ARF Contest A #3 (2006-08-16 to 2006-08-20 19:00 CET)

The easier general contest type that runs twice per week.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby snowlord » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:00 pm

I think the difficulty for this one was good, because:

1) I am at the last or second to last level in the game which is pretty close to what is described as the typical contestant so I am certainly not very good at this game.
2) I succeeded in reaching almost $1400 and I don't even know how to use the force.

But what I have felt in prior competitions which have stopped me from submitting my results is that when the elite players post their scores it is easy to feel discouraged, because I know I can never reach those scores and then what's the point? I suspect others may feel this way too.

I'm not saying it should be forbidden, but it may be an explanation why it feels so hopeless for some people.
snowlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:15 pm

I think you have a good point there! But I must admit that is just so tempting to show of in the forum when you got a good score 8) and it is years and days before the contest ends.
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

eu jea - jeeeah

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:43 pm

btw, BFC - I made it! Thx for letting me know it was possible 8)
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby skeletalphrame » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:59 pm

I am really looking forward to seeing your guys' 1700-1800 solutions
skeletalphrame

Postby BioDroid » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:09 pm

I think we should stop posting our scores, it probably would result in a wider variety in solutions. Maybe next contest should be announced in closed thread. :?:
BioDroid

Re: eu jea - jeeeah

Postby BFC » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:33 pm

?rjan Flatseth wrote:btw, BFC - I made it! Thx for letting me know it was possible 8)

Sweet :) We'll see how it looks in a couple of days!

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Grale » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:06 pm

Firstly i like to sat Hi to all members here :D

I bought AR last week and have not put it down since!!
i'm still learning alot and cannot start to imagine how some of you guys here are getting 1800+ light !!

i've managed 1352 light :oops: still i am pleased with my attempt and shall keep trying :P
Grale

Postby PeterT » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:49 pm

I'd say the level was just perfect, seeing how it motivated so many new people to join :D

Anyway, I suck at it - my current best is somewhere around 1500!
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby n.fav » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:44 am

skeletalphrame wrote:getting the ball out of the box is easy...getting it out cheaply is the hard part

and moreover the ball can go out of the box in different maners... It would not surprise me (well, actually it would) that the top players have found a way of ejecting the 'dillo so brutally that he jumps directly from the box to the goal!
I'm stuck at 1672.
n.fav

Postby kingofthespill » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:27 am

snowlord wrote:I think the difficulty for this one was good, because:

1) I am at the last or second to last level in the game which is pretty close to what is described as the typical contestant so I am certainly not very good at this game.
2) I succeeded in reaching almost $1400 and I don't even know how to use the force.

But what I have felt in prior competitions which have stopped me from submitting my results is that when the elite players post their scores it is easy to feel discouraged, because I know I can never reach those scores and then what's the point? I suspect others may feel this way too.

I'm not saying it should be forbidden, but it may be an explanation why it feels so hopeless for some people.

If others feel like this please speak up.

Having people not send in solutions that actually work seems unfortunate to me, as many solutions each time are for fun. Just look at Skelly's 1760 solution on ARCX for instance - it's awesome. :D
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby dudiobugtron » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:33 am

kingofthespill wrote:
snowlord wrote:But what I have felt in prior competitions which have stopped me from submitting my results is that when the elite players post their scores it is easy to feel discouraged, because I know I can never reach those scores and then what's the point? I suspect others may feel this way too.

If others feel like this please speak up.

*puts up hand* - if My solution will look 'amatuerish' compared to the highest scores I tend not to try for an optimized score.
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby n.fav » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:51 am

yes I understand what you mean. Some people can get discouraged and feel too amateurish, ok...
but it's a game!
what's cool in those contests is that we can participate even if the solutions are over-budget !
I think it's better if we have more participants, and the scores are'nt so important...In fact, expensive solutions leads to more diversity and cool ideas etc... When I download the results, I firstly search for them!
n.fav

Postby snowlord » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:16 am

I don't know if this is a stupid idea, but maybe each competition could have two tracks:

Track 1: The current one, have as much money left as possible.
Track 2: The coolest/most creative solution, selected by vote or by the level creator.

And winning both tracks at once would of course be a feat...
snowlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Malco » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:47 pm

I think scoring should be allowed in the majority of the games but only in steps of 100. It is depressing some times when you see your best attempt anialated on here but I still submit mine anyway as the only way you get better at something is to play people better than yourself, so I will keep at it.

Blind contests wiuld be good though once in a while, it would leave everyone guessing "can I stop tweaking it yet?" and I think snowlords idea is a good aswell, maybe as an informal thing after the contest everyone posts who they think should get the kudos for most inventive soloution?
Malco

Postby Vicktor » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:39 pm

I actually really like Snowlord's idea about each competition having a sub-competition of the most creative/intuitive idea.

This could give the newer gamers a chance to win something because it is discouraging knowing people are getting a total way out of my ability range!

I'm still having no luck with this level my my solution is pretty neat lol!
Did I Just Say That!?
Vicktor

PreviousNext

Return to "A" league