AR contest #8 Results

General discussions pertaining to the Armadillo Run Forum Contests should go here. Also contains the classic contest threads.

Moderator: Moderators

AR contest #8 Results

Postby BFC » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:03 pm

Hello again!

Well this time around we had a much different level design to work on. Some folks disliked it, some liked it very much. The number of results are lower this time around due to this.

However, the results we did get are quite entertaining and 1 or 2 will likely surprise you :)

The winner this time:

This was submitted by dudiobugtron and it's similar to other rocket solutions but more efficient. An excellent solution and we'll be at his mercy for the next contest level design :)

So, congratulations to dudiobugtron!!

The dark force winner for this level was again Orjan! He's turning out to be our local force master it seems :)

There were a number of solutions that didn't use rockets and also some solutions that didn't go through ANY chutes. Over all the diversity in solutions was quite good and hopefully you enjoy reviewing them.

Some changes will likely take place for future contests to help accommodate different tastes in level design. A post on that to follow after Peter returns.

Here are all the solutions I got: AR8 solutions

Well done everyone who sent in submissions!

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:44 pm

Haha! Amazing solutions! I must see those over and over again.. It must take a criminal mind to come up with some of theese ideas...
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:41 pm

Congratulations dudiobugtron! Welcome to the club.
Nice solutions everyone, I was amazed at boons "stolen" Dillos. :o

Oh.. and Congrats Orjan for winning the dark medal
Bob
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby BFC » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:52 pm

Yes, Boon's theft of the 'Dillos was quite ingenious :)

I enjoyed all of the solutions to this contest very much.

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Re: AR contest #8 Results

Postby dudiobugtron » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:41 am

This was submitted by dudiobugtron and it's similar to other rocket solutions but more efficient. An excellent solution and we'll be at his mercy for the next contest level design :)

Woohoo! Go me :twisted: Can't wait to get home and see the solutions.

Some changes will likely take place for future contests to help accommodate different tastes in level design. A post on that to follow after Peter returns.

Hold on, does this mean I should wait to see these before sending in the new level? I've got a bunch of ideas but I don't want to finish off a level and then have it barred :lol:
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby boon » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:40 am

wow wut amazing solutions! thanx BFC and Bob for the comliments. everyone's solutions were very fun 2 watch! can't wait 4 the next contest! :armadillo: :mrgreen:
boon

Postby Running-Armadillo » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:02 am

I cant open the levels!! Grrr! When I try to open it in armadillo run, It says "Error loading level". Before you used to be able to open a zipped file and then move the levels to the levels folder, but now I dont know what to do, can someone put it in a zipped file with all of the solutions please?
The Thirteen Year-Old Genius.
Running-Armadillo

Postby kingofthespill » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:33 am

Yes, I would like a zip also.

Congratulations dudiobugtron and Orjan.
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby BFC » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:40 am

I am unable to make a .zip file at the moment because my space where I host the file is unreachable currently for me to log into.

A solution for the mean time however is to use winrar.

winrar is hugely superior to winzip and handles both zip and rar and a lot of other compressed file formats.

Here's a direct download to the free version: http://www.rarlab.com/rar/wrar36b8.exe

Here's their web site so you can read about the software. It's not new software.

http://www.rarlab.com/

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby dudiobugtron » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:45 am

I'm having problems opening the rar file aswell - I can only see one solution!

Zip seems like the safer option.
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby kingofthespill » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:06 am

kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Skrying » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:26 am

RAR files are great, and I highly suggest that those of you not using WinRAR grab it. They actually just had a event where the software was free for a day, traffic and demand was so high that they had to cut it short in order for their servers to not crack under the stress.

Another great compressed file opener that's great is 7zip. Its probably the most efficent, but it actually is fairly rare to see such files. The actual program handles many of the popular compressed formats though.

To the solutions: All were very interesting and impressive. I'm glad to see people buckled down and found out that it actually was possible to make a wide variety of solutions and come out with very good money amounts.

I was surpised BFC included my beta level lol. While testing it I came up with the idea of lifting the cloth barrier, its not breaking it so it was perfectly legal. Its very expensive though. I later came up with a forced based solution that saved around $1300 but its still far to expensive to actually have had any purpose.
Chemical Hardware - Hardware... with chemicals!
Skrying

Postby dudiobugtron » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:19 am

Yes your cloth barrier removal tool was much cleaner than mine!

I reckon Ogre's rocket solution is cooler than mine too, often the cheaper solutions take less 'brains' - I don't think I could have made ogre's solution work!!!! (getting all the armadillos in one basket without it breaking is hard enough, let alone getting it to work with that rocket-holding device!)

Also, just a small note, the dark force prize shouldn't really be won unless the overall score is higher than the 'light' solution; according to the competition rules.
Of course it shouldn't be taken away once awarded - just a note for future competitions!
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

It is so it is, yes

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:54 pm

Thats true :shock: . It is the rule and so it is written i the holy posts :( . But I haven't got no medal for it, just words of honour and glory. - so no harm done :cry:
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby Toa the Boa » Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:05 pm

Phew! :lol:
Toa the Boa
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Next

Return to General Contest Discussion / Classic contest archive