AR contest #8 Results

General discussions pertaining to the Armadillo Run Forum Contests should go here. Also contains the classic contest threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Ogre » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:02 pm

dudiobugtron wrote:I reckon Ogre's rocket solution is cooler than mine too, often the cheaper solutions take less 'brains' - I don't think I could have made ogre's solution work!!!! (getting all the armadillos in one basket without it breaking is hard enough, let alone getting it to work with that rocket-holding device!)

Well, see, my first working solution carried two armadillos in a carrier somewhat like yours, and a third with its own rocket. It was fast and easy to make work, but with two rockets it obviously wasn't going to win. When I tried to add the third armadillo to the first rocket, I discovered the apparatus was too heavy and that a single rocket couldn't lift all three plus the materials. I didn't try optimizing it to get the weight down like you did, I just figured I needed to carry them all in one structure to get enough lift. So I built a single basket, and then got it working with several timers, including one to release it over chute 6. Eventually got it down to one timer to release the rocket, and released the cargo over chute 6 by way of the carrier going out of bounds over it. Then decided to have a go at no timers, which got me to the result you see.

It actually would have been a pretty simple solution to work with, I think, if not for the cloth spasms of doom in the carrier due to having all three dillos there. The middle bumper, where the carrier bumps, is really hard to work with. Try removing the left rope or the bottom metal bar to see what I mean. There are much cheaper structures there that really should work, but this one was the least prone to carrier freakouts.
Ogre
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby BFC » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:55 pm

Also, just a small note, the dark force prize shouldn't really be won unless the overall score is higher than the 'light' solution; according to the competition rules.
Of course it shouldn't be taken away once awarded - just a note for future competitions!

I totally forgot that the force solution has to be higher than the normal solution. My apologies for that.

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

numbanainen

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:48 pm

Is there any news about contest #9 ?
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby Toa the Boa » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:50 pm

Yes, we want to know. There should always be a contest going on.
Esselukt is the way
6L
Toa the Boa
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby BioDroid » Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:57 pm

nice too c u in here Toa the Boa, I see you have been active in the WR competition :P
BioDroid

Postby BFC » Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:11 pm

#9 will likely start Wednesday as Peter returns on 8/2/06. We have a few things to run by him before the next contest starts.

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Toa the Boa » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:47 am

BioDroid wrote:nice too c u in here Toa the Boa, I see you have been active in the WR competition :P

Yep. A combination of vacation and bad weather can make som nice records.
Esselukt is the way
6L
Toa the Boa
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Ulp?

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:40 pm

Is it wednesday, yet?
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby Toa the Boa » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:02 pm

I think so.
Esselukt is the way
6L
Toa the Boa
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Toa the Boa » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:40 am

BFC wrote:
Also, just a small note, the dark force prize shouldn't really be won unless the overall score is higher than the 'light' solution; according to the competition rules.
Of course it shouldn't be taken away once awarded - just a note for future competitions!

I totally forgot that the force solution has to be higher than the normal solution. My apologies for that.

-BFC

And still he got a medal? I dont want him to get more medals than me! Boooohoo! Not fair!
Esselukt is the way
6L
Toa the Boa
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby PeterT » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:40 pm

Toa the Boa wrote:And still he got a medal? I dont want him to get more medals than me! Boooohoo! Not fair!
He didn't. He got it for contest #7. As far as I can see that's correct, but tell me if I'm wrong.
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Toa the Boa » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:14 pm

PeterT wrote:
Toa the Boa wrote:And still he got a medal? I dont want him to get more medals than me! Boooohoo! Not fair!
He didn't. He got it for contest #7. As far as I can see that's correct, but tell me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong.... :) He got a 3rd place in that one, and has only competed in #7 and #8.

He is a friend of mine, I made him buy the game, and I dont want him to get free medals. 8)
Esselukt is the way
6L
Toa the Boa
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby PeterT » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:55 pm

I AM wrong! I meant to give that medal to Jainus! Sorry ?rjan, you'll be demoted again, and sorry Jainus for the delay!

Thanks for telling me Toa.
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Muahahahaw!

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:17 am

This world is not worthy of my unholy powers! ... and for Toa: I dont have a friend!!!! Mohohawhaa!!! :twisted:
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Previous

Return to General Contest Discussion / Classic contest archive