ARFC A CXXXVII Results

The easier general contest type that runs twice per week.

Moderator: Moderators

ARFC A CXXXVII Results

Postby Cresta » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:25 pm

Just want to say:

:arrow: 37

I apologize because I didn't thought this lvl would have been too easy for dark resolution, and light solutions would have been at least "ambiguous"....

Anyway, I got many solutions, and I hope you all got fun!

Here the results:

NON VETS

:lms: & :dms: to beonny, congratulations, welcome to the vet category!

VETS

This is a hard-to-solve situation:
Let start from the sure things:

:dms: to V4nKw15h, ioncorpse and ASAM with identic solutions, 2944

The light medal is the hardest part.... :oops:
Here are the light-declared entries :

1) FF 2942
2) wolterw 2940 - (2930)
3) ASAM 2936 - (2932)
4) Ikerous 2928 - (2926)
4) V4nKw15h 2928 - (2924)

I think there is a bit of darkness in nearly every solution...
I would give the light medal to FF, in order not to create chaos, but I want to leave the final decision up to the community...

Sorry for the inconvenience!!

Here is the zip file:

Cresta
Attachments
Levels.zip
(14.38 KiB) Downloaded 155 times
Cresta
Armadeus

Postby FF » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:32 pm

Please tell me what is dark in any of light-declared solutions?!
FF
Light Master

Postby Cresta » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:41 pm

uff....

Yours: the piece of cloth is lift by the force produced by the interaction of the metal bar with the node, don't think that the only metal plate going down is enough to lift the dillo..

wolter's: there is an initial bonce that is not light, you see, but is difficoult to prove if it is necessary to the solution or not...

ASAM: bar initially lifted with the force IMO

Ike and V4nKw15h: don't know. Maybe they are light!

Anyway, I want to give you the medal, so don't worry!
Cresta
Armadeus

Postby FF » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:55 pm

You are rude :/
FF
Light Master

Postby Ikerous » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:58 pm

FF wrote:You are rude :/

Lol, what's rude about pointing out possible darkness? If anything it makes for good discussion and helps clarify otherwise very vague rules.

Overlapping + movement is generally considered dark, and that does happen in FF's solution, but the movement hardly seems to directly lead to the solution of the level so I'd overlook it if I were host and give the medal to FF.
Ikerous
Light Master

Postby V4nKw15h » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:09 pm

Okay my personal opinions on the various supposed light solutions.

FF 2942: Dark. The cloth node overlapping the metal plate is considered Dark by the rules. Quote from the rules: "This includes any form of overlapping materials with endnodes and "the force" that is generated by them in specific configurations".
It's specifically mentioned in the rules so my vote is Dark for this one.

Wolterw 2940: Dark. He breaks the same rule as FF. He starts with a metal bar overlapping an anchor point. This can be seen easily right at the start as the top metal bar jumps up out of the anchor point. Very visible force involved at the start. Notice that I classed any of my solutions like this as Dark.
Even in the 2930 solution this effect is visible at the start. If you try to tweak it so the bar doesn't jump, the ball falls off. The force and the resulting jump is what allows this solution to succeed. The same way the jump lets the 2944 dark solutions work.

ASAM 2936: Light by the rules but the rules are wrong. Take a real look at this. I have discussed this dark force before and was mistakenly told I was wrong. Here it is shown more clearly than ever. I previously claimed a solution by CN Player was dark when he had two metal bars sitting on top of each other as a counter weight but I think everyone can see the resulting force here once I prove it.
Take a look at what is involved. He has only two metal bars on the left side of the anchor point. Somehow this is heavier than 1 metal bar, 2 pieces of rope, a piece of cloth and the dillo itself. I've attached a file which shows that without the use of force this isn't true. The Dillo side should weigh considerably more. See below
There is force at play in this solution and lots of it. I've noticed it before in many solutions and I can see no better example of it than here.
But it's not in the rules, and it should be. This game has a problem with any type of overlapping materials, even if no anchor points are involved.

2928 Ikerous: Light. No visible overlapping nodes and materials. No overlapping materials. No visible sign or evidence of force.

2928 V4nKwish: Light. No visible overlapping nodes and materials. No overlapping materials. No visible sign or evidence of force.

Personally I don't care who wins and I mean no offense to anyone.

I would suggest no light medal is awarded for this level because it will only turn into an arguement. If no light medal is awarded we can look at the situation objectively and try and include new rules governing these overlapping metal bars.

Cresta wrote:Anyway, I want to give you the medal, so don't worry!

If FF and Wolterw can claim overlapping materials with endnodes is light, then all 3 of the winning Dark solutions are also light and so they would be the winning solution. Obviously they are not and neither are FF's or wolterw's.

ASAM's solution proves so clearly that lots of force is created simply by sitting two metal bars on top of each other as a weight. Again, see the attached files for proof.

Filename: Proof. Matches ASAM's supposed equally balanced objects. 2 Metal bars vs 1 metal bar, 2 pieces of rope, 1 piece of cloth and the Dillo.
The Dillo side weighs considerably more.

Filename: Extreme Proof: Shows that 2 metal bars don't even weigh more than the 2 pieces of rope, the cloth and the dillo. Ignoring the extra metal bar that exists on the Dillo side in ASAM's solution.
The Dillo side still weighs considerably more.

This same force can be seen in CN Players supposed light solution to that No Product Placement level. In this example, he manages to make 2 metal bars weigh more than 9 pieces of rubber!!! Now tell me there is no force involved when overlapping metal bars.
Attachments
ARFC_B_LXV_NoProductPlacement.2826-CN_Player-Light.lvl
(6.14 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
Proof.lvl
(444 Bytes) Downloaded 147 times
ExtremeProof.lvl
(406 Bytes) Downloaded 142 times
Last edited by V4nKw15h on Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Ikerous » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:46 pm

Replace the catcher on mine with 1,2,3,etc metal bars and it still rotates. Don't have a clue where the force is coming from,

Vankwish wins?
Ikerous
Light Master

Postby V4nKw15h » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:50 pm

Ikerous wrote:Replace the catcher on mine with 1,2,3,etc metal bars and it still rotates. Don't have a clue where the force is coming from,

Vankwish wins?

Yours is slightly different. I don't see any force still in yours. The metal bar on the left hangs much further away from the pivot point creating much more weight (momentum). You need to multiply the mass of an object by it's distance from the point of rotation.

So 1 metal bar that is 2 metres from the pivot will balance 2 metal bars that are only 1 metre from the pivot on the other side.

Your's is still light Ikerous. Well in my opinion.

And while we are on the subject of force and the rules. Welding should be banned from light solutions. It creates huge ammounts of force.

I have included two files proving this. Both files show that the moment objects overlap dark force is created and a lot of it. I've again included an Extreme example of this, showing just how much force a simple weld creates.
Attachments
WeldingCreatesForceExtreme.lvl
(496 Bytes) Downloaded 149 times
WeldingCreatesForce.lvl
(496 Bytes) Downloaded 148 times
Last edited by V4nKw15h on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Ikerous » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:56 pm

V4nKw15h wrote:
Ikerous wrote:Replace the catcher on mine with 1,2,3,etc metal bars and it still rotates. Don't have a clue where the force is coming from,

Vankwish wins?

Yours is slightly different. I don't see any force still in yours. The metal bar on the left hangs much further away from the pivot point creating much more weight (momentum). You need to multiply the mass of an object by it's distance from the point of rotation.

So 1 metal bar that is 2 metres from the pivot will balance 2 metal bars that are only 1 metre from the pivot on the other side.

Your's is still light Ikerous. Well in my opinion.

I added about 20 metal bars on the right side and it still didn't change directions... but yeah, I don't have a clue where the force could come from, especially with the low amount of weight. I can understand with 15-20 bars it adds pressure and creates a force or something. I rly don't know if mine is light or dark.
Ikerous
Light Master

Postby V4nKw15h » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:16 pm

Jesus tap-dancing Christ, you are right. I also have no idea where the force is coming from in your solution. I even extended out the other side so the weight is at the same distance and it takes 3 metal bars to balance the 1 on the other side. Very strange.

Edit: Actually I have worked out where the force is coming from. It is coming from the rope. I realised this after I managed to balance both sides and saw that the rope was still shaking constantly.

At the start of the level the weight of the Dillo stretches both pieces of rope. The game then complains internally that the rope is longer than it should be and tries to shorten it. This pulls down the metal bar creating rotation. But the dillo continues to stretch the rope and the game continues to try and shorten it. It creates unnatural force. It's another unfortunate problem with the coding of the physics engine. It's dark but the rules are currently too vague to cater for it.

Well I don't want the medal even if everyone and their dog thinks mine is the only light solution. I'd rather nobody got the medal and we changed the rules because of this.

I think we can simplify the rules down as such. I have proved in this thread that both welding and any type of simple overlapping creates large ammounts of force, so......

Light Solution = anything that obeys the natural laws of physics in the real world. No overlapping materials in any way shape or form. No overlapping of materials with end nodes, or anchor points. Nothing that can be proved to defy the laws of physics (including magically balanced rope and cloth).
This would also include no overlapping metal bars. I've proved in this thread that this also creates force. It is because the metal bars are trying to occupy the same point in space. It's not physically possible and the game creates dark force trying to seperate them. Most of the time this creates some form of rotation.

Dark Solutions = everything else.

I see no point in complaining that welding adds more interest to solutions because you can still weld away but it will just be Dark. Same for balanced rope and cloth. Same for any overlapping materials.

Why try to squeeze impossible solutions into the light side? It creates only confusion for everyone.

I suggest we simplify the whole thing and lose all of this confusion. It's so simple really. If it's physically possible and obeys the laws of physics then it's light, otherwise it's dark. Job done. Then nobody will be confused about any of it any more.

I hope nobody thinks I'm speaking out of turn considering that I haven't been playing for very long. I'm only stating my opinions and I will happily accept whatever the majority considers appropriate.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:07 am

Cresta, you would've had 46 if I'd sent mine :oops:
Attachments
ARFC_A_CXXXVII_Momentum--JustcallmeDrago.zip
(4.23 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby CN Player » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:06 am

I think FF's light is light,becasue it does not use force.
Let us go on,FF please host the next contest.
CN Player
Light Master

Postby Ikerous » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:39 am

CN Player wrote:I think FF's light is light,becasue it does not use force.
Let us go on,FF please host the next contest.

Overlapping end nodes is dark
Ikerous
Light Master

dark & light

Postby ASAM » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:12 am

I`m sure, that FF 2944 is dark. Because the Cloth is movig after start. if it will`t move FF gets another score.
Also 2940 wolterw - the metal bar is moving.
I`m not sure about mine solution - Firstly, I wont to say that I`m not accepting the "WeldingCreatesForce" - may be endpoints of metal bar is more heavy than we think (there are 2 endpoints on the left and 3 on the right).
Then look at the "moment arm" in my solution - we should count them NOT FROM anchor.
Also I`m thinking, that right-top metal bar adds some noise to the constraction - not the Force.
I`ll accept if you decode that there are no light medal. But I`m against from giving it to FF or wolterw
Last edited by ASAM on Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASAM
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby ASAM » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:18 am

also I`m accept changing light rules, but I`m agains from "no overlapping metal bars. ". I think, that you can do it if there are no overlapping endpoints and metal bars. Also for cloth. May be also for metal plate if there are no moving of one plate inside the second.

About solutions - I think, e should ask our Dark Master - Ioncorpse.
ASAM
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Next

Return to "A" league