AR Forum Contest #4 (29/06/06 - 03/07/06)

General discussions pertaining to the Armadillo Run Forum Contests should go here. Also contains the classic contest threads.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby PeterT » Sun Jul 02, 2006 9:19 pm

Good job, I LOL'd :D
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ogre » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:16 pm

kingofthespill wrote:

I hope Bob and Peter and Ogre are bluffing.:(

I certainly hope all of you are bluffing too, as I can't get past $2102. I'm going to have to settle for that.

I think I've got a great starting, but I can't come up with any cheaper endings that actually work, and my current one is as optimized as it's ever going to get.
Ogre
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:25 pm

I will submit my solution now, but sadly I couldn't make it all the way to $2400.
I'm quite sure the winner will be better than that.
Bob
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby kingofthespill » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:46 pm

One thing I am sure about is this level was needlessly hypertensive. I have solutions with like 8 different mutually interacting areas of construction. Tweaking became not fun , tedious, and unrewarding. I think we need contest level guidelines.
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Running-Armadillo » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:50 pm

I agree with king, especially when everyone keeps bluffing, I think, but right now I look like my avatar.
The Thirteen Year-Old Genius.
Running-Armadillo

Postby Bob » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:04 pm

I didn't have that much trouble with the level. I believe it depends on what kind of solution you try to build - using tension seems to cause more instability.

Sure, it can be a bit annoying, but it is hard to construct indestructible walls without rubber. All things considered it's an interesting level, even despite the technical difficulties.
Bob
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Running-Armadillo » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:07 pm

Yea its quite is a tedious level, but in the end at least someone will win, but I dont know how you people do it...
Running-Armadillo

Postby PeterT » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:11 pm

I think tedious is far too strong a word, I had a lot of fun doing it - even if that fun was reduced by short periods of frustration with the engine. I also developed one or two completely new tricks, something that earlier contest levels did not cause me to do.

Sure, it required more effort to complete, but that's not a bad thing in itself.
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Running-Armadillo » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:20 pm

PeterT wrote:Sure, it required more effort to complete, but that's not a bad thing in itself.

Thats true, but I didnt find ant new tricks, can you show them in a screen shot, or explain them, i'd love to see them.
Running-Armadillo

Postby kingofthespill » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:21 pm

I like playing around with the different ideas certainly, but it was just too touchy for me. There is no reason parts couldn't be made more isolated-I am talking a little space here and there, especially space to disconnect the beginning and end. I spent twice as long on this as any level I can think of. Most of the time was spent trying to rebuild a formerly working system, again and again. I had many alternate solutions (which everyone will soon see) and it took a very long time to do each one decently.
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby PeterT » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:23 pm

Running-Armadillo wrote:Thats true, but I didnt find ant new tricks, can you show them in a screen shot, or explain them, i'd love to see them.
Sure, as soon as the contest is over ;)

kingofthespill wrote:I am talking a little space here and there, especially space to disconnect the beginning and end.
I also thought about this. If the problem is caused by "wobbly fixed points" as we currently speculate this would be a rather simple fix. I can also understand your frustration, rebuilding once-working solutions after every single tweak sounds awfully familiar.
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby BFC » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:04 am

Just a note to everyone:

I will not be able to be at my computer at the designated ending time for the contest so ANY solution that you want to be considered for the contest needs to be time stamped by gmail prior to the ending time for the contest.

I'll probably be able to submit the results to Peter around 6:00 - 6:30 EST time (GMT -5 I think?)

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed the level...There's some very slick solutions in my submissions folder!

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Ogre » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:12 am

Ogre wrote:Tried something new, at $2200+ now. It's one ugly solution :shock:, but it works. Not sure how much more I can optimize it though.

Now cruising at an altitude of $2300.

Pretty sure I can't get anything else out of this method, submitted it.

Edit #2: Edit #1 was supposed to be a reply. You get the idea :)
Last edited by Ogre on Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ogre
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby dudiobugtron » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:19 am

PeterT wrote:Good job, I LOL'd :D

Actually you L'dOL

Anyway, hurry up and end, competition, so I can see your answers!

PS: Can someone posthow many hours until the compo ends - all these time zone calculations are giving me a headache :D
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby PeterT » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:53 am

My clock says 4:51 right now, and the competition is scheduled to end at 21:00, so there are about 16 hours remaining.

However, BFC will only be able to send me the results a bit later, so you'll probably have to wait about 19 hours still before seeing our marvellous solutions :D.
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Contest Discussion / Classic contest archive