Armadillo Run DS

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

Armadillo Run DS

Postby Cluster Carter » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:33 pm

A good idea?
I think so, but Peter is most likely not going to go with Nintendo or Nintenod will disaprove the AR Concept.
Yeah, I play Armadillo Run. Downloads are avaliable in the Custom Levels Section
My Mysapce:
http://www.myspace.com/cardmak3r
Got Myspace im?
Add me 2 your freinds
WHAT I LOOK LIKE
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q35/ ... C01214.jpg
Cluster Carter

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:53 pm

What does DS stand for?
-Mr.
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby The Dude » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:01 pm

I think I read that nintendo were trying to get line rider on the DS, so AR on the DS (Thats the wierd nintendo handheld with 2 screens ?rjan Flatseth, DS = Dual Screen) isnt that far off of an idea, but thats just being hopeful. Overall if it was made I would buy it.
OSU!
The Dude
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby Cluster Carter » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:12 pm

Here is what i think would be the format:

Title Screen
Top: Intro Level
Bottom: Buttons (Start Game, Edit Levels etc.)

Level Selection Screen:

Top: Levels
Bottom: More levels

GamePlay:
Top: Statisics
Bottom: Material Intrerface/Level

Thats what i think
Yeah, I play Armadillo Run. Downloads are avaliable in the Custom Levels Section
My Mysapce:
Got Myspace im?
Add me 2 your freinds
WHAT I LOOK LIKE
Cluster Carter

Postby Armadillo Man » Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:16 pm

First of all, I think levels would have to be very limited to work in such a small space as the bottom DS screen, and secondly I think the physics engine would have to be a lot less realistic in order to work smoothly on the DS. Don't forget that despite the simple graphics, this game requires pretty powerful hardware (compared to the hardware in a DS) to run.

Basically, I don't think a DS version of Armadillo Run would be anywhere near as brilliant as the PC version.
Armadillo Man

Postby NeXFerret » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:40 pm

Cloth would be out of the question, but it's essentially a dual-core system with an opengl wrapper. It can render 1536 quads/frame at thirty frames a second. I think that's enough for such a small screen. If it wasn't, you'd have to use the framebuffer features. Which'd be painfully slow. ARDS would not be as good as the PC experience; but similar gameplay could be achieved.
NeXFerret

Postby cablelag » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:33 pm

It's an excellent Idea. Remember the 80's game "Another World"? They ported that over to the gameboy advance (homebrew unlisenced). I think Armadillo Run DS would be an awesome idea. The stylus is the perfect control for it. And the 67mhz ARM 9 processor in the DS is plenty to run AR at a resolution of 256x192 with all physics calculations as well.

You wouldn't want a direct port anyways.. we've played Armadillo Run to the Nth degree... It would have to be redesigned for the screen (the large void maps would def have to be changed).. With the zoom feature it would work fine.

I'd buy it.
cablelag

Postby Cluster Carter » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:22 pm

Wi fi Connection would be great, using the programing of Mario vs DK 2: March Of The Minis (which let you upload/download levels :D perfec match!)
My Mysapce:
Got Myspace im?
Add me 2 your freinds
WHAT I LOOK LIKE
Cluster Carter

Postby Armadillo Man » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:30 pm

cablelag wrote:I think Armadillo Run DS would be an awesome idea. The stylus is the perfect control for it. And the 67mhz ARM 9 processor in the DS is plenty to run AR at a resolution of 256x192 with all physics calculations as well.

Remember that even with a zoom feature, you wouldn't just have to calculate the stuff that goes on within the visible area, but everything else as well. It wouldn't have to be displayed, but the physics simulation would have to be just as accurate outside the viewing area.

And then there's the issue of storage space for solutions and self-made levels. I honestly don't know how much rewritable space there is on a game card, but it seems to be quite limited.

Besides, I'm not so sure about the stylus being the perfect control for Armadillo Run. I mean, it isn't; the mouse is. Sure, the stylus is far better than a D-pad for virtually any mouse-driven game, but in my experience it is quite inaccurate, compared to a proper mouse. I'm playing Age of Empires DS now, and I often have to use the D-Pad controls because the stylus controls simply aren't accurate enough.

I love my DS, but I have to admit I can't see a DS version of Armadillo Run being anywhere near as interesting as the PC version. I fear frustrating controls, and for such an advanced physics simulation to work, there would have to be a lot of limitations (as someone else said, cloth would perhaps have to go, and there would probably have to be limitations on the number of objects used as well).

Perhaps it could still be fun. But Armadillo Run 2 (or an entirely new project) would probably be a much better way for Peter Stock to invest his time.
Armadillo Man

Postby cablelag » Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:43 pm

Armadillo Man wrote:
cablelag wrote:I think Armadillo Run DS would be an awesome idea. The stylus is the perfect control for it. And the 67mhz ARM 9 processor in the DS is plenty to run AR at a resolution of 256x192 with all physics calculations as well.

Remember that even with a zoom feature, you wouldn't just have to calculate the stuff that goes on within the visible area, but everything else as well. It wouldn't have to be displayed, but the physics simulation would have to be just as accurate outside the viewing area.

And then there's the issue of storage space for solutions and self-made levels. I honestly don't know how much rewritable space there is on a game card, but it seems to be quite limited.

Besides, I'm not so sure about the stylus being the perfect control for Armadillo Run. I mean, it isn't; the mouse is. Sure, the stylus is far better than a D-pad for virtually any mouse-driven game, but in my experience it is quite inaccurate, compared to a proper mouse. I'm playing Age of Empires DS now, and I often have to use the D-Pad controls because the stylus controls simply aren't accurate enough.

I love my DS, but I have to admit I can't see a DS version of Armadillo Run being anywhere near as interesting as the PC version. I fear frustrating controls, and for such an advanced physics simulation to work, there would have to be a lot of limitations (as someone else said, cloth would perhaps have to go, and there would probably have to be limitations on the number of objects used as well).

Perhaps it could still be fun. But Armadillo Run 2 (or an entirely new project) would probably be a much better way for Peter Stock to invest his time.

The game itself is what 20megs if that? The DS cartidges go up to 128megs so storage wouldn't be a problem.
I hear u on the stylus, and I have the same age of empires game, but that game.. that's not a good game to use as a comparision.. that game is frustrating to control and I too use the D-pad to control because the stylus for that game isn't accurate.. other characters get in the way and u can't select them.

I still stand on the affermation that the DS has enough power to calculate the physics engine within AR. especially at a reduced resolution. And again this wouldn't be a AR clone, much like age of empires isn't the same.. it would have to be designed to be portable in mind.. which means restricitng the field size, and other stuff..

but I doubt we'll see it. Where's peters next project ? :D
cablelag

Postby Armadillo Man » Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:01 pm

I could be wrong, but I don't think all the space on a DS cartridge is rewritable, so I don't think it matters so much what the size of AR DS is (with regards to how much space there would be for user-made levels).

But anyway. Peter Stock is working on another project, and it seems very interesting. :)
Armadillo Man

Postby gokou135 » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:19 am

What else is peter stock working on.

Also one of the foremost reasons it most likely wont be ported to anything other than PC is licensing. Nintendo has some major bad licensing issues, anyone remember Tengen cartridges for the NES......yea exactly lol.
gokou135
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Return to General