AR tweaking program

General discussions pertaining to the Armadillo Run Forum Contests should go here. Also contains the classic contest threads.

Moderator: Moderators

AR tweaking program

Postby NickyNick » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:48 pm

Well, I'm glad to introduce here my poor AR tweaking program. I want to thank Tim McSweeney a lot for his great level format discovery work! I've translated his Python scripts to C++ and made tiny ARParser library. The only improvement that I've made is ability to work with level solutions. I had no wish and time to think about solution checksum calculation rules in general, but I've figured out that second solution checksum depends on coordinates of user-placed nodes. This way, we can alter coordinates of these nodes and calculate checksum correctly.
This program can be used for micro-tweaking of existing user-placed nodes. Check the readme.txt file for the controls (if something isn't clear - ask please! :wink: ). Note that program will not allow you to move a node, if cost of some elements will modify (to prevent cheating with budget). It also will deny creating extra-long metals, extra-short ropes etc.
I also want to note that sometimes '1e-6' moving step does a glitch and node doesn't move at all. It is better to use 'min' moving step instead of it.
If you want to compile the project, you will need DirectX 9.0 SDK installed.
You can find some solutions in \levels folder, that were tweaked with this program. I've put them for example ;)
Enjoy the tweaking! My regards :)

edit: Fixed some problems with lagging, coordinates, multiple nodes moving and other trivias. Make sure that you've downloaded new version :wink:
edit 2: Fixed problem with 'min' mode. Also added "undo-redo" feature (hotkeys: Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y)

Download v0.70 .zip file here: http://www.mediafire.com/?61b9fejs3k4
Last edited by NickyNick on Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AR & W:A forever
NickyNick
Champion of Light
Champion of Light

Postby Overlord » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:49 pm

WOW!

Is source available?

Ooops, sorry, didn't notice the src folder in the archive.
All ARFC A contests and solutions 1st-255th: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2245
A tool to copy .lvl2 files to \Levels dir when opened: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2374
Overlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby McGinge » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:33 pm

Wow nick this is great, my zoom function isnt working though... Still; fantastic piece of software!! And what does the 1e - 1 etc. mean, or have i not read something
In an ideal world, where anything and everything is in perfect form, is there a perfect form of imperfection?

Work THAT one out! :)
McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Ikerous » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:41 pm

McGinge wrote:Wow nick this is great?? Still; fantastic piece of software!! And what does the 1e - 1 etc. mean, or have i not read something

1x10^-1

Edit: wow, that runs way better than it did the last time i used it. Awesome work
Last edited by Ikerous on Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ikerous
Light Master

Postby McGinge » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:45 pm

Yeah but what does that mean and apply to?
In an ideal world, where anything and everything is in perfect form, is there a perfect form of imperfection?

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Unw » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:56 pm

it is the value that is added to or subtracted from the x or y coordinate of selected node
Unw
Light Master

Postby McGinge » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:01 pm

o ok so the larger it is the more the node moves?? thnx for the retards version unw!! :lol:

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby NickyNick » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:04 pm

Thanks a lot for kind words :) But I think that we all should thank Tim McSweeney, because without his work this program is impossible. I hope it will be really useful and can help sometimes.

McGinge wrote:And what does the 1e - 1 etc. mean, or have i not read something

Check readme.txt for info, or ask me :)

Ikerous wrote:wow, that runs way better than it did the last time i used it. Awesome work

Yes I think it does. I've improved the engine a bit, so it is less laggy now :wink:
NickyNick
Champion of Light
Champion of Light

Postby scimaster » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:13 am

Problem: It won't let me select nodes in the levels I've made. A little help, please?
Code: Select all
ww@localhost:echo $name

"\  /\  /  /\   |--  |--  |=   |\  |"
" \/  \/  /- \  |    |    |--  |  \|"

Done

ww@localhost:

http://www.freewebs.com/scimaster
scimaster

Postby gamma57 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:20 am

This is excellent!

I think that this is a great addition to the game. It still requires great creativity to make a good level solution, but this makes the micro-tweaking much easier.

btw,
the +- zoom in feature only works on my Num-Pad over on the right. It works very nicely though.
build yourself a ramblin wreck
gamma57
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby McGinge » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:40 am

Bum, i have a laptop and it doesnt have a numpad! Is there any way to reassign the keys Nick??

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Ikerous » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:54 am

McGinge wrote:Bum, i have a laptop and it doesnt have a numpad! Is there any way to reassign the keys Nick??

Use the Fn key
Ikerous
Light Master

Postby McGinge » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:00 am

Erm... Wheres that? :oops: :D

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby McGinge » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:02 am

o sorry found it!! :lol: :roll:

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby NickyNick » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:34 am

scimaster wrote:Problem: It won't let me select nodes in the levels I've made. A little help, please?

The program has been created for tweaking solutions, so it allows to select only user-placed nodes at the level - not the ones that were at the unsolved level.
NickyNick
Champion of Light
Champion of Light

Next

Return to General Contest Discussion / Classic contest archive