AR Forumcontest #10 Results

General discussions pertaining to the Armadillo Run Forum Contests should go here. Also contains the classic contest threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby dudiobugtron » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:19 pm

kots your armadillo trapese is awesome!

I can't wait to review the solutions
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby jainus » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:45 am

kingofthespill, can i kill you and get all the credit afterwards? awesome solution on the dark side. Where dark forces collide, mysterious things happen.
jainus
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby Weasel497 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:06 am

kingofthespill wrote:I have just looked over these solutions and I am really impressed. The sheer number of inventive and unlikely solutions is astonishing :!: More than you can shake a stick at :wink: . Cloth force solutions!? Very interesting :o. BioDroid, dudiobugtron, Jain, and Weasel - you are turning the force into an art form :D.

Lol, thanks! I wasn't really going to compete too much, so I figured to have fun with it. And I'm fairly new to the "force" and enjoy this little bug, wether peeps think it should be removed or not. :wink:
Weasel497

Postby kingofthespill » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:06 am

jainus wrote:kingofthespill, can i kill you and get all the credit afterwards? awesome solution on the dark side. Where dark forces collide, mysterious things happen.

hehe you were very close... I do know what it's like to come in second place :roll: :roll: :roll: .
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby BFC » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:19 am

I do know what it's like to come in second place

Yes, King has gotten the proverbial shaft I think more than anyone. So very close many times. Thus why I felt it was a quite well deserved win :)

A double win at that!

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby BioDroid » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:41 am

BioDroid

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:02 am

I just watched those levels, so many nifty ideas!

I'm amazed so many people thought of dopping stuff on the swing too.

I am especially impressed that the highest score solution (kots' force one) uses the most out-of-the-way anchor point!!!

And I also see that I could have cut $6 off the cost of my solution by using this paddle technique:

So much to learn!
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby kingofthespill » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:33 am

Great picture :!: That's an excellent variation, and equivalent in cost to the one I used.

dudiobugtron wrote:I am especially impressed that the highest score solution (kots' force one) uses the most out-of-the-way anchor point!!!

I noticed that. Strange - I didn't see any other alternative.
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Ogre » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:49 am

I finally got to watch all these, and I am kicking myself for not thinking of swinging the catcher! Man... that was dumb :D

I am really happy my $2830 solution was unique too, I really did like that one, even if I did submit a cheaper one myself.

Also, I just want to point out (gloat) that while I didn't predict the winning score, I predicted BFC's score. From $2860 to $2864 I said... and what'd he get? $2862 :lol:
Ogre
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby jainus » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:19 am

btw, do you guys know what kots means in dutch? bet you don't hehe. (it's puke)

anyways, mastering tweaking is a tedious thing, but so rewarding when your cloth finally widens and your ball sticks, oh the satisfaction. :D Really enjoyed myself this time around. I hope i have enough time to solve the new A class match, is there going to be a B class from you king?
jainus
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby kingofthespill » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:11 am

Actually I did know that! Yuck lol.

The "B" has not started yet and probably will be kicked off by Peter or the next winner.
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby PeterT » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:34 pm

kingofthespill wrote:Great picture :!: That's an excellent variation, and equivalent in cost to the one I used.
My pride forces me to mention that I made that pic for the force explanation thread. (Not that YOU of all people need a force explanation :lol:)

The "B" has not started yet and probably will be kicked off by Peter or the next winner.
Yes, I plan to start the B contests on sunday. I already have an interesting level idea.
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BFC » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:32 pm

Ogre wrote:I finally got to watch all these, and I am kicking myself for not thinking of swinging the catcher! Man... that was dumb :D

I am really happy my $2830 solution was unique too, I really did like that one, even if I did submit a cheaper one myself.

Also, I just want to point out (gloat) that while I didn't predict the winning score, I predicted BFC's score. From $2860 to $2864 I said... and what'd he get? $2862 :lol:

You got me figured out pretty well then ;)

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby BioDroid » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:10 pm

I had never believed that the lowest archor would be used in any competitive solution, I was so very wrong :shock:
BioDroid

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:18 pm

PeterT wrote:
kingofthespill wrote:Great picture :!: That's an excellent variation, and equivalent in cost to the one I used.
My pride forces me to mention that I made that pic for the force explanation thread. (Not that YOU of all people need a force explanation :lol:)

Sorry Peter I should have credited you: I just figured everyone would recognise the picture!

There were two more solutions I wanted to say 'wow that is coo' too; first is Spew's (If I can call you that) Rocket UFO - the timed weight is an excellent idea which I will definitely absorb into my portfolio. Not to mention to tweaking involved!

The second one is that Solution by 'Skelly' I think, which uses a rocket to get the armadillo to the top with just one metal sheet, then the rocket leaves the armadillo without timer/etc - very nice already - but the awesome bit is where the armadillo breaks the 'trampoline' which catapults it over the catcher, but it gets pulled back in by the wayward trampoline again: if this was deliberate then you are my new hero!
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General Contest Discussion / Classic contest archive