A different way to play? *evil grin*

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

A different way to play? *evil grin*

Postby east » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:19 am

First of all, I'd like to say that I love this game. It is such a wonderfully simple and elegant game (and I've been telling all my friends to get it). When completing a level, one gets a very nice sense of satisfaction, especially after tuning it to cut out any fat.

With that said, my 4 year old son and I have stumbled into a very different way of playing this game (BTW - this game is great to play with kids!). What we like to do is to:

A) Get the Armadillo safely to the portal
B) Destroy every single feature not necessary to keep the Armadillo in the portal
C) Completely ignore any budgets
D) Use a lot of rockets - sometimes, only rockets to complete the level (obviously, this is only viable on a subset of levels that have catches in the portal for the Armadillo).

In some ways, I could see a completely different gameplay where the goal is to destroy every structure except the bare minimum (i.e. you get points for destroying things but only if the Armadillo reached the portal). This is most fun when just restricting yourself to rockets! And it makes my boy laugh his head off (ok - I laugh too, but I'm laughing because he's laughing - honest... ;-)

Check out the my "solution" I've posted for level 22 Croquet

I was wondering if anyone else does this? Or if a destructo-mode has been considered for this game (or subsequent versions)? With all of this said, my hat is off to Peter, this is a fun game anyway you play it.

east
east

Postby Skrying » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:42 am

I like to make more elaborate structions, and then a budget structure myself. I find it much more fun to make something that is complex for no reason.. lol
Skrying

Postby muskrats123 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:41 pm

I like to build little rocketships with timers on the bottom for the armadillo so he/she can escape to the portal. :)
muskrats123

Over Budget Contraptions

Postby BlackEel » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:44 pm

Heh heh, I did exactly the same thing today at work when I was bored at lunch time:

Over Budget Contraptions

The aim the game is to construct the most complex and over budget contraption you can to complete a simple puzzle, you should end up with a little as possible once the level is complete.

This is my example (start budget: $200, end budget: -$5220)
*note, I haven?t got the full version installed at work so it?s only a screen shot but you get the basic idea.

Demo Level 5 ? Drop

My contraption uses a fair amount of timers, obviously a more elegant solution would just destroy materials as it goes along, but I image this to be an easier task with the non-demo materials.
BlackEel

Return to General