Contest #2 results

General discussions pertaining to the Armadillo Run Forum Contests should go here. Also contains the classic contest threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby tmcsweeney » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:22 pm

Allowing pieces to intersect is (I think) an intended part of the game, the reason being that it allows you to build cross braced structures. (a box with two crossed struts bracing it). The fact that you can do it with all materials is a result of consistently applying that rule, and recognising that you might want to do that with all of different materials at different times.

Where it gets interesting is that the end nodes of each the material won't freely penetrate, which is why you get "The Force", and why the solutions to shis contest hold together and don't just slide apart
tmcsweeney

Postby PeterT » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:32 pm

Ogre wrote:Grand total in case you don't want to click the link: $3890.
Nice, I didn't expect it to be powerful enough to shoot over the top. So even with 3 days time the winning solution is not necessarily optimal.
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ogre » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:45 pm

PeterT wrote:
Ogre wrote:Grand total in case you don't want to click the link: $3890.
Nice, I didn't expect it to be powerful enough to shoot over the top.

I wasn't sure if it was, as I didn't figure out that shooter until I'd already decided underside catchers were going to be cheaper (the one I built was way cheaper than any of the over the top catchers I tried). The launcher I submitted wasn't quite full power, some tries were actually too strong and bounced off the top support and missed. But it was really close to maxed. I hadn't tried changing the anchor to get more vertical and less horizontal to go over the top until today. That's about the limit of that launcher right there, any configuration that would give it more power just snaps the elastic instead.
Ogre
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby squint » Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:10 pm

The impression I got from "the force" thread was that the fix would be an editor that doesn't allow the end points of one object to be embedded inside the length of another object, so I think a reasonable rule would be "anything you would be able to create with such an editor".

I dunno - your hook is really cool once it's in place, but actually creating it is a bit dodgy ;)
squint

Postby Armadillo Man » Mon Jun 19, 2006 8:32 am

Here's my crap solution (1110 left) - I had no idea how to solve this, and didn't really know any tricks for using rubber for anything else than shooting the dillo. But it looks kind of neat, so even though I didn't send it in (didn't take a rocket scientist to figure it wouldn't be among the top entries), here it is:

As you can see I just kind of tried to build a standard structure with rubber, and then used tension to ensure that it stayed somewhat stable (was still extremely unstable, though).

Anyway, congrats to all the entrants (and the winner(s), ofcourse :) )
Armadillo Man

Postby Andrew » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:06 pm

So... looking forward to the next contest... when does it start?
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby BFC » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:17 am

Andrew... are you AndrewC from the other forum?

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Andrew » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:45 am

BFC wrote:Andrew... are you AndrewC from the other forum?

-BFC

Damn, my super secret disguise has been foiled.
Yep, thats me. I don't really bother with aliases, my real name does fine... and if some other guy is as unimaginative as I am and has beaten me to it, then I start with the beginning of my second name.
Are there any other contests I should know about.. anyone? I'm extremely competitive by nature so knowing that other people are working on the same level as me & tweaking the hell out of my solution is great fun.
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby BFC » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:24 pm

I only know of the two forums. The eurogamer one is not even a forum for AR but more a single thread on a larger msg board.

I like having more than 1 contest a week myself :)

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Andrew » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:33 pm

Yep indeed.
I'm going to get you this time by the way!
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby Critters » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:36 pm

So when is the next comp? :)
Critters

Postby Andrew » Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:55 pm

Soon I hope -- in the meantime, there's always the other comp here
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby BFC » Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:16 pm

Well you are certainly ahead of my latest attempt at "Mas o Menos" :)

However, plenty of time still for me to re-think my approach. I got into the 1300's but can't tweak it any further.

I think squint is using the rockets some how after reading his post.. He's probably got some super cheap solution that he is sitting on!! :)

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby BioDroid » Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:06 pm

BioDroid

Previous

Return to General Contest Discussion / Classic contest archive