how much tweaking can you cram

General discussions pertaining to the Armadillo Run Forum Contests should go here. Also contains the classic contest threads.

Moderator: Moderators

how much tweaking can you cram

Postby luka1222 » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:09 pm

i was thinkin as a little side thought, when we do these competitions it would be interesting to see just how long people have spent on there solutions. as obviously the more time you spend on it the more tweaking can be done. not sure how this would be accomplished , honesty i suppose at first , i think though if it were to be intergrated into the game it would have to be done well if say it were to count towards awards in competitions as i can see how it could be abused. i dont know maybe it has been brought up befor and i missed it.What are other peoples thoughts on this
of all the things ive lost i miss my mind the most.
luka1222
Light Master

Re: how much tweaking can you cram

Postby dudiobugtron » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:46 am

luka1222 wrote:i was thinkin as a little side thought, when we do these competitions it would be interesting to see just how long people have spent on there solutions. as obviously the more time you spend on it the more tweaking can be done. not sure how this would be accomplished , honesty i suppose at first , i think though if it were to be intergrated into the game it would have to be done well if say it were to count towards awards in competitions as i can see how it could be abused. i dont know maybe it has been brought up befor and i missed it.What are other peoples thoughts on this

A competition where everyone had the same amount of time would be awesome, but it's not really do-able in this multi-timezone, multi-commitment forum. It would rock at an AR Lan party though :D

I did a similar thing with my flatmate once - choose an AR level or level set, and see who can finish the levels first.
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

60 minutes contest!

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:48 am

:!: I think the best compromise is to have a litle 60 minutes contest! :!:
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby luka1222 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:38 pm

yeah and your best solution in that time is entered, cos lets face it most of these levels are completed in half an hour, then we just spend the rest of the week tweaking it to death
luka1222
Light Master

Postby dudiobugtron » Tue Oct 03, 2006 2:50 am

luka1222 wrote:yeah and your best solution in that time is entered, cos lets face it most of these levels are completed in half an hour, then we just spend the rest of the week tweaking it to death

I wish it was that easy for me!

For most competitions, I usually only come up with my best idea after 2-3hours atleast of experimenting with earlier failed ideas.
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:33 am

Hmm for me - sometimes the prinsiple that I finish the level with after a few minutes are tweaked some and becomes my best entry. But often there is many "a-ha!"'s on the way and I end up with 4 totally different types of solutions. Allways keep one totally opend mind and one to tweak with :wink: ! And of course - I never use more than 4 minutes on these contests and that while Im watching TV and playing sudoku simultaneously 8) 8) 8)
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby PeterT » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:34 am

Well luka, if you don't like spending more time tweaking than solving then try the current B contest. I can almost guarantee that you won't complete it in half an hour :P
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby luka1222 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:22 am

think you are right there
luka1222
Light Master

Postby luka1222 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:23 am

nice level man i really like it :D
luka1222
Light Master

Return to General Contest Discussion / Classic contest archive