Solutions to original game levels with version 2 simulation

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

Solutions to original game levels with version 2 simulation

Postby Reuben » Thu May 16, 2013 2:50 am

I first enjoyed this game (and solved all the levels) with the original version 1 simulation. Recently I downloaded version 2 when my son started playing. We are having trouble solving a few levels "cleanly" (for example, level 43 - cascade) in version 2. Does anyone have any hints on this level? Is it solvable in version 2 without breaking any original structure?
Reuben

Re: Solutions to original game levels with version 2 simulation

Postby bythelee » Thu May 30, 2013 7:03 pm

(had to sticky this, as I couldn't find it amongst the other unwanted stuff)

I've got three solutions to the problem, using AR2.0, where none of the structure gets broken.

I bypass the second and third platforms, instead dropping down to the fourth. If you land close to an anchor point, the structure does not break. Anchor points can never be moved, so if you can land exactly on one, you can absorb as much force as needed. In this case, landing close is good enough, as the dillo hasn't fallen that far, or moving that quickly.

Three varieties of returns at the end to get to the portal, for different prices.

If this were a current forum challenge (solve it as cheaply as possible), I would be trying to tune the dillo landing to just break the structure where it lands at the tip of the fourth cascade. Possibly using some extra structure to pre-stress it. The idea is that if the dillo can fall through, then he should reach the portal very economically indeed.
Attachments
Level 43 - Cascade.38-btl-nobreaks.lvl2
(3.94 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
Level 43 - Cascade.68-btl-anotherone.lvl2
(4.01 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
bythelee

Postby bythelee » Thu May 30, 2013 7:10 pm

Another, cheaper version of the fourth cascade return. The cloth turns the dillo more than stopping him, redirecting him downwards.
This lifts the cloth, which is pulled taught against the rope and inertia of the dillo to flick him back under the fourth cascade, and across to the fifth (and portal).

So, completed with no breaks and $96 to spare.

Also, the economical breaker version is here too. $128 cash left, but with a deliberate break of the structure.

Two bars are used to prestress one of the plates. The dillo landing doesn't break the plate immediately, as it gets compressed by the landing. But, the structure flexes under the dillo impact, and the rebound causes the extra bit of tension needed for the plate to break, just in time for the dillo to fall through the gap into the portal.

The first bar/cloth return was adjusted until the dillo landed at the perfect place. Almost directly on the corner, with just enough to fall outwards. Too little, he'd roll along the fourth cascade. Too much, he'd bounce clean over the new opening and fall to his doom. It takes a "goldilocks" solution of just the right amount of everything. :wink:
Attachments
Level 43 - Cascade.96-btl-springreturn.lvl2
(3.97 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
Level 43 - Cascade.128-btl-eco_break.lvl2
(3.93 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
bythelee

Postby Reuben » Fri May 31, 2013 4:47 pm

Nicely done - thanks for digging those up and posting! :D
Reuben

Return to General