ARFC A CXCVI Get_it Results

The easier general contest type that runs twice per week.

Moderator: Moderators

ARFC A CXCVI Get_it Results

Postby Cresta » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:57 pm

Many many submission!
Have a look at the results file!

:lms: to V4nKw15h, 2914!
:dms: to wolterw, 2918!

The best light score without using the ropes is from wolterw, his solution is what I was thinking about when I designed the level... I included mine solution just for making the list longer.. :wink: I like it when it's long :roll:

Congrats everyone who participated!

KEEP THE LEVELS SMALL! :D

Cresta
Attachments
Results.rar
(13.49 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Cresta
Armadeus

Re: ARFC A CXCVI Get_it Results

Postby V4nKw15h » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:28 pm

That's alot of results!

I only saw these results a few minutes before going to bed, and all levels I've designed are on another computer at work so I'll not get a chance to post until about 10:00GMT in the morning.

Wolterw, if you see this before I get a chance to post, and you have a level you would like to post, feel free to host the next competition. I don't mind one bit. Otherwise I've got a nice small level ready to post in the morning.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby ToonyMan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:29 pm

Biggest list I've seen! 8)

I like my solution, I have a habit of only submitting one result now. :lol:

(My best one.)
ToonyMan

Postby wolterw » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:26 am

I have nothing ready to post, V4nKw15h. We will wait for your level in the morning.
What I do have ready is what is probably the perfect solution for this level. The Light improves $18 over the best light solution and the Dark improves $26 over the best dark solution submitted.
Am I stupid or what ?
Attachments
ARFC_A_CXCVI_Get_it.2944_wolterw_Off Contest Dark.lvl
(522 Bytes) Downloaded 94 times
ARFC_A_CXCVI_Get_it.2932_wolterw_Off Contest.lvl
(560 Bytes) Downloaded 102 times
wolterw
Light Master

Postby V4nKw15h » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:25 am

It sure was a big set of results. I hope to see that continue.

It's nice to see new players getting involved in it too.

See JimCDubb, I told you it wouldn't take you more than a few weeks to get used to the tricks of this game and start posting the big scores. In our first few competitions it can seem like it will take a million years to catch up with the other players but that just isn't true. A few competitions is usually enough to go from a complete beginner to within $20-$30 of the winning score.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby JimCDubb » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:33 pm

V4nKw15h wrote:See JimCDubb, I told you it wouldn't take you more than a few weeks to get used to the tricks of this game and start posting the big scores. In our first few competitions it can seem like it will take a million years to catch up with the other players but that just isn't true. A few competitions is usually enough to go from a complete beginner to within $20-$30 of the winning score.

You're right. I'm just not sure if I have the time and patience to tweak off that last $20-30 every time :? .
JimCDubb

Postby V4nKw15h » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:06 pm

Well you will find that the tweaking part speeds up too. I spent no longer that 90 minutes on this competition and if you look in the results you will see I did it 3 different ways in that time.

The first time you try to tweak a catcher it can take hours to get it to catch, but the next time you try it you will know how to do it. Then it only takes 5-10 minutes. You also learn what is possible and what isn't so you don't waste time trying to achieve the impossible. The moment I tried to make my winning catcher I knew I needed to put metal bars in it to make it swing like that. That came from experience not hours of tweaking.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby JimCDubb » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:41 pm

That's good news, because I ran out of patience quickly on your Olympics launcher. I never even made it to the ramp.
JimCDubb

Postby V4nKw15h » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:49 pm

JimCDubb wrote:That's good news, because I ran out of patience quickly on your Olympics launcher. I never even made it to the ramp.

Yeah, I forget that type of thing sometimes. But that was a B league level. It was designed for people like Cresta, Mikee, Wolterw, CN, TSchultz but I think even they found it to be a little too much. I never really expected the newer players to get very far with it.

I have made a few B league levels like that where the plan was to push things to the extreme. Like finding the most powerful launcher, the most powerful sling, or putting the portal as far as possible away from an anchor point. I learned a great deal by making the launcher for this B league. I know how to push it to the limit and keep it stable now. You will get to see the fruits of my labour tomorrow. I'll include my solution to the level with the results. Yes I solved it light with money to spare.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby JimCDubb » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:44 pm

V4nKw15h wrote: Yeah, I forget that type of thing sometimes. But that was a B league level. It was designed for people like Cresta, Mikee, Wolterw, CN, TSchultz but I think even they found it to be a little too much. I never really expected the newer players to get very far with it.

And I think that's fine. The B league is a challenge for us. Sometimes just to solve them is an accomplishment, whether it's competitive or not. It's all a good learning process.
JimCDubb

Return to "A" league