ARFC_A_245_Two tunnels (Ends: 7thJune@17:00)

The easier general contest type that runs twice per week.

Moderator: Moderators

ARFC_A_245_Two tunnels (Ends: 7thJune@17:00)

Postby Votart Silak » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:31 pm

ARFC_A_245_Two tunnels

Submissions by PM

Naming convention is:
[DollarsRemaining]-[YourForumName]-[SolutionName]

GMT Time link: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

Good luck! :D
Attachments
ARFC_A_245_Two tunnels.lvl
(2.03 KiB) Downloaded 203 times
Votart Silak

Re: ARFC_A_245_Two tunnels (Ends: 7thJune@17:00)

Postby Cresta » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:40 pm

A bit complex for an A league don't you think? :?
At least this is what I thought when I saw it for the first time, just asking....
Cresta
Armadeus

Postby Overlord » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:35 pm

I was hoping for an easteregg, however, 1100+ R

P.S. Seems like the current B is easier than A :o
All ARFC A contests and solutions 1st-255th: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2245
A tool to copy .lvl2 files to \Levels dir when opened: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2374
Overlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby V4nKw15h » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:18 pm

I think I'll be sitting out on both A and B league this time.

I've never been much of a fan of the time involved in making a working pulley system. Then trying to tweak them takes just as long with very unpredictable results. Add to that the need for timed releases and tweaking becomes even more laborious. You can't tweak anything or the release system fails and it's back to starting from the beginning again.

I did start on this level hoping I could enjoy the challenge, but 30 minutes later and I'm nowhere near getting the ball out of the first tunnel the way I want it. It gets so random at the top. The slightest tweak and it does something completely different. It's obvious that the winning solution will pull the ball up, and manage to spin it around the pulley wheel and throw it across to the other side. Good luck and well done to whoever has the patience for that one.

Sorry to be negative but I consider the most fun levels to be those that are ridiculously easy to complete, but take plenty of controllable tweaking to max out the score. It's just my opinion. I'm sure others will enjoy the challenge.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Cresta » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:47 pm

Mine (B contest) isn't done for a pulley indeed....
Give it a try!
Cresta
Armadeus

Postby markmadras » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:49 am

Cresta wrote:Mine (B contest) isn't done for a pulley indeed....
Give it a try!

Are you saying that it is possible to raise the Dillo that far (B contest Light) without a pulley system :?: I obviously don't expect you to say how just a yes or no will do. :)
markmadras

Postby Votart Silak » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:13 am

If it is heavy to someone to create pulley system, that is rockets. And if all consider that it is heavy for "A" league let mi2 will be the host of new contest.
Life as a zebra: that a light, that a dark, and in the end - an ass!
Votart Silak

Postby markmadras » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:06 pm

Overlord wrote:I was hoping for an easteregg, however, 1100+ R

P.S. Seems like the current B is easier than A :o

1100+R :? is that Light or Dark I'm guessing it's Light.

I'd agree this is much more difficult than the B contest. I got as far as getting the Dillo out of the first tube but have spent a lot of time already trying to swing it out in the right direction, there is very little room to do this. Maybe I will have to take a different approach and spend more. Tried with rockets, first tube no problem but getting it to the next one a big problem without a second rocket and a couple of timers, very expensive. I'd guess there is an easier way but I have not seen it yet :? On the other hand I got a fairly good Light and Dark on the A contest in about 90 minutes.

This A contest certainly is a challenge, I will be very happy just to complete it Light and hopefully dark as well. I do hope other people will have a go :)

An Easter Egg would have been usefull, maybe I can make one with the Jackhammer :twisted:
markmadras

Postby V4nKw15h » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:56 pm

Don't worry Votart. It takes time to learn to build good levels that appeal to people.

This would have been fine as a B league, but it's still not a big problem here as A league. You can't appeal to everyone every time.

I personally believe the A league should be super easy to complete but tricky to max. I think I said that already, but it's a good thing to keep in mind when creating A league levels.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby markmadras » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:05 pm

Debates to one side for the moment, I finally conquered the tunnels with a Light solution, it took a lot of tweaking.

1800+ :lms: :)

EDIT. That 1800 :lms: is now +++++++++++++

Just for the hell of it I've done a Double Jackhammer solution around 1900+ :dms: Shame this isn't a speed contest it runs at 5.17 Secs, blink and its gone, totally opposite to my Light solution which feels like half an hour.

Where is the competition :?:
markmadras

Postby markmadras » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:34 pm

Is there anyone else taking part in this Level :?: :?: :?:

I will gain no satisfaction from winning if there is nobody to compete with, come on, its not that bad once you get into it. I only had to make up one little trick to help get the Dillo from the first to the second tunnel, nothing fancy, the rest is all normal stuff. :)
markmadras

Postby Votart Silak » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:51 pm

markmadras wrote:I will gain no satisfaction from winning if there is nobody to compete with

Hi, markmadras!
In the Middle Ages there were cases when knights instigators had no contenders who would answer their call, therefore the victory was given to them without fight and was thus not less honourable.
Life as a zebra: that a light, that a dark, and in the end - an ass!
Votart Silak

Postby rob » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:37 pm

Got the Dillo up the first tunnel. I can swing it anywhere to the left and up. I can also put the dillo still on top of the tunnel, but I can not swing it even remotely close to the second tunnel. In order for me to like my own solution I simply HAVE to use all that energy created by the pulley to get the ball to the second tunnel. An extra contraption to get the dillo over there just won't do...

I'll try some more.
rob

Postby markmadras » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:07 pm

Votart Silak wrote:
markmadras wrote:I will gain no satisfaction from winning if there is nobody to compete with

Hi, markmadras!
In the Middle Ages there were cases when knights instigators had no contenders who would answer their call, therefore the victory was given to them without fight and was thus not less honourable.

I understand, but winning without a contender does reduce the pleasure of having a good contest against another player.
markmadras

Postby markmadras » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:16 pm

rob wrote:Got the Dillo up the first tunnel. I can swing it anywhere to the left and up. I can also put the dillo still on top of the tunnel, but I can not swing it even remotely close to the second tunnel. In order for me to like my own solution I simply HAVE to use all that energy created by the pulley to get the ball to the second tunnel. An extra contraption to get the dillo over there just won't do...

I'll try some more.

This is the same problem I had at the start, I felt like I was banging my head on a brick wall and then suddenly :idea: and the problem was solved. As I said earlier it is nothing fancy, if you don't figure it out I am sure you will kick yourself when you see it. I wish I could find the answer to the B contest just as easily.

Nice to know someone else is having a go at this :) There has been 15 posts now and only 2 of them have been to submit a score, including mine. :?
markmadras

Next

Return to "A" league