Would anyone mind a new "C" league?

General discussions pertaining to the Armadillo Run Forum Contests should go here. Also contains the classic contest threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Would anyone mind a new "C" league?

Postby snowlord » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:14 pm

I often feel that I have done all I can on the current A and B levels, but I still want to play. The obvious idea then is to have another league.

My proposal for the "C" league is briefly:

A "C" contest level
    . could have any level of difficulty. As easy as an "A" or harder than a "B".
    . must have special rules of some kind. No "standard rules apply". These special rules should be at least something like "quickest wins", "only dark solutions" or "exactly four rubbers, two ropes and one elastic should be used".
    . is created by the winner of the previous contest, except for the first one, which is created by snowlord :wink:. If the winner does not want to create a new level, the player in second place gets the honor, and so on.
    . runs for a week at a time, just like the "B" contest.

What do you say? Would you mind if I started a "C" league?
I'm a tweakling (any score posted by me is light, unless stated otherwise)
snowlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby NickyNick » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:22 pm

The new "special rules" League is pretty nice idea. I would vote for it's beginning, because it's good to make as many interesting competitions as possible :D

Also, how about of creating "non-veteran" League? As I see, many novices just can't earn their first medals, because there are a lot of contest legends & lords, who usually participate in "A" and "B" contests.
AR & W:A forever
NickyNick
Champion of Light
Champion of Light

Postby snowlord » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:26 pm

NickyNick wrote:it's good to make as many interesting competitions as possible :D

That's what I think, too.

NickyNick wrote:Also, how about of creating "non-veteran" League? As I see, many novices just can't earn their first medals, because there are a lot of contest legends & lords, who usually participate in "A" and "B" contests.

I agree, but since I wouldn't be able to participate in that league I felt more to drive this idea. But I very much welcome anyone else to start that up!

EDIT: Oh, well, I would be able to participate in that :) But I think it should be a "non-winner" league (yes, I did not read your post very thoroughly :) )
snowlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby mark_man » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:31 pm

up for both
I'm Just A Simple Man.
Please for everyone don't believe ANY scores I post .... :D :twisted:
mark_man
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:28 pm

The more competitions the merrier - although anything which requires awarding people medals or setting up a new forum will of course need the blessings of our benevolent overlord, PeterT :D

However the C competition you describe does take away a lot of what the 'B' competition is supposed to be, so if we set up the C competition formally, we'd probably need to alter B so you weren't allowed over-the-top special rules.
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby luka1222 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:31 am

i agree with dudiobugtron, i like the idea , the more levels we have to play with each week the better. but yeah we will have to lok at the format of this and the b level cos it does sound like just haveing two b comps a week.
of all the things ive lost i miss my mind the most.
luka1222
Light Master

Postby snowlord » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:17 am

dudiobugtron wrote:However the C competition you describe does take away a lot of what the 'B' competition is supposed to be

That would be a problem, yes. I was not trying to make another B, indeed I was looking for things to set them apart. I thought the main point of B comps was to be hard? And looking at the B comps, I don't think the "special rules" rule has been used very much.

But I am open for any suggestions, I just want another league to play in! (Although I do like special rules, especially when they go much beyond what we've seen in the B comps).
snowlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby NickyNick » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:43 am

I've got idea. How about of playing level sets (2-4 levels, that don't have special rules) in B and playing one "special rules" level in C? It will be very very interesting and more challenging than now :D Of course, there will be a bit more work for B hosts, but I don't think that it will be very hard for them :wink:

And the "non-veteran" league... First, the levels will be such hard as in A league or even easier. Second, competitions will start once per week. Third, competitions will be hosted by more experienced players like contest legends (and dudio, of course :D), because it can hard to make really good and easy (!) level for novice.
EDIT: IMO, it will be better to have exactly "non-veteran" league, because otherwise we will run out of contestants very quickly (or there will be 1 or 2 participants each week) :D

I also think that we should talk with PeterT about starting another two leagues as soon as possible (as we consider all the rules and other stuff) :D
NickyNick
Champion of Light
Champion of Light

Postby snowlord » Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:33 am

I'm totally with NickyNick.
snowlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:32 pm

I like special rules. The frequency of B's with special rules seems to be ruled randomly by who the winner is and if he (there are no women here? :wink: ) has the time or inspiration to, having an idea, or feels like making a level with special rules at the given moment. We have had time contests, length contest - limited material - level-sets, and some others. Some of the Matacus contests have some elements that could be used in a B or C comp? Maybe we should have a litle thread where people could mention their Ideas? Of course it is a bit unsatisfying to give away your ideas instead of waiting for the oportunety to publish your own version of it. I partly feel that way from time to time. Dunno. Im a bit neutral to the C - idea. Dont know if its a good enough idea or not. But if you start it up - I will be playing - when I have time. But it is no harm to try it out, if we close it if it does not work as good as we hope for. The matacus is still suffering from lack of entries - making the honor of gaining the matacus medal a kind of pale pleasure. I speak for my self though.
-The Lords from the fjords
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby snowlord » Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:44 pm

May interesting points there.

?rjan Flatseth wrote:it is no harm to try it out, if we close it if it does not work as good as we hope for.

Exactly.

?rjan Flatseth wrote:The matacus is still suffering from lack of entries - making the honor of gaining the matacus medal a kind of pale pleasure.

I think most people want to play and not design. And it is harder to design a good level than try some solution ideas on an AR level, I think.
snowlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby NickyNick » Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:57 pm

?rjan Flatseth wrote:Maybe we should have a litle thread where people could mention their Ideas?

Yeah, there would be a good stuff for C league hosts (such as the theme of Matacus V was discussed at the "walkin' legs" thread). Good idea :D
NickyNick
Champion of Light
Champion of Light

Postby luka1222 » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:54 pm

yeah i sort of like where orjan is going with this , maybe the c comp should be along the lines of special rules where its all about trying to solve a sertain problem in AR and not so much getting to the portal, like the thrower for lenght level we had not so long ago, we could have a thread where people come up with problems they want solving or just the cheapest way of doing sertain things sort of like the matacus then a level in the c comp is made to solve this, i dont know probly just thinkin out load. i dont know bit on the fence really , if there was another comp i would compete either way :)
of all the things ive lost i miss my mind the most.
luka1222
Light Master

Postby NickyNick » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:47 pm

So... how about of starting C comp from monday? If you mind some questions, problems and other stuff about this - come up with your ideas for that
I think that we definitely can start it, just need to make agree it with our electronic deus PeterT :D

Also, I'll be pleased to know your thoughts about "non-veteran" league :idea:
NickyNick
Champion of Light
Champion of Light

Postby snowlord » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:41 pm

luka1222 wrote:yeah i sort of like where orjan is going with this , maybe the c comp should be along the lines of special rules where its all about trying to solve a sertain problem in AR and not so much getting to the portal, like the thrower for lenght level we had not so long ago, we could have a thread where people come up with problems they want solving or just the cheapest way of doing sertain things sort of like the matacus then a level in the c comp is made to solve this, i dont know probly just thinkin out load. i dont know bit on the fence really , if there was another comp i would compete either way :)

I think the "not so much getting to the portal" is OK, as long as the new goal is clearly definable and measurable. Otherwise it will become a matter of judgment and become some kind of design contest. In my opinion, it should be a clear AR skill contest. People like ?rjan and Unw (and the rest of the elite) should be the ones who win most. But not only them of course. Some medals should go to me :twisted:
snowlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Next

Return to General Contest Discussion / Classic contest archive