Contest #7 results

General discussions pertaining to the Armadillo Run Forum Contests should go here. Also contains the classic contest threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Contest #7 results

Postby Ogre » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:06 pm

There were 32 entries from 15 different players this week (or 16, but Tim McSweeney's entry never made it through to me.) There was one popular theme with the high scoring entries, but still some variety there, and a good number of interesting entries otherwise. We also have both a light side and a dark side winner this week.

Go here to download all of this week's entries. As always, they are worth your time.

First up is dudiobugtron's unique force-based winch:

Several people managed to come up with flat catchers where the Armadillo rolls slowly enough to get captured anyway. This is Kingofthespill's variant, the cheapest of the bunch, and the second place overall light side entry at $2744:

RyanM and Bob were the only two to build large rotating cranes. Here's Ryan's (because Bob sent his relatively late and I've been putting these together in a rush):

RyanM also built the most expensive entry, at over $21000 below 0! It is also the only entry that opted to go neither left nor right. Hint: that's not six tensioned rubber segments, it's several dozen.

?rjan Flatseth sent in an artistic entry featuring his own initials

Skring sent in perhaps the most elaborate entry

Then we have the light side winner, who will come as no surprise to long time players. BFC wins with this $2782 variant of the popular metal bar lifter first seen a few weeks ago in one of PeterT's solutions to BFC's levels.

Way to go, BFC!

Lastly, The high end of the dark side entries were similar and highly competitive, Bob managed $2850, PeterT hit $2848, and ?rjan sent in a not-so-similar $2840 entry, but the winner was Jain at $2852!

Please note that we can't give out medals while PeterT is off on vacation. But as soon as he's back he will hook up BFC and Jain with their medals. Congratulations!

Thanks to everyone for competing this week. BFC will be up next week with whatever diabolical contraption he's been waiting to spring on us. I view this with a mixture of anticipation and dread.
Last edited by Ogre on Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ogre
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby Skrying » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:19 pm

Way to go BFC!!!!!!

Very interesting solutions everyone. I'm glad to see someone could get the push through done on this level, I tried but only came close to getting the 'dillo about halfway through the rubber.
Chemical Hardware - Hardware... with chemicals!
Skrying

Postby BFC » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:34 pm

Phew, man I have to say I worked pretty hard on my solution :)

I have a 2804 version (without force) but it's 1 pixel away from working.

I was dead set to beat the force solutions but alas, could not pull that off.

I learned a new method thanks to some of the solutions and I will put it to use in the future hopefully! Over all some extremely well done stuff (as always) and lots of good ideas everywhere.

The catcher was an especially tough part to get just right and I came up with multiple versions for that as well.

Anyway, I had an idea for a new kind of contest level and Skyring has helped me test out. We think you guys are going to like the next one :)

Lets just say that building the cheapest solution may or may not lead to a "winning" score :twisted:

Again, good solutions by all here!! I think my favorite (if I had to pick just one as they are all very good) would be FT's solution. I really liked it for some reason :)

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby kingofthespill » Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:48 pm

Welcome to dark side, Jain :twisted: :!: :lol:

Congratulations again BFC 8) . I also found that the climb up around the right side of the rubber worked better when something was slowing it down (near the bottom). Odd. I expect this next contest to be intriguing :) .
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

!

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:00 pm

Congratulations to the light and the dark lords of the week!
Interesting stuff all along from everybody.
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby BioDroid » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:07 pm

I really like PeterT's forcebased sling in his "Vader" solution.
BioDroid

Postby jainus » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:35 pm

hahaha, oh damn i'm exited, must admit i did get some inspiration out of peter's old one, where he get's it through a maze , but hey, winning is winning :twisted: nice solutions you all, next one will, (maybe) be a light one
jainus
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby Skrying » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:16 pm

I can say that the next contest level will easily be the most interesting on yet. In fact, I'm not even sure how BFC made it. He got in contact with me about some beta testing for it and I was happy to help, so I'm sitting this one out, but I'm REALLY looking forward to the results.
Chemical Hardware - Hardware... with chemicals!
Skrying

Postby kingofthespill » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:32 pm

I am going through these and this looks like the most creative contest so far :D . There was innovation and artistry on both light and dark solutions. ?rjan and Biodroid combined a timer with the force, which is something I never saw before. The rotating metal rod pulley wheel that ?rjan, Pink Panther, and Toa used seems fairly recent in invention as well. Ryan proved that the armoredillo can go up :!: :?: through solid rubber and combined the traditional cloth pulley and roller coaster, and Skrying's massive timer counterweight combination essentially was a anchor point substitute. And dudiobugtron's winch... that is really neat:!: Excellent work everyone.
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby BioDroid » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:10 pm

Btw, how do you put multiple pieces over eachother? They automaticly vanish for me if i try to overlap materials.
BioDroid

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:53 pm

If you make the second piece alone and then drag it over the first. Guess thats what you were looking for?
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:55 pm

well. Lets get started on next one. Where is that #8-lvl ? :twisted:
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby Ogre » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:02 am

We usually start them on Wednesday, but BFC's talking about starting this one early and running it longer. I'm scared.
Ogre
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby BioDroid » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:55 am

?rjan Flatseth wrote:If you make the second piece alone and then drag it over the first. Guess thats what you were looking for?

Thank you, Ive played this game "pro" for weeks and dint know this feature. :oops:
BioDroid

Postby BFC » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:04 am

Yes I am probably going to post it later today/tonight. I just want to give king a little time to reply to my email I sent before releasing it.

So as long as King doesn't have any objections everyone should have a new level to work on for an entire week.

You'll likely want/need all of that week too :twisted:

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Next

Return to General Contest Discussion / Classic contest archive