ARFC_A_CXCII - RoundTheBend2 - Results

The easier general contest type that runs twice per week.

Moderator: Moderators

ARFC_A_CXCII - RoundTheBend2 - Results

Postby V4nKw15h » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:52 pm

:arrow: Great competition. It's so good to see everyone enjoying and competing in the level. Thanks to all who sent in their entries even though they knew they were beaten. It's always good to see the various solutions.

There were lots of variations on the launcher. CN provided the only $48 launcher. I think WolterW had one too but he sent me the wrong file I think. Take a look yourself wolter. The file you sent fails to even get up the slope. I only just realised as I was going through the results, so feel free to post it if you want to show your variation on the $48 launcher.
However, the award goes to:

Best Light: :lms: 1880 Mikee7

Not only did Mikee find a way to use the same materials to get it around the corner and across the bottom, but he sent me his solution on the second day. He's been sitting there with a cheeky smile on his face, I bet, while everyone was fighting over scores in the lower 1870's :D (How long did it take to tweak that catch Mikee?)

Non Vet Medal:
:lms: 1690 ToonyMan - It's good to see new people especially those who enjoy getting involved with the banter on the forum. Welcome ToonyMan. I'm sure you will learn a lot looking at the results for this competition. A word of warning, cheap solutions like these take LOTS of tweaking. Expect to spend an hour or more sometimes tweaking the same node over and over until it does what you want it to.

As a final note: Might I suggest you keep things simple for the next competition Mikee. Just about everyone had a go at this one, so it seems a level with a simple solution but plenty of room for tweakability is the way forward for A league. Only a suggestion though.

Edit: I've included a second file with my own crazy $46 launcher.
Attachments
ARFC_A_CXCII_RoundTheBend2.46Dollar Launcher.lvl
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
RoundtheBend_Results.zip
(13.55 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Last edited by V4nKw15h on Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Re: ARFC_A_CXCII - RoundTheBend2 - Results

Postby V4nKw15h » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:18 pm

Whooah, I've been playing with this $46 launcher. It can create some serious force. It's dark really, although it doesn't fit with anything we would normally consider to be dark force.

CN's $48 launcher is also technically dark. Tense rope doesn't act like it would in the real world. My example simply abuses this dark force and makes it more noticeable. I've included a file showing the launcher break due to the game having no idea how to dissipate the force. Notice it's not the rope that breaks but the metal bar.

Take a look.
Attachments
ARFC_A_CXCII_RoundTheBend2.46DollarLauncherExplodes.lvl
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
ARFC_A_CXCII_RoundTheBend2.46DollarLauncher2.lvl
(1.22 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby ToonyMan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:33 pm

Sweet! I only needed about $90 to get a Not-Vet award. :D
ToonyMan

Postby JimCDubb » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:17 pm

V4nKw15h wrote::arrow:
Non Vet Medal:
:lms: 1786 JimCDubb - Let me know if you are a Vet yet Jim. I think you must be already. If you are I'd love to give ToonyMan the Non-Vet medal.

V4nKw15h,
To be honest, I'm not sure if I'm considered a vet or not. I have a few (not sure how many) non-vet medals and one Dark Medal, but I have not technically won a competition yet. If three non-vet medals qualify me as a vet, by all means, pass this one along to Toony. :wink:
JimCDubb

Postby V4nKw15h » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:32 pm

@JimCDubb - Yeah, 3 medals of any type and you are considered a veteran.

I guess when this number was decided there were more Non-Veteran players competing against each other, so it took more effort to claim Veteran status.

However, changing the rules is rather pointless considering that we are no longer really updating the medal counts. I don't think anyone really cares about medals anymore anyway. I think it's just all about the challenge of going for the top score.

It's still nice to award new players for their efforts though, so well done ToonyMan. You get your first medal. Good luck with the next competition. I've updated the results to reflect this.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby wolterw » Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:53 pm

I sent you the wrong file. It is irrelevant at this point in time considering the 1880 score achieved by Mikee 'The Shadow' 7.
Just in case it may interest anyone I am attaching my nice, clean and light 46 dollar launcher.
Attachments
ARFC_A_CXCII_RoundTheBend2.46 bucks launcher.lvl
(1.2 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
wolterw
Light Master

Postby ToonyMan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:03 pm

Thank You, although there was no one else that I competed with. :wink:
ToonyMan

Postby mikee7 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:05 pm

To be honest i has exepted some crazy 1882 or even more from you guys. I'm honestly dissapointed :lol:
I had also my 48$ launcher but it blocks the way so it was unusable for me.
mikee7
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby TSchultz » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:41 pm

mikee7 wrote:To be honest i has exepted some crazy 1882 or even more from you guys. I'm honestly dissapointed :lol:
I had also my 48$ launcher but it blocks the way so it was unusable for me.

My 46$ launcher did that too (Light and clean like wolterw's), which was why I didn't try that much to tweak it. I'll upload it when I get home. I do think 1886 L is very possible though.
I have another idea i'll try when I get home that has a better chance...
TSchultz
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby TSchultz » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:34 pm

I had the same strat as mikee7.

EDIT: Almost at 1886... Launcher still in the way though...

EDIT 2: If only I had thought of this tweak before I left for work...

EDIT 3: Wow... it's not even long enough... Back to the drawing board... (Not really though)

EDIT 4: Here's a 1884... I think it's the best with this strat.

EDIT 5: Just because.... 1888 D. Better launcher could be made probably... The one I made was too strong.
Attachments
ARFC_A_CXCII_RoundTheBend2.1888-TSchultz-Dark Sad Face.lvl
(1.48 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
ARFC_A_CXCII_RoundTheBend2.1884-TSchultz-Sad Face.lvl
Working solution! Huzzah!
(1.49 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
ARFC_A_CXCII_RoundTheBend2.1886 - God Mode ALMOST.lvl
(1.49 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
ARFC_A_CXCII_RoundTheBend2.1886 - God (Dangit) Mode.lvl
(1.49 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
TSchultz
Contest Veteran