ARFC T I Qualifier (Ends Oct 4, 2007 @ 18:00 GMT)

General discussions pertaining to the Armadillo Run Forum Contests should go here. Also contains the classic contest threads.

Moderator: Moderators

ARFC T I Qualifier (Ends Oct 4, 2007 @ 18:00 GMT)

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:47 pm

Send submissions to: JustcallmeDrago@yahoo.com

Naming Convention: [DollarsRemaining]-[ForumName]-[SolutionName]

Normal Contest Rules Apply

Each group is getting an A-League type level that only other people in their group have. The people inside a group will compete against each other. For example Ms_Ikerous will be trying to beat TomHD and Overlord. The person who completes the level the cheapest light will move on to the Light finals and the person who completes the level the cheapest dark will move on to the Dark finals (that is, there will be a dark winner even if light beats dark)

Here are the groups:

1:
Ms_Ikerous
TomHD
Overlord

2:
McGinge
TSchultz
FF

3:
NickyNick
scimaster
Ikerous

Levels are Officially all PM'd. Post if you have problems or didn't get a level if you are in the contest.
Last edited by JustcallmeDrago on Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby McGinge » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:12 pm

Shouldnt yiou putting all the kickass players in one group?
In an ideal world, where anything and everything is in perfect form, is there a perfect form of imperfection?

Work THAT one out! :)
McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:19 pm

McGinge wrote:Shouldnt yiou putting all the kickass players in one group?

I said it would be in a random order. Randomizing gets things done much quicker than

"Well maybe the groups should..."

"No, I think they should..."

"But what if the groups are uneven?..."

We can do that for the next tournament, but I wanted to get the ball rolling.
Besides, if you win the qualifier, you'll be competing against people who had to kick some ass to get to finals.
Have fun anyways :D
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby McGinge » Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:42 pm

Isnt it a bit unfair that someone like Scimaster (no offence man! :D) is in a group with players like Ike and Nick... You can pretty much see the clear winners in each group...
In an ideal world, where anything and everything is in perfect form, is there a perfect form of imperfection?

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby FF » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:24 pm

Are we able to post results, Drago?
//btw cool level for our group :)
FF
Light Master

Postby McGinge » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:59 pm

It is cool but a bit harder than "A level"... Hard to get light methinks...

*cue FF posting a ridiculous light score*

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby TomHD » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:03 pm

yay for multiple answer levels

Also:
Isnt it a bit unfair that someone like Scimaster (no offence man! Very Happy) is in a group with players like Ike and Nick... You can pretty much see the clear winners in each group...
No, since if the groups are balanced the finals would be horribly off balanced, no matter what way you put it, the best player will win
TomHD

Postby McGinge » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:44 pm

Why dont you just have it in balanced pairs; maybe sort the players out into "good" and "average" player groups; otherwise someone like CN who is a contest veteran but very good will end up with the newbs... Then face them off in 2 different tournaments; newb champion and experienced player champion.

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:33 pm

TomHD wrote:yay for multiple answer levels

Whoa, I just got what you said! Thanks, and that's what I was trying to do, give the player a bunch of ways to win.

McGinge wrote:Why dont you just have it in balanced pairs; maybe sort the players out into "good" and "average" player groups; otherwise someone like CN who is a contest veteran but very good will end up with the newbs... Then face them off in 2 different tournaments; newb champion and experienced player champion.

Well, go find 18 willing contestants, then I'll think about it. Otherwise I really don't think it would work because there aren't that many people that play consistently.

FF wrote:Are we able to post results, Drago?
//btw cool level for our group :)

I don't know if that should be allowed. Posting scores (I hope you mean scores) could discourage someone from doing their best (giving up saying "aagh impossible score, I'm done") and possibly killing off 1/2 or all of your competition.

Another thing is even though saying the score you have (or bluffing) doesn't look like a lot of information, it usually is enough to make someone think "alright, now I see how he could've done that" and have a level end up with a $2 fight.

I leaning towards no, but I'd like to hear what others think.

EDIT: I just read what you said.

McGinge wrote:It is cool but a bit harder than "A level"... Hard to get light methinks...

*cue FF posting a ridiculous light score*

The Contest Hosting Guidelines wrote:- Levels should be solveable (not cheaply, just solvable!) in no more than 1.5 hours by an average player that has finished the main game and extra levels.

"not cheaply, just solvable"

Also: Contestants, send in many solutions!! Even though sending in more expensive solutions won't help you win, they'd be very entertaining! And I mean send in your attempts at using other routes than the one you found cheapest. Don't just send in 5 iterations of the path you chose.
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby McGinge » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:14 pm

Yeah its SOLVABLE in about 30 seconds; rockets rockets and more rockets... I have an orgasmic light its just those bloody lids are too damn tight... :evil: :evil:

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:23 pm

McGinge wrote:Yeah its SOLVABLE in about 30 seconds; rockets rockets and more rockets... I have an orgasmic light its just those bloody lids are too damn tight... :evil: :evil:

Lol that's the point. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

To figure it out!
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby TSchultz » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:23 pm

I found a really cheap way to get em off :D
TSchultz
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby scimaster » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:34 pm

For my group's level, I've accutally managed to finish with some money left!
Code: Select all
ww@localhost:echo $name

"\  /\  /  /\   |--  |--  |=   |\  |"
" \/  \/  /- \  |    |    |--  |  \|"

Done

ww@localhost:

http://www.freewebs.com/scimaster
scimaster

Postby FF » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:54 pm

7th october????
Not too long for A type level????
FF
Light Master

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:14 pm

:/ That is a long time... I just don't have lots of time in the week so I didn't think about it.

I'll change it to the 4th and have the finals start that day too and then the finals end on the 7th. How's that sound?
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Next

Return to General Contest Discussion / Classic contest archive