Design in the normal contests?

General discussions pertaining to the Armadillo Run Forum Contests should go here. Also contains the classic contest threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Design in the normal contests?

Postby Nishimaster » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:52 pm

You know in the normal A / B contests? Wouldn't it be cool if it wasn't the cheapest, but the coolest solution to each of the levels sometimes? Like, one winner for the coolest solution, one winner for the cheapest and one winner for the fastest. That would be interesting because it doesn't mean people look at the scores, say "shit, I could never reach that" and then go off and do something else, it would mean people would spend time trying to make interesting new solutions instead of just tweaking and tweaking and tweaking and more tweaking and more tweaking....
Arrive, arise to your new world as this one dies. Forever death will embrace everything.
Nishimaster
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Re: Design in the normal contests?

Postby dudiobugtron » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:34 pm

Nishimaster wrote:You know in the normal A / B contests? Wouldn't it be cool if it wasn't the cheapest, but the coolest solution to each of the levels sometimes? Like, one winner for the coolest solution, one winner for the cheapest and one winner for the fastest. That would be interesting because it doesn't mean people look at the scores, say "shit, I could never reach that" and then go off and do something else, it would mean people would spend time trying to make interesting new solutions instead of just tweaking and tweaking and tweaking and more tweaking and more tweaking....

That was one of the ideas for a design competition - they didn't take off because of the work involved, but perhaps your method would be better - the 'desgin contest host' posts a level, and the coolest solution wins!
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:38 am

That sounds cool enough to give it a try!
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby Nishimaster » Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm

Anyone want to post a level for people to have a go at? i'm working on my new spectator level atm and so can't be bothered making one, but if noone else makes one...
Arrive, arise to your new world as this one dies. Forever death will embrace everything.
Nishimaster
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Return to General Contest Discussion / Classic contest archive