Contest #9 results

General discussions pertaining to the Armadillo Run Forum Contests should go here. Also contains the classic contest threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Contest #9 results

Postby PeterT » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:06 pm

This time we had 24 solutions from 13 authors. Dudiobugtron was nice enough to provide screenshots of some solutions, which I'll show shortly. The approaches were more varied than I expected, though all the really competitive ones used a rotating arm with a moving weight.

Here are some of the less optimized but more interesting solutions:

Our resident alien Kingofthespill built this UFO - I don't want to know how much tweaking it took to get this to work.

Protestboy built this one. It's a really interesting variant in that it keeps balanced and does not break even with the powerful expansion of the rubber.

This bridge was built by Rob Garford. He solved the problem with this kind of approach (the weight of the moving ball) very nicely. Also check out his other bridges, including a slider!

Skrying is known for liking to use rockets, and if that doesn't solve the problem some more rockets certainly will!

And now, without further ado, the winning solution:
?rjan (hmpf, I always have to copy and paste ;)) already showed promising results in the last contest, but this time he has truly outdone himself. This solution, "The dying Pelican", leaves $5730 and wins the contest. However, he didn't stop here but also solved the level in 4 other ways, including the awesome "Bat".

Here is the zip containing all the solutions, have a look!

Thanks to dudiobugtron for the level and hosting the contest - and the .end file! Also thanks to all those who participated. See you again soon.
Last edited by PeterT on Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kingofthespill » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:10 pm

Congratulations ?rjan!

And my UFO was fairly easy, probably under 15 minutes to do.
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Re: Contest #9 results

Postby dudiobugtron » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:14 pm

PeterT wrote:Image
Protestboy built this one. It's a really interesting variant in that it keeps balanced and does not break even with the powerful expansion of the rubber.

This was probably my favourite Solution - attaching the rubber to the main mechanism is fraught with danger as Peter points out, but also very beneficial if you can make it work - not only does the mechanism act as the 'brace' to give the rubber more lift (removing the need for an expensive free-floating base as used above - or a piece of rope as used by Sparrow!) but is also means you get to use the rubber as a counter-weight again saving you even more $ on metal bars.
Very nice first entry from protest boy.
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby BFC » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:23 pm

Nice solutions everyone ;)

Congratulations to OJ!

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby kingofthespill » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:48 pm

I noticed that all the $2700+ solutions all start largely above the single anchor point. I'm curious if that was difficult, as when I tried that approach the structure was constantly breaking after rotating half way. :?
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:59 pm

Mohoho :lol: I really enjoyed all those solutions. From the UFO to the organic motions of the Protestboys rubberpunch/catchingarm and the rest of the crazy stuff!
I was hanging around 5500+ for a long time and allmost gave up at 5600+, but late at night to sunday I was lucky, or perhaps so tired that I was able to belive that this could work.
Nice work everyone!!! Hmmm, now I have to administrate #10

Actually I have #10 ready. But I am not sure if its a cool enough map. Well they can't all be as cool as the rest anyway :wink: But there is a .end file at least 8) Perhaps you can tell me if the lvl sucks enough, then I just make another one :!: Yup! Of course: Its not impossible that the map rocks your socks of. 8)
Last edited by ?rjan Flatseth on Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:11 am

kingofthespill wrote:I noticed that all the $2700+ solutions all start largely above the single anchor point. I'm curious if that was difficult, as when I tried that approach the structure was constantly breaking after rotating half way. :?

The tale you use in "noonchuck" is similar to mine. With that I was able to control the last whip of the tail. It was also very surprising how small shanges in angles and proportions help (maybe) more than additional suporting material. I also think that perhaps metalbars under stetch-stress lasted longer when the tale was resting over them in the first important seconds. Just a bit though. A good thing about placing the sonstruction above the anchor is that you then have a lot of potential energy as it will "fall" down. I guess that was not exactly the answer you were looking for but, ehr... I had to say something interesting since I am the winner this time :wink:
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby Malco » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:45 am

Some Inspired soloutions there I cant believe there were so many ways to complete the same problem. All Ive got to do next time is remember to post my soloution and think a bit more out of the box. Well done ?rjan I look forward to the next challenge.
Malco

Postby BFC » Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:50 am

King,

The trick was to make the left side of the structure (viewed from before you press start) have less mass than the right but, at the same time not have too much more on the right side. Having too much on the right results in an acceleration that is high enough to over stretch the one bar in the middle. The shifting weight everyone used can't be too much or it puts too much jerk into the structure.

Just as a reference for anyone not familiar with jerk: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerk

I was also reasonably sure the top few solutions would be very close and similar in design as you are ultimately limited by material strengths on this one. There was only one real way to skin this cat so to speak. Orjan found the most effecient this go :)

Looking forward to a non void type possibly for the next round!

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

#X

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:17 am

I have made a .rar file taht is 264kb, hope thats not annoyingly big for anyone (?) There is a litle silly secret in the play-level. Perhaps somebody notice. Well. It is kind of a hybrid between void oand not void, I think it perhaps depend on the solution. It is not hard to finnish if you dont mind money spent. Maybe wednesday is enough time? Or am I messing it all up?
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby BioDroid » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:11 am

Congratulations ?rjan! Norway for the win!

Seems like I sent my solution too late :cry:

well well, it was shitty anyway... (5428)
BioDroid

Postby dudiobugtron » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:06 am

BioDroid wrote:Seems like I sent my solution too late :cry:

well well, it was shirty anyway... (5428)

I still haven't received your email Biodroid - hopefully i didn't delete it accidentally!
Last edited by dudiobugtron on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby BioDroid » Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:10 am

np, It wasnt winning anyway 8)
BioDroid

Postby kingofthespill » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:32 am

Thanks for the explanation BFC and ?rjan. I guess I just learned something new about physics! :)

I must congratulate everyone who hit 2700 :armadillo: . It is difficult to see what had to go into it to get that to work. I have been playing around with a similar $2700 + design and it is very easy to break. If it doesn't break, it is short of the mass required to get it all the way to the exit.
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Toa the Boa » Mon Aug 07, 2006 6:53 am

?rjan Flatseth wrote:A good thing about placing the sonstruction above the anchor is that you then have a lot of potential energy as it will "fall" down.

I knew I was talking too much at that party about how I got above 5700... ;)
Esselukt is the way
6L
Toa the Boa
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Next

Return to General Contest Discussion / Classic contest archive