ARFC A 244: Sonic Results

The easier general contest type that runs twice per week.

Moderator: Moderators

ARFC A 244: Sonic Results

Postby V4nKw15h » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:16 pm

ARFC A 244 Results:

This one was a hard competition to judge. Overlord was all over this one with a 1794 after only a few hours of putting the competition up.
He improved this to 1804 after a couple of days and then sent in an 1812.

However, his 1812 breaks a couple of light rules, even though in essense it constains just some welding.

1. Nodes intersecting materials at the start of the level
2. Constant clanking due to the engine constantly trying, and failing, to resolve the situation.

It's always difficult to judge where we draw the line between dark and light, especially with the ammount of dark force people are creating with welding nowadays.

Ultimately I classed it as dark because of intersecting nodes and the ultimate constant compression/stretching of materials, but I think it would be good to hear everyone elses opinion on the matter for better clarification of dark/light in future competitions. Most noteably, when does welding go from being light to dark?

Anyway, onto the results.

:lms: 1810 - Votart & mi2
Both very different solutions.

:dms: 1812 - Overlord

As for who should post the next competiton (Votart or mi2), whoever gets there first :)
Attachments
SonicResults.zip
(22.43 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Re: ARFC A 244: Sonic Results

Postby Overlord » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:36 pm

I didn't realize you could get to the hanging part of the catcher with just 3 plates, congratulations all, this was a very enjoyable contest and I'm happy for my dark medal. The jackhammer solution rocks.
All ARFC A contests and solutions 1st-255th: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2245
A tool to copy .lvl2 files to \Levels dir when opened: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2374
Overlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby mi2 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:50 pm

uhh dint thought there are so many ways to do this level. nice jackhammer mark :twisted: . but im the only one whit a non cloth using catcher.

votart i would like give you the chance to host the next contest :D
inventor of the mi2 launcher :)
mi2

Postby markmadras » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:34 pm

Thank you for the compliments re: the jackhammer, that was the easy solution, just for once the Dillo landed in just the right place no tweaking needed, it only took about ten minutes to do.

mi2, I tried for a long time to get a non cloth catcher to work, got fairly close but not close enough, the Dillo just would not stop in the right place. Well done for getting it to work.

Congrats to the winners and all who took part.
markmadras

Postby Votart Silak » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:17 pm

There was an idea to make 1824, but has not developed, see attachment.
mi2, thanks for kindly given possibility to be the host of contest.
Attachments
ARFC_A_244_SonicTheArmadillo.1824-Votart Silak-don't work.lvl
(3.29 KiB) Downloaded 184 times
Votart Silak

Postby rob » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:03 pm

Nice solutions all. Having a hard hard time finding some free moments to enjoy this game lately. That's a shame because I missed out on some great levels. I didn't even come to a working solution on fences and my solution for this one could have used some more tweaking but at least it worked. Next week I should be able to spend some more time on the dillo I hope.

As for Overlords twilight solution, I think the clanking is no problem. You can get that effect with pure welding wich is considered light. The overlapping at start of the level is dark however. It's a tough call but I think you made the right decision.
Attachments
ARFC_A_244_SonicTheArmadillo.1764-Rob-TooLate.lvl
(3.36 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
rob

Postby jhep » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:22 pm

hey i don't think overlord's solution was dark, it's normal welding... plus the overlapping nodes at the start don't help anything thats just a way to put the right size for everything, example in votart silak's winning solution the cloth is on the bar... so what?
jhep

Postby rob » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:14 pm

Have to agree that's a borderline case as well. Both don't realy abuse the ovderlapping but if you allow overlapping in light solutions it is very hard to draw the line where it starts getting dark.
rob

Postby Votart Silak » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:23 am

jhep wrote: example in votart silak's winning solution the cloth is on the bar... so what?

In my solution there are no powers of darkness. See attachment. :D

EDIT: In Overlord's solution dark force has helped to increase instantly length of a metal bar and to be hooked. See Dark force proof. :wink:
Attachments
Dark force proof.Dark and Light.lvl
(574 Bytes) Downloaded 181 times
ARFC_A_244_SonicTheArmadillo.1810-Votart Silak-Light Fin LIGHT.lvl
(3.35 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Votart Silak

Return to "A" league