Some new idea's for a future version

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

Postby Thrack » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:41 am

madivad wrote:
dudiobugtron wrote:
?rjan Flatseth wrote:
Unw wrote:There are shortcuts for pause "P" and step forward "O"

-wow! I actually didnt know that! ( :oops: *10 ^ 6 )

Hold on what now?

There's a Pause? I shall second madviad's OMG WOW!!!!

Unw you are awesome.

I'm only a newbie to the game and now that you veterans are discovering this, I don't feel so stupid.

We're all just typical males, and there's an acronym for us...

RTFM

I think 10 ^ 6 is be one million.
One of the top ten inclusions for the game! I'm going to run Armadillo Run just so that I can try it out! I give it a 1010 out of 1010!
Thrack
Thrack

New way of building things

Postby RunArmadilloRun » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:06 pm

Hi

I just stumbled across this roller coaster design.

And I thought hey, this could be something for the next Bridgebuilder/Armadillo!

Building things in a more complex 3D-world.

What do you think? :D

regards - W, Sweden
Attachments
SilverBullet_OverviewHiRes.jpg
RunArmadilloRun

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:25 pm

Looks cool! I would love to try such a game. But it would have nothing to do with armadillorun. It would have to be a totally other game I belive. But anyway - yup yup! I like!
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby dudiobugtron » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:59 am

3d-ifying games hasn't worked so well in the past - while we're still stuck with 2d contorllers I think 2d puzzle games are the best.
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby beejamin » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:08 am

While playing I've thought of a few materials it might be cool to play with:

----- = -----

Velcro: A cloth-like material which is sticky - how well it sticks could differ depending on the materials involved - it might stick best to other velcro, well to cloth, lightly to the 'dillo and rubber, and barely at all to metal.

----- = -----

Liquids: I know this would be a nightmare to simulate, but having water which could flow and fill cups and tracks made by other materials would be great fun.

If the 'dillo floated in water, there could be interesting scenarios, such as filling up a vessel to a certain point to get him to the goal, or stopping up leaks to prevent 'dillo from being carried away.

Simulating water simply might just be fluid boundaries and buoyancy, while a more complex simulation would also simulate currents within the fluid, caused by moving objects. Imagine making moving paddles to push 'dillo where you want him to go!

Taking that idea a step further, different types of liquid could be fun - grease, glue, oil... once you had simulation for liquid in the engine, changing the parameters to produce these different liquids should be relatively easy.

----- = -----

One thing I don't like the idea of is an 'appear' timer - the fact that you need to set everything up in advance is one of my favourite challenges in the game!
beejamin

Postby kingofthespill » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:57 am

I just thought about this again and I really think it should be changed:

Elastic
1. Make it cheap so that once in a while it could be part of an optimal solution.
2. Change its properties to make it more useful. Right now it is fairly easy to break by purchasing tension, and if it is under enough tension at the start it can easily break other materials. Why not have it be like bungee? The differences would be less tension per meter, longer safe stretch distance, and much less internal spring friction so it takes a much longer time for oscillations to stop. That would be much further away from rope, too.

Strengthening
For every material there could be a stronger version that costs 50% more. The difference between strengthened materials and normal materials could be simple, like increased mass and increased force tolerance before destruction occurs.
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:09 am

kingofthespill wrote:Strengthening
For every material there could be a stronger version that costs 50% more. The difference between strengthened materials and normal materials could be simple, like increased mass and increased force tolerance before destruction occurs.

I'm not sure on this one - I like the idea of having to strengthen constructions by adding extra supporting materials in. For a lot of things you can 'strengthen' them just by doubling them up with some rope anyway.

The elastic comment I completely agree with though.
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby kingofthespill » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:25 am

Yeah, strengthening would fundamentally change the game and I am not quite sure how good it would be. Obviously it would make way for more robust structures, and structures that were not so dependent on anchor points. More of an idea that might be worth playing around with.
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby snowlord » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:50 am

dudiobugtron wrote:I'm not sure on this one - I like the idea of having to strengthen constructions by adding extra supporting materials in. For a lot of things you can 'strengthen' them just by doubling them up with some rope anyway.

In theory all problems like this could be solved by disabling features in each specific level. If strengthening doesn't fit this level, disable it.

In practice, however, this function is almost never used, at least not in the comps. I wonder why. If it would be used, less similar solutions would emerge.
I'm a tweakling (any score posted by me is light, unless stated otherwise)
snowlord
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Ryo_Sangnoir » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:44 pm

Kots: Elastic, as far as I know, has been used once as part as an optimal light solution (on Numbers 9 - Nine). Right now it is too similiar to rope, especially, for the cost, to be worth it at all.

Oh yeah, and on Unpossible :P
So...favourite level ever: Donkey Konk. Feauturing reverse-undo-trick-highest-score 274 by RYO, which works UNLESS you undo trick it :P.
Ryo_Sangnoir

Postby NeXFerret » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:28 pm

A folder browser for the levels would be handy so I can seperate mine and others' levels.
The bakeries begin to amass millions as a new product emerges; Armadillo Buns!
NeXFerret

Postby Cluster Carter » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:39 pm

I didnt read all of the posts but...

Cannons: Shooting the armadillo into the direction of the end, same principles of the rockets.

Elevators: To transporrt between vertical and horizantal floors.

Templetes: perfect wheels, bluildings, and parachutes.
Yeah, I play Armadillo Run. Downloads are avaliable in the Custom Levels Section
My Mysapce:
http://www.myspace.com/cardmak3r
Got Myspace im?
Add me 2 your freinds
WHAT I LOOK LIKE
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q35/ ... C01214.jpg
Cluster Carter

Postby Nishimaster » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:50 pm

Cluster Carter wrote:I didnt read all of the posts but...

Cannons: Shooting the armadillo into the direction of the end, same principles of the rockets.

Elevators: To transporrt between vertical and horizantal floors.

Templetes: perfect wheels, bluildings, and parachutes.

Cannons = rubber
Elevators = rocket ship
Templates = circles round portal, make squares with sides of level

All easy enough already :P
Arrive, arise to your new world as this one dies. Forever death will embrace everything.
Nishimaster
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:33 pm

NeXFerret wrote:A folder browser for the levels would be handy so I can seperate mine and others' levels.

You can do this by having different profiles, and copying your levels (say) into a different profile directory.

I have an 'Archive' profile where I keep all the old levels I don't want to delete.
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby kingofthespill » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:47 pm

Ryo_Sangnoir wrote:Kots: Elastic, as far as I know, has been used once as part as an optimal light solution (on Numbers 9 - Nine). Right now it is too similiar to rope, especially, for the cost, to be worth it at all.

Oh yeah, and on Unpossible :P

I didn't know that, I'll check out 9. Still that represents < 1% of levels out there right now.

---------------
Another thing I realized is that there could be weakening as well, i.e. half-price materials which break easily.
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

PreviousNext

Return to General