ARF A Contest #70 RESULTS

The easier general contest type that runs twice per week.

Moderator: Moderators

ARF A Contest #70 RESULTS

Postby Cresta » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:13 pm

Well now:

Light winners are:

FF (Not registered yet, good job guy! :D )
and
Wolterw
both with 2904! :wink:

Dark medal goes to Njaa, with a score of 2912! :twisted:

Cresta
Attachments
#70 A Results.rar
(17.36 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
Cresta
Armadeus

Postby Njaa » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:19 pm

This is where I come in and whine about the rules :)

Cresta is entirely right saying my entry is dark according to the current rules. Am I the only one that wants to change the rules though?

There is no way that the effects of traveling outside of the boundaries isn't intentional from Stock's side. It's not using a bug, and should therefore not be called dark or illegal. If he intended it to be like this, he would have put "level failed" checkers on all sides, not just the bottom. Having this rule makes no sense.

The attached files show another problem with this rule. Both solutions use the exact same effect, but one is legal and the other isn't. How is this reasonable?
Attachments
eksempel.ok.lvl
light solution
(674 Bytes) Downloaded 149 times
eksempel.not ok.lvl
dark solution
(484 Bytes) Downloaded 166 times
Njaa
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby mark_man » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:21 pm

Nice to see alot of new people takeing part, just a bit shit that there are winning......... :lol:
Last edited by mark_man on Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm Just A Simple Man.
Please for everyone don't believe ANY scores I post .... :D :twisted:
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby mark_man » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:41 pm

Njaa wrote:This is where I come in and whine about the rules :)

Cresta is entirely right saying my entry is dark according to the current rules. Am I the only one that wants to change the rules though?

There is no way that the effects of traveling outside of the boundaries isn't intentional from Stock's side. It's not using a bug, and should therefore not be called dark or illegal. If he intended it to be like this, he would have put "level failed" checkers on all sides, not just the bottom. Having this rule makes no sense.

The attached files show another problem with this rule. Both solutions use the exact same effect, but one is legal and the other isn't. How is this reasonable?
Well this example has only been played out the once in an actual comp and it affected me getting a medal if i can remember correctly .The answer is that the competition holders decision is final when a gray area unfolds .IMO both the solutions that you just gave example to are dark in my opinion.IMO the game maker just never expected the game to take off (in the on-line way) ,In the way that it has.So he hadn't taken all this into account so it's up to us all collectively to call the shots on what the rules are to be.
If I am the contest host then I will defiantly let you all know the second i see your submission that I have issues with it and therefor advise you in advance of any controversial decision I make.As of now this is the only example I can think of ,that I may differ on with some of the older members.
Last edited by mark_man on Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm Just A Simple Man.
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby gokou135 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:41 pm

Let me just offer a piece of advice from a few other games i have played, such as amtgard if any have heard of it.

When you change the rules, this offers confusion. Confusion generally turns new people off to a game, and many older people of the game become frusterated and forget the new rules due to long time playing of the old rules, which in turn turns them off to the game.

Secondly with the allowing of this "bug" to be used effectively in levels, it means that the rocket becomes a highly appreciated piece of building materials, which theoretically cuts some of the creativity out of the games for people.

Also their are alot of weird things that happen in this game that we could call bugs, such as when the armadillo does not fit through a hole, the sides of the hole are typically solid and do not compress or expand, yet somehow that armadillo falls through when wacked by a heavy object. Interesting.

I greatly oppose to the rule change if you couldnt tell.
gokou135
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby Ikerous » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:41 pm

I absolutely hate the rule that makes that solution dark. I definitely don't understand how anyone considers it a bug. Should definitely be changed.
Ikerous
Light Master

What?

Postby chubo » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:48 pm

Hi,
Sorry to be so provincial, but what does "just a bit shit that there are winning" mean? Brit slang?

With love and respect from a former colony,
Chuck
chubo
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby Njaa » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:05 pm

gokou135 wrote:Secondly with the allowing of this "bug" to be used effectively in levels, it means that the rocket becomes a highly appreciated piece of building materials, which theoretically cuts some of the creativity out of the games for people.

The rocket being or becoming a highly appreciated piece shouldn't have anything to say on whether or not it's a bug. That's purely a balance issue. If I had my way, nothing that happens after you press start would be considered dark. And also, all overlapping endpoints would make a solution dark. Not considering whether it "uses" the force or not. If overlapping endpoints are present, it's dark. Period. (if you don't "use" them, why can't you just remove them?) This would remove a lot of these gray areas. Gray areas are nothing but weaknesses or holes in the system (rules).

gokou135 wrote:Also their are alot of weird things that happen in this game that we could call bugs, such as when the armadillo does not fit through a hole, the sides of the hole are typically solid and do not compress or expand, yet somehow that armadillo falls through when wacked by a heavy object. Interesting.

I have no doubt this is also an intended effect. The full extent of this was seen in snowlords solution to the "think outside the box" contest (attachment). Albeit very weird, I wouldn't call it dark.

And as for people becoming confused with changes, I don't think this should be an argument. Changes come when they are needed (get used to it).
Attachments
think outside the box.snowlord-2488-AnimalCruelty.lvl
How ironic :o)
(2.4 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Njaa
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Re: What?

Postby mark_man » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:19 pm

chubo wrote:Hi,
Sorry to be so provincial, but what does "just a bit shit that there are winning......" mean? Brit slang?

With love and respect from a former colony,
Chuck

Upsettingand I have added some ..... just in case
No slang just a bit of good old jealousy :D
I'm Just A Simple Man.
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby mark_man » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:35 pm

Njaa wrote:
gokou135 wrote:5"]Also their are allot of weird things that happen in this game that we could call bugs, such as when the armadillo does not fit through a hole, the sides of the hole are typically solid and do not compress or expand, yet somehow that armadillo falls through when whacked by a heavy object. Interesting.

I have no doubt this is also an intended effect. The full extent of this was seen in snowlords solution to the "think outside the box" contest (attachment). Albeit very weird, I wouldn't call it dark.

And as for people becoming confused with changes, I don't think this should be an argument. Changes come when they are needed (get used to it).
The level above was never meant to be competitive and if for an example it was the highest score then it would have been considered dark IMO .When fitting through gaps (Not like the level you just posted)just a bit smaller than the Amarillo with a bit of force .Like in the Amarillo A comp resently I would assume that the ball isn't a solid and thats why it can fit.
I'm Just A Simple Man.
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby gokou135 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:55 pm

Im sorry there Njaa, if i had known my comment was going to get me whipped with a cat of ninetails like jesus i would have never said it.

Anyway, I was stating the balance issues that would come along with the change, if the change occurs that is not going to be enough to get me to stop playing armadillo run. In fact i think the only thing that can get me to stop playing is.....death.....my wife.....and if AR ever became a platformer with very little physics LOL. Peace
gokou135
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby Njaa » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:25 pm

Whipped? Let's not take things personal, I just wanted to discuss this :\
Njaa
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

oh yea

Postby gokou135 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:31 pm

oh yea, no i was just messing around as well. lol, sorry if i sounded mad, damn un-emotional non -body language keyboard typing ability lol, peace man all the way.
gokou135
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby mark_man » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:17 pm

Come on Wolterw ,It's up to you.
I'm Just A Simple Man.
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby dudiobugtron » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:01 am

Damn, looks like I missed the boat on this discussion!

I should have checked the forums over easter...

Anyway, I think that using the 'armadillo-falls-out' trick is a cheap way to get around building triggers/etc, and I think that it isn't bad that it is illegal.

However, since my first ever medal was won by using this trick I can't really talk :D
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Next

Return to "A" league