certainly an exciting one, with levels changing, predictions being made, and noone bluffing over 2800+!!

Most solutions involved getting the armadillo over the first rubber obstacle, then shooting him up with the pre-placed rubber cannon. Most, that is, except Mark:

Who said rubber tower? What rubber tower?

Some of the best-to-watch solutions (like that one) were from the original level, so I have included them in the zip too - don't forget to watch them! another gem was one of DJC's entries which used the rocket on the clock for some extra momentum:

For most of this competition, everyone thought that the best solution would be tensioned rubber at the start, and a cloth+metalbar catcher at the end. Congratulations to everyone who got the most out of that method, and came in second equal:
Rebel, MBrio, JP, Casius and ?rjan.

But what they hadn't counted on were the superior armadillo-running skills of Bob, who did what was thought impossible, and pulled the armadillo over with a cheap metal bar pulley system and scored 2816!

Congratulations are also due to Casius, who outscored all his other competitors and saved a whopping $2888 with his dark side solution:

Casius has entertained us with many awesome solutions in the past, and it's good to see him finally get some recognition!

My other 'awards' go out to:

JP, for the 'highest armadillo launch' using a delayed break technique I still can't figure out,

CerielTjuh (2724) for his last-second escape

And the 'Wow' awards go out to fruityth1ng - how does your catcher work? :shock: and DJC for his 2758 catcher antics.

And here's a bit for Peter:
Code: Select all
[b]XII: L:[/b] Bob [b]D:[/b] Casius
Attachments
Bob-winner.jpg
Bob's winning solution
ARFC_A_XII_BOOM_II.zip
Levels
(155.37 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Casius » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:07 am

Cool.
:twisted:

Aaahhh, it taste good.

Congratulations also to Bob.
Casius
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby PeterT » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:06 am

I just had a look - great solutions everyone! I especially enjoyed those that nudged the armadillo along with the rocket though those didn't score high.

Your "Patheticon" is a real eye-opener dudio, will probably be useful in the future. Great work also on hosting the competition and on this results thread!
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby DJC » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:25 am

Your "Patheticon" is a real eye-opener dudio, will probably be useful in the future. Great work also on hosting the competition and on this results thread!

I agree. Patheticon-optimised is phenomenal but the hosting was better, especially at 5:58 this morning (GMT).
I have an inferiority complex, it's just not a very good one.
DJC

Postby mbrio » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:59 am

Close but no cigar. But still, coming second in my third competition isn't bad :)

Congrats to the winners.

What's "Patheticon"?
mbrio

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:01 am

I didn't expect to win here, and obviously I was quite lucky considering dudio's outstanding solution. Perhaps I was lucky because today is my birthday :D

I already made the next contest level and posted it. Have fun!
Bob
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Casius » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:28 am

Happy birthday Bob. :D
Casius
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby Bob » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:33 am

Casius wrote:Happy birthday Bob. :D

Thanks! :D :D :armadillo:
Bob
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:39 am

Congratz, casius and bob!!

BTW dudiobugtron- I tried for quite a while to make a patheticon - but without suxess. That new pop version you hve there is worth a study! I will learn it by heart!
And for those who wonder - the patheticon was first used by me in ARFC A VI - a much heavyer, expencive and primitive version though :wink:
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

LOL

Postby fruityth1ng » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:37 pm

congratulations winners... DAMN!! :P

hehe :D thanks, dudiobugtron, It's a plain vanilla catcher with a counterbalance, otherwise the tower would sway out of the target zone.

:)
F
fruityth1ng

Postby mark_man » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:44 pm

Thanks for the mention .I was under the understanding the second level made superseded the first ,i could have done it the same way but with $12 less spent, that would have given me a respectable 2772 :D .On to the next one :P
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby DJC » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:49 pm

I think the second version did supercede the first, but dudio always said he'd include solutions to the first in the zip file just for interest. I was a bit disheartened when I came to post my solution for the first level that it was no longer valid, but eventually I got round to trying the second and found it just as much fun because it was so different.
DJC

Postby Casius » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:30 pm

Home from work now an i have seen the soutions.

Dudiobugtron... your "patheticon" solutions was.... impressive.
Casius
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby Muppet » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:46 pm

Grats Winners, and I hope you had a good day Bob!
Muppet
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:29 pm

?rjan Flatseth wrote:And for those who wonder - the patheticon was first used by me in ARFC A VI

If you hadn't given it such a ridiculous name I would never have remembered it!

I don't normally like to 'compete' in my own levels (because I get to see everyone else's solutions - it makes it pretty easy!), but I make the 'Patheticon' solution because I wanted to make sure it was possible to get 2800+, after everyone else seemed to think tensioned rubber was the only way. I'm surprised noone else remembered it from ?rjan's old Solution! Especially after my glowing praise:

dudiobugtron wrote:My favourite solutions were Skelly's, which managed to do what I had tried and failed for quite a while (catch the armadillo using a structure supported by the square) - and the 'Patheticon', which is perhaps the best solution I have seen in ages!!!

PS: Also, very sorry to Aapenootjes, In my haste to get everything ready by 6, I renamed your solution OrjanF-Aapenootjes !!! I thought your name was the name of one of ?rjan's levels. :cry:

PPS: Happy Birthday for Yesterday Bob!
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Next

Return to "A" league