Contest Rules

General discussions pertaining to the Armadillo Run Forum Contests should go here. Also contains the classic contest threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Contest Rules

Postby kingofthespill » Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:19 am

I want to put out a idea and see what people think.

First I want to acknowledge the folks that don't like the "force", especially in contrast. I personally find those solutions amusing, but I see how it is not a level playing field if some use it and others don't. So here is the compromise :

Normal destruction is ok - like tensioned objects inside other objects that cause destruction (where no tension causes no destruction). Another way of looking at it is destruction that the next version will also allow (yes, it's going to be removed).

Putting objects through other objects that don't propel or explode anything is ok.

Putting objects through other objects thereby propelling or exploding something can be entered but will not be first prize but they can earn an honorable mention and a little "dark side" icon rank if it is cheaper than the best Street Legal version.

kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby PeterT » Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:18 am

I think these are good guidelines, we can do it like that.
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kingofthespill » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:18 pm

So I think people want to call solutions that involve welding as it's own category? It could be part of the force or not.

Example:

Putting objects through other objects that don't propel or explode anything is ok, but if it is used for support without attaching both ends to nodes it is considered welding (and gets the force prize?).

Comments?
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby BiG D » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:37 pm

Personally, I think the rules are fine. Placing objects through other objects is allowed by the game, and it doesn't seem to be an unintended bug like "the force." If it weren't intended to work, the editor wouldn't let you do it, much like when you try to place an object through the 'dillo.
BiG D

Postby stig » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:39 pm

one of my first atempts at the latest contest involved a rocket
carrying "dillo" in a cloth "bag" which was then released as it
flew up out of the screen, and I was wondering whether this
would be considered as "legal" or not.
What does everyone else think on this one ?
stig

Postby Bob » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:16 pm

kingofthespill wrote:Putting objects through other objects that don't propel or explode anything is ok, but if it is used for support without attaching both ends to nodes it is considered welding (and gets the force prize?).

Comments?

I agree with all rules, if they are clear and understandable. But this seems to be somewhat complicated.
I suggest making the rules as simple as possible.
Bob
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby BFC » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:22 pm

Having just the 'Dillo go out of bounds is ok in my book. Exploiting the fact that it stops interacting with our structures properly at this point seems to be a bit grey area to me.

One thing to avoid is getting too many rules in general as that will turn people off.

King's idea of "welding" as a sub category seems appropriate however. Clearly solid structures should not slide and pierce themselves as they do now. They aren't even really welded in that sense as they move around together.

The editor and game isn't perfect in this sense and I believe these are some of the things that are slated to be fixed/tweaked in future releases.

Overall though I think it's probably best for everyone to just leave the rules as they are currently and just be as cheap as possible. When/if the game get's updated to avoid these issues we can just roll with the newer version.

People are not happy being told "no". They are much happier with "not possible". Hopefully that makes sense :)

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby kingofthespill » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:27 pm

stig-
that seems fine and 100 percent "street legal" to me, as it is just based on how the boundaries effect objects' ability to carry him. I think it is up to the programmer to design it one way or another, and we are going with his design.
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Ogre » Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:55 am

I don't think we need "welding" as a rule. I was fine with PeterT and Bob's solutions for the current round. I even tried a few overlapping element solutions myself, just didn't come with anything as clever as theirs.

If the next version disallows placements like that then we'll have to follow it obviously, but until then the original rules at the top of this thread are fine with me. I thought the two winning solutions were brilliant, even with the "welding".

And on a related note about rules, Peter Stock, if you're reading this thread, I would really like to see indestructible pre-set elements as an option. Not as a solution element, but definitely as something the level editor can place.
Ogre
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby Jonny » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:49 am

I agree, too many rules will just complicate things unnecessarily. As unrealistic as this welding is, it's nowhere near as overpowered as the Force and we should just live with it (and use it) for as long as it remains in the game.
Jonny

Postby kingofthespill » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:44 pm

->As unrealistic as this welding is, it's nowhere near as overpowered as the Force and we should just live with it (and use it) for as long as it remains in the game.

Right, it's nothing like exploding something without purchasing tension or perpetual motion. Keeping the rules simple seems good to me, too.
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby squint » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:34 pm

I actually rather like being able to stick objects through each other - it is a difficult technique to use well, but lends itself to some elegant solutions. Significantly, the cost is not completely imbalanced for the effect, unlike the force...
squint

Postby Andrew » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:07 pm

Personally I always avoid it... the cool thing about AR is that it's at least vaguely realistic. I'm hoping that things like this aren't possible in future versions of the game.
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby PeterT » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:07 pm

I would say that for Contest #3, the rules as laid down in the first post should hold. (That means "welding" is in, and so is non-"force"d destruction and out-of-bounds usage)

Does anyone have strong objections?
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rubber vs The Force. :twisted:

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:49 pm

About rules: Less is bless. I also think the force has given more life to the game, and it is a alternative to rubber. It takes more constructionskills to use force than rubber. The nature of armadillo and all that is fun with it is to "think outside the box", do the unthinkable inside the frames that are given. Exatly what is it with the force that disturbes the ballance/fun of the game, that after my opinion - boring(sorry I have to say this) rubber does not? :roll
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Next

Return to General Contest Discussion / Classic contest archive