Contest #6 results

General discussions pertaining to the Armadillo Run Forum Contests should go here. Also contains the classic contest threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Contest #6 results

Postby PeterT » Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:58 pm

Contest #6 was the most popular one in the history of AR Forum Contests so far, topping even the previous fan-favourite, Contest 3.
16 participants sent in 34 unique solutions, ranging from the bizarre to the ingenious. I know I say this every time, but you really have to take a look at these creations.

Here is the zip file!

I made a very small selection of screenshots and descriptions to whet your appetite:

Skrying built an over-budget "solution" that both accelerates the ball faster than I've ever seen before and shoots it into the stratosphere (My first impression when I pressed Start was "Where's the Armadillo?"):

Casius, who already gained many fans with his constructions last time, made a great variety of awesome sliders - one could think this was a spectator level!

Jain, one of the many newcomers that submitted a solution to this one, managed to do what I previously called "impossible" in private communication: he moved the armadillo around outside of the level and made it to the third place with this method:

And the winning solution comes frooooooom .... Ogre!
He fully optimized the right-entry method (the second place solution from me used middle entry) and reached $1826, putting him $24 in front of the next competitor, and managing a distance to the high end of the field of about $70!
And here it is:

Personally, I'm very happy that Ogre won this one, not just because it means I didn't (;)) but mainly because he was close the front of the field in many of the previous contests.
There was no solution using the force this time around, so no one will recieve Lord Vader's blessing.

Thanks for this level - which proved to attract lots of attention and unique solutions - go to BFC, and thanks for making the contest a success to all participants. Congratulations to Ogre!
Last edited by PeterT on Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ogre » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:30 pm

I just watched them all, they are very entertaining this time! I'm glad I won too, looking forward to just judging entries this week :)

I believe my solution can be tweaked to $1830, the cloth on the bouncer can be made one segment shorter. However, in every variation I tried at $1830 where the bouncer didn't break, it wound up being too powerful. It's also not easy to make one that actually holds together at $1830, but it is possible. It just winds up overshooting the cheap catcher I have. You could make a more expensive catcher easily enough, but then it's obviously more expensive again. The $1826 one really wasn't that hard compared to a lot of the more expensive things I built.

For next week, I have a level I might use. It's kind of small, but not trivial. What do you all think, short and sweet, or more involved? I'll send something to Peter next Wednesday "evening" (morning for me) either way.

Thanks for a fun level, BFC!
Ogre
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby Running-Armadillo » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:31 pm

Wow Casius, youve really outdone oureself, also Jain, that is a very nice way to get the armadillo around the level, I actually tried that, but failed instantly, and also Jain, how long did that take you?
Running-Armadillo

Postby Skrying » Sun Jul 16, 2006 8:48 pm

It was really an interesting level. The super duper rubber cannon of all mighty power(TM0 really made it fun in using its power to help your solution.

Of course I took it and just went made. I have a variation of the "fast" level that goes by in around 2 seconds I believe. Also, "towlie" took a good while in tweaking to get the 'dillo to come through the last opening just right. I didnt discover that jump it could make till later, which is a nice little ending.
Chemical Hardware - Hardware... with chemicals!
Skrying

Postby razje » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:09 pm

it was a very nice map and i've seen some very cool solutions
at many solutions i thought why didn't i thought of that

btw orge i'm really looking forward to your level
razje

Postby jainus » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:09 pm

Running Armadillo : Well, not that long, took me an hour or two, the deflector was a bit of luck, and the forcer actually keeps the armadillo inside the level because it maintains the force at such a level it constantly keeps the armadillo in contact with the cloth on the anchorpoint. i tried to make it even cheaper but did not have the time, finished mine on friday, i wanted to make a variation on the deflector at the top. Going for gold next time ;)

And bfc, as for the atmosphere of the next level, rather a nifty small one that leaves open a lot of room for smart solution, than an elaborate construction.

and where's my medal :(?
jainus
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby PeterT » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:14 pm

jainus wrote:And bfc, as for the atmosphere of the next level, rather a nifty small one that leaves open a lot of room for smart solution, than an elaborate construction.
You probably meant Ogre, not BFC, and I agree!
jainus wrote:and where's my medal :(?
Sorry, just gold medals awarded here, no others. But at least you still have the chance to earn one - I already did, but cannot award it to myself ;)
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Running-Armadillo » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:46 pm

jainus wrote:Running Armadillo : Well, not that long, took me an hour or two

Ahhh! Sorry, but I just do NOT have the patients for that :D but im glad you do! also, is there any way that we can know when only gold, or gold ans silver medals are awarded in compotions Peter?

This forum entertains me when im bored.
Running-Armadillo

Postby BFC » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:49 pm

Ogre your solution can be tweaked to 1842 ;) Use the 2 plate reverser and you save a bar and length of rope from the cost. It can probably go to 1846 or so if you really teak the bouncer.

Extremely well done!

All of the other entries are also very very good. I'm glad you guys liked it enough to put in the time on it :)

I have 2 other levels prepared for future competitions that I feel are compltely unique and never been seen/done before. Hopefully I get a chance to release them for you guys to devour.

This week we are at the mercy of Ogre and I can't wait to see what he has cooked up for us. A shame we have to wait until wednesday/thursday to get started on the next level.

Again, well done all!

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby PeterT » Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:49 pm

Running-Armadillo wrote:Ahhh! Sorry, but I just do NOT have the patients for that :D but im glad you do! also, is there any way that we can know when only gold, or gold ans silver medals are awarded in compotions Peter?
There never were silver medals. I think you mean the "dark force" medals. Those are awarded in case someone manages to make a solution using the Force that is cheaper than the cheapest legal solution. This was only the case in contest 3 so far.

[Btw, I'm now gone for about 24 hours, if any extremely urgent stuff related to the forum comes up then send a PM to BFC ;)]
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ogre » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:01 pm

BFC wrote:Ogre your solution can be tweaked to 1842 ;) Use the 2 plate reverser and you save a bar and length of rope from the cost. It can probably go to 1846 or so if you really teak the bouncer.

I checked when I saw that one, and I'm not sure the 2 plate reverser works for mine, actually. The problem with it is it takes much longer for the Armadillo to get down there, and mine relies on getting it to the bouncer while it's on the swing back to the left. It won't swing high enough a second time, nor I think on the 1 and a halfth time if it starts swinging from the right instead of the left either.

On the other hand, I had an $1806 solution that doesn't have any particular timing and so would work with the two plate reverser, which would have pushed it to $1822.
Ogre
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby BFC » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:14 pm

Ah yes, timming. Pesky little detail :)

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Ogre » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:21 pm

I think it might be possible to do the two plate reverser and hang an extra bar off the right side of the bouncer so it balances farther to the left, or just gets an extra swing at the right moment, cutting a $6 rope out of mine for $1832 or $1836. But I'm not going to try :)
Ogre
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby dudiobugtron » Sun Jul 16, 2006 11:12 pm

Jain you are my hero!

I was trying to do that for ages, tried everything except for that rope holding the metal plate in!! I'm not sure it is the 'force' as you say, I think it's just that the armadillo never fully leaves the arena cos it's getting pushed up against the cloth.

Also to everyone (incld ogre) who made that squeezing device at the bottom to give the armadillo extra jump height, so clever!

My personal favourite though is king of the spills solution:
$1500 left? Screw This! I'm using a rocket!
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby kingofthespill » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:15 am

hehe...

Creative solutions everyone :D .
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Next

Return to General Contest Discussion / Classic contest archive