ARFC A CLXXXIX Contest (till 01.08 at 15:00 GMT)

The easier general contest type that runs twice per week.

Moderator: Moderators

ARFC A CLXXXIX Contest (till 01.08 at 15:00 GMT)

Postby V4nKw15h » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:52 am

I haven't done one of these for a while. Sorry it took a while to get it up.

This might seem like it's easy, then on closer inspection quite difficult, but ultimately when I tried to solve it I had a solution in 10 minutes. It wasn't exactly cheap though, so I'm interested to see what everyone can come up with for this one.

You may post scores if you wish to. It's obvious that banning score posting doesn't create more players but it definitely kills the community spirit. I like it when people chat about a level and if score bluffing helps to achieve that then that's good for us all.

Please submit whatever solution you might get to this one even if you don't think it will win.

Solutions to fravigar@hotmail.com or PM.
Attachments
ARFC_A_CLXXXIX_Tiny.lvl
(128 Bytes) Downloaded 146 times
Last edited by V4nKw15h on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Re: ARFC A CLXXXIX Contest (till 01.08 at 15:00 GMT)

Postby V4nKw15h » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:27 pm

Okay, I see a couple of downloads already, so let's see if we can kick some life back into these forums.

How about some feedback on the level. I was in two minds about this one. Although I solved it very quickly, I can imagine that if you don't have the same idea that I had it might seem impossible. It would be nice to know that people are having some success with it, or if you need a clue on the technique that I used. Heck, maybe I missed something, and it's ridiculously easy.

I'm just trying to get people chatting on here about the levels again. It's still a fun game, but rather pointless with the low numbers of active players.

Get back in here CN and throw down some of your crazy scores. You too Ioncorpse, FF, ASAM, Ikerous. And what about Hersmunch and Drago. At least say hello if you aren't free enough to compete.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby ddavex » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:08 am

I've managed $410 by putting two sheets of metal either side of the 'dillo and pushing them together with some weighty bars so that he gets squeezed up into the portal. The difficult bit is getting the balance just right, problem with this level is that you have to do endless tweaking to get a working solution which I imagine most people don't have the time to do.
ddavex
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby V4nKw15h » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:53 am

ddavex wrote:I've managed $410 by putting two sheets of metal either side of the 'dillo and pushing them together with some weighty bars so that he gets squeezed up into the portal. The difficult bit is getting the balance just right, problem with this level is that you have to do endless tweaking to get a working solution which I imagine most people don't have the time to do.

Strange, my solution balances itself without tweaking. Well, minor tweaking. Maybe 1 minute worth of it. It sits rock solid even after the dillo vanishes.

But I guess if you are going for the cheapest solution, like always, some major tweaking is required. On Crestas last level I spent nearly 2 hours tweaking my winning solution to balance. $10 cheaper was easy, but two hours work to save the $10.

It's always difficult to get a level just right. If it's too obvious everyone ends up with the same result.

Originally the portal on this one was much higher and smaller and off centre (forcing much more tweaking) but I changed it so it wasn't such hard work. See attached for original if you want a harder challenge. Hey, let's say that if it's a tie for 1st place (which is quite possible on this level), then you can prove you are the best by completing the harder version (again, my method lets me build a solution to this in a matter of 2 minutes, no major tweaking). The medals now are irrelevant really anyway.

But I have two solutions submitted so far and they are within $2 of each other. Come on Cresta :)
Attachments
TinyHarder.lvl
(128 Bytes) Downloaded 135 times
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby ioncorpse » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:10 am

I'm trying to look at all levels, posted there & their solutions, but i don't have time to solve them... Maybe i'll compete in other ones, but not right now ;)
Feel the Power of the Dark Side.
ioncorpse
Champion of Darkness
Champion of Darkness

Postby mikee7 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:12 pm

ddavex wrote:I've managed $410 by putting two sheets of metal either side of the 'dillo and pushing them together with some weighty bars so that he gets squeezed up into the portal. The difficult bit is getting the balance just right, problem with this level is that you have to do endless tweaking to get a working solution which I imagine most people don't have the time to do.

Same method here, but i dont think it needs endless tweaking(few minutes max.), it's not so hard , not as the "TinyHarder" which extreme difficulty lies in nonsymetric design, and i'm dieing to see V4nKw15h's solution...
mikee7
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby CN Player » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:31 am

420L
CN Player
Light Master

Postby V4nKw15h » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:12 am

Thanks for the entries so far. I've received from 3 players. ddavex, CN, and mikee7.

This is a real close one and I'm impressed by both the quality and the variety of the results so far.

Only one solution for TinyHarder from mikee7. Thanks for that, but you are probably aware you are $100's off what is possible. So if anyone is bored give that one a go. It cost me only $30+ more to do than the best result I've had so far for the normal version.

Where is decsystem10, wolterw and JimCDubb? They seemed active recently. I love seeing all solutions, I don't care about cost and who wins.

Good Luck all, 1 day to go.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby JimCDubb » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:48 pm

I've got a few solutions coming to you. Still trying to get the cost down.
I can't get past $388 light, but I've got a $426 dark solution.
Don't think I'm going to have time to spend on the harder one.
JimCDubb

Postby mikee7 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:08 pm

428 L is quiet possible, just can't tweak it out( 0.4 sec missing :evil: )
For the harder one i submitted a solution named "silly" which explains everything, that was just for fun, i dont have time (and nerves neither :) ) to work on it!
mikee7
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby CN Player » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:48 am

mikee7 wrote:428 L is quiet possible, just can't tweak it out( 0.4 sec missing :evil: )
For the harder one i submitted a solution named "silly" which explains everything, that was just for fun, i dont have time (and nerves neither :) ) to work on it!

yes,I get it with ARTweaker.
CN Player
Light Master

Postby V4nKw15h » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:44 am

There has been a really good response to this one. I have about 15 solutions already, and they are all very impressive and what surprises me most is how varied they are.

When I first posted this level, I hadn't tested it too much. I was worried everyone would end up with identical results. Nothing could be further from the truth. I don't think any two solutions are the same, or even that similar. When I post the results later be sure to take a look through them all because it's fascinating how everyone went about solving this.

As for TinyHarder. I still have only one solution to this. Obviously that's not a problem, I posted it more for added value for those who wanted to try something else. I'll include my solution for it later with the other results. It's very easy really.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Return to "A" league