ARFC A CXXXVI Competition - Boxed - Ends 17/12/07 @ 12:00GMT

The easier general contest type that runs twice per week.

Moderator: Moderators

ARFC A CXXXVI Competition - Boxed - Ends 17/12/07 @ 12:00GMT

Postby V4nKw15h » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:56 am

Welcome to the 136th A league: Boxed

Competition ends 17/12/2007 @ 12:00GMT

Again we hope to see the presence of many non-vet players, because N is closed...
There will be a vet winner and a non-vet one

Posting scores is FORBIDDEN! We need to have a new vote before changing this rule I believe. Possibly making A league and B league different on this rule to test response

Discussing your solution is permitted if you so wish.

Most of all have fun. All entries are welcome to give a fun results file for everyone to view. Send everything, even those stupid first solutions that cost the earth :)

Submissions to: fravigar@hotmail.com

Contest rules link: http://armadillo.metaclassofnil.com/for ... .php?t=277

Naming convention is:
[DollarsRemaining]-[YourForumName]-[SolutionName]

Example:
3500-V4nKw15h-Mine

GMT Time link: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/

Finally, sorry it's a little big. I wanted to get a competition posted, and after realising I'd messed up with a level that was too easy to solve, this was the next closest to complete. I hope it's not too hard for the new players.
It's also an expensive level to solve, so don't think there is some magic solution to it. But you may of course attempt to find a crazy magic solution.
For those that haven't noticed, B league is also running again.
Attachments
ARFC_A_CXXXVI_Boxed.lvl
(4.62 KiB) Downloaded 137 times
Last edited by V4nKw15h on Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby ioncorpse » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:50 am

IMHO: Too big for A league.
And where is then END date oа this competition?
Feel the Power of the Dark Side.
ioncorpse
Champion of Darkness
Champion of Darkness

Postby Cresta » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:02 pm

Don't think this lvl fits to A league...
When I'll came to a solution, tweaking will not be possible, due to the big dimensions of the map, and to the hard tweaking related to the tensioned things...
Cresta
Armadeus

Postby V4nKw15h » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:05 pm

Hmmm, well is it really so bad? Tweaking the tension things isn't hard at all, just drop it on them and tweak for desired angle. Drop from higher to launch it higher.

Size yes, it's big, but not exactly rocket science. There is only really one hard part. I don't understand why you think tweaking will not be possible.

It took a long time to plan and test this level. To dismiss it so quickly and throw it away would be such a shame. Give it a chance.

It's better than no level isn't it?
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby ioncorpse » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:08 pm

Ok, but i'll ask once more: "What is the end date of this comp?"
Feel the Power of the Dark Side.
ioncorpse
Champion of Darkness
Champion of Darkness

Postby V4nKw15h » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:49 pm

ioncorpse wrote:Ok, but i'll ask once more: "What is the end date of this comp?"

I updated that at the same time as my last post. 17/12/2007 @ 12:00GMT
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Cresta » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:42 pm

V4nKw15h wrote:Hmmm, well is it really so bad? Tweaking the tension things isn't hard at all, just drop it on them and tweak for desired angle. Drop from higher to launch it higher.

Size yes, it's big, but not exactly rocket science. There is only really one hard part. I don't understand why you think tweaking will not be possible.

It took a long time to plan and test this level. To dismiss it so quickly and throw it away would be such a shame. Give it a chance.

It's better than no level isn't it?

I'm playing it, and I admit that, although it's quite big, it is funny to play... :D
Cresta
Armadeus

Postby V4nKw15h » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:20 pm

Ah, good Cresta.

I can imagine at first glance it looks like a lot of work, but it really isn't. Most of it is quite easy to solve, it's just about keeping the ball moving fast and not being too scared to spend some money.

I guess if you are trying to solve each part with one piece of rope and a single metal plate it's a nightmare to solve, but I didn't design it to be done like that. I doubt that it's even possible.

My solution was expensive but not difficult. I can rebuild it in about 10 minutes at most. I suggest you all just solve it first without caring about how much it costs, then tweak the $$$$ away. He who tweaks best wins.

You will get frustrated only if you try to solve it too cheaply.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby FF » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:23 pm

Too much restricted matirials and methods. It makes baking beta solution making hard.
FF
Light Master

Postby V4nKw15h » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:56 pm

Stop thinking cheap FF and it all becomes nice and easy.

When I made it I had the same problem. I kept looking for cheap solutions. Just slap down those metal plates and dont worry about cost to begin with.

Really, if you forget cost, you can solve this really quickly. Then you can look back and think what can be thinned out.

It's a nice change of pace I think this level. We are all used to trying to solve everything with a piece of string and $6.

Consider yourself doing okay if you use 40 metal plates :) That's $800 alone.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:46 pm

V4nKw15h wrote:Stop thinking cheap FF and it all becomes nice and easy.

I am amazed at all the "it took 2 hours to make a PoC!! :(" because a PoC is supposed to be totally untweaked, and how long can it take to come up with one idea on how to solve a level??!!
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby TSchultz » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:26 am

V4nKw15h wrote:It's a nice change of pace I think this level. We are all used to trying to solve everything with a piece of string and $6.

Solving levels cheaply is more fun.
Usually.
TSchultz
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby V4nKw15h » Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:08 am

Okay, this level seems to be causing some feelings of :shock:

Don't let it scare you. It's really not that hard, and not so complicated to tweak either.

My solution was just a rollercoaster of 48 metal plates to keep the ball moving fast. It was expensive to make obviously. Once you have made a solution like that you will realise that there isn't so much you can tweak out of it.

You really should have it solved within 30 minutes. Then like any other level you can look back at it and see areas that can be solved a little cheaper.

Getting it across the bottom is the hardest part I found, but the solution came to me instantly when I thought "forget how much it costs, just make sure it's possible".

Just because it takes you 20 metal plates and 15 metal bars to solve a part of it, don't think you are doing something wrong. I almost took cloth away too. My solution used nothing but rope, metal bars and metal plates.

I took out tension and timers because part of it was actually CHEAPER to solve using tension and timers and I wanted to force the rollercoaster idea.

However, all your comments are noted, and I'll keep things smaller and more traditional if and when I prepare another A level. Sorry to anyone put off from playing this one.
V4nKw15h
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby TSchultz » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:54 pm

The main problem for me is not solving the level.
It is tweaking it.... It's really boring especially when I have to wait almost 30 seconds every time to tweak my catcher.
TSchultz
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby CN Player » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:11 am

it's so difficult for me.
It took me 3 hrs and $1000 to make the a POC
CN Player
Light Master

Next

Return to "A" league