Contest #3 results

General discussions pertaining to the Armadillo Run Forum Contests should go here. Also contains the classic contest threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Contest #3 results

Postby PeterT » Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:55 pm

Contest #3 has come to a close, with 31 solutions sent in by 15 participants. There were lots of different approaches, and the winning one is completely unique compared to all others, which I find especially intriguing.

The general approaches to the problem can be categorized in 3 groups:
1) Over the top with tension (shooting)
2) Over the top without tension (bagging? ;))
3) Going down and up (as the name of the level suggested - and the winner followed this principle :!:)

Get the solutions here!

The above zip (compiled by Bob) contains the best effort by every author, and alternate solutions.

Here are some short descriptions and screenshots from a small selection of solutions:

Category 1:
This solution by FFT has a very strong shooting/deflecting mechanism and is a good example of a category 1 construction.

Ogre again built an interesting shooter, using a tensioned rope and weight instead of rubber.

Category 2:
My bag/carrying solution is somewhat interesting as it uses the same construction as a weight and catcher.

PP perfected the no-tension over the top approach with this solution, scoring an impressive $4736.

Category 3:
The winning solution by BFC is actually the only competitive solution of this type. It uses a swing, a weight to use the "natural tension" of the rope and a scoop for the last step. Absolutely ingenious!

Category Jedi:
There were actually 2 solutions cheaper than the above, however, they are only qualified to compete for the "dark" price due to using the force. One was by me, scoring $4812, the other by kingofthespill:
He scored $4844 and thus wins the EVIL award :twisted:.

So, to recap, this contest was perhaps the most interesting of all so far, with wildly different approaches all of which had a fair chance at winning. Congratulations to BFC (and kingofthespill), and thanks to everyone who participated. Special thanks to Bob for hosting the contest and providing the screenshots for this thread.
Last edited by PeterT on Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ogre » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:18 pm

So, BFC's claimed $4816 solution was just a bluff? Good one :)

I was frustratingly close to making a $10 cheaper version of my shooter this time (one less metal bar for weight), but could never quite get it. As is, it's $22 cheaper than a single compressed rubber, so was worth it. The first version that worked had 6 bars for weight and saved me two whole dollars :lol:

Great entries from everyone, very diverse!
Ogre
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby kingofthespill » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:26 pm

Great ideas everyone.
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Bob » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:36 pm

Congratulaions to BFC! I would never have suspected that a solution which takes the level's name literally would win.

Hosting a contest actually turned out to be quite fun, but now I'm looking forward to participating again in the next one.
Bob
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby FFT » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:01 pm

My solution involved a lot of work, I originally didn't think the dillo could fly left fast enough to get near the goal, it would only roll along the top of the rubber. It needed an extra metal support to guide it a bit farther. My initial catching mechanisms were much more complicated as well.

Oh well, first listing! woo

Haha, Bob did mine with a better catcher :(

Here's one I did for fun
FFT

Postby BFC » Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:53 pm

Sweetness :)

While my 4816 was technically a bluff I was at the time very close to getting that to work. I had my 4774 solution working well and it didn't seem very trimmed down to me and felt I could lose a section of cloth and a rod here or there to get down to 48xx range.

So let's call it a "semi" bluff :) hehe. It spurred some folks to think a bit more though I imagine!

I'm eager to review all the solutions and I'm sure they are all very good. Grats on the 4844 "evil" solution as well, very well played there!

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby stig » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:47 pm

congrats BFC,
great to see that the winner actualy went the way the level intended!!!
Maybe the rest of us shouldnt have discounted that so quickly.
stig

Postby PinkPanther » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:51 pm

I love the fact that there are so many different approaches, this can only be put down to the original design of a great level. As with most people, i originally tried the 'over the top with tension' capping at $4704. It was only due to the discussion in the contest thread that spurred me on to try a non-tensioned solution, untimately providing my most successful attempt! I really enjoyed this one, credit to the host.

PinkPanther
PinkPanther

Postby BFC » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:38 am

Well I'm not totally sure but I think I will be "hosting" the next level if the trend of the last 2 contests continues. I have what is hopefully a good one ;)

We'll see!!

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby skeletalphrame » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:49 pm

I have to say that you guys definitely put together some crafty solutions. The best I had done was 4648. My hat goes off to you guys!
skeletalphrame

Postby BioDroid » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:13 pm

BioDroid

Return to General Contest Discussion / Classic contest archive