Derogatory solution descriptions

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

Are derogatory comments on the official solution page "ok"?

Yes
7%
No
67%
I PWNED YOU SUCKER! is not derogatory!
27%

Total votes : 15

Derogatory solution descriptions

Postby BFC » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:46 am

Hello everyone,

What's everyone's input on having level solutions posted with derogatory descriptions listed?

Here's an example that is ALL OVER the solutions page now. This stuff makes me twitch a little as it shows a complete lack of respect for anyone.

"pwnage on void 4"

"pwnage on moter"

"pwnage on void 16"

it goes on and on and on like that. I don't know about you guys but I find very little "glory" or achievment if you will in tweaking someone elses well thought out solution for that extra $2 and then posting "PWNED SUCKER!" on the solution page.

Maybe it's just me :) However, feel free to reply here if you think it's a bit out of line and not in the spirit of the game at all or whatever you feel it is / isn't.

-BFC

<waves his cane aggressively in the air and sips some prune juice>
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Skrying » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:04 am

I think you're taking "pwnage" way to seriously. Its not mean to harm anyone most likely, its simply a silly term that many people use. I personally find it rather funny.
Skrying

Postby PinkPanther » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:56 pm

I do think that these coments are somewhat childish and while im not particulary bothered i think its best you left it out (and go back to the Warcraft forums).

The thing that does bother me is when you spend hours working on a unique solution that gets you the top spot and hours later someone comes along and 'tweaks' it without even mentioning the original author.

Tweaking does not constitute 'pwnage'. Id much prefer the satisfaction of knowing that you won using your own individual solution and not a $2 hack.

For you serial tweakers out there, at least give credit to the original author please.

PinkPanther
PinkPanther

Postby DSH » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:14 pm

PinkPanther wrote:Tweaking does not constitute 'pwnage'. Id much prefer the satisfaction of knowing that you won using your own individual solution and not a $2 hack.

Yeah, the $2 alteration is pretty patethic. Worse still, I find, is when they act like they're just discovered fire by using an exploit and ruining all chances of worthwhile competition. Yes, we knew about the exploits - we were avoiding them but hey, nice going there. :evil:
DSH

Postby PeterT » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:02 pm

It is quite annoying, especially since 2 of my (built-in level) records were "pwned" by $2. But I'd say that just proves that true mastery can only be displayed in contests :D
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby kingofthespill » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:13 pm

I find it negative, offensive, and not in the spirit of the game.
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Jonny » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:37 pm

Yeah I find it quite offensive too, but what irritates me most (as others have picked up on) is not crediting the actual author of the solution when your own input consists of the tiniest $2 different. It's not difficult to give someone a mention; it's rude not to. I'm personally all for incremental tweaking, on a communal quest to find the cheapest solution, but part of the fun of this is being able to see the development of one idea.
Jonny

Postby happydog » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:15 pm

I would find it offensive, but with just a $2 improvement, I think it is more likely that the author meant it in a humorous way. Like greatly overstating his successful improvement.
happydog

Postby Armadillo Man » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:23 pm

I don't mind the word being used, but like most others here, I don't like it when someone posts a solution they've worked on for an hour and so, and then someone else tweaks it to save $2 and publish it on the solutions site without bothering to give any credit to the guy who actually made the solution.

If BFC makes a great solution, and I tweak it a little, it's still BFC's solution. It's not mine, and I'm not "pwning" anything by manipulating what he's done. If I want to publish the solution, then I suppose most people would be fine with that, but would be quite disrespectful to do so without making it clear that "my" solution is actually just a tweaked version of BFC's solution.

I notice there's one guy who keep doing this without bothering to credit the original authors, and it is quite annoying.
Armadillo Man

Postby Skrying » Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:38 pm

First off, I'm not the person using "pwned" in it, but this is what I have to say:

Saying PWNED!!!!!!!! in your answer, or anything like it is in good fun. Those who are offended by it really need to check themselves, you need to realize the joke in it.

Especially since the solutions are just like $2 tweaks to other, of course saying pwn is then a joke.

I personally dont find this any worse than certain offers who bluff in the contest, find the humor in it.......
Skrying

Pwnd

Postby Running-Armadillo » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:03 pm

Well, I Do Tweak Peoples Solution Just For Compotition, But I Dont Mean any Harm In It, If Someone Had Thered Modified By Me, Im Sorry I Never Would Have Thought Of It In A Harmful Way, I Take My Competitors Very Seriously [Exept For The Pwnd Guy] And Love To Come Home From A Day Out And Look At the Solutions Page And Download A New Solution And Combind Different Solutions, Or Somthing Like That, But Most Of The Stuff This Guy Is Posting Is Just Childish, But My Competitiors Like: Buszmen, Jason, BFC, TMCsweety, kingofthespill, And Many More I Take No Responsibility If I Might Have Tweaked One Of Yours And Didnt Give You Credit, But Most Of All, I Dont Let Anyone Tic Me Off Just Because They Tweaked My Solution.

Many Thanks For The Competition, Skyler Schubert
The Thirteen Year-Old Genius.
Running-Armadillo

Postby Skrying » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:59 pm

Type correctly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Skrying

Return to General