Problem with Game Sound

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

Problem with Game Sound

Postby pcdlab » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:53 am

Hi All,

Great game! It helps to keep my design skills sharp in a fun way. One small problem though. When I launch the game, there's no in-game audio and it actually disables the sound on my computer entirely. I have a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS, Windows XP O/S and the latest version of AR.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any advice on how to fix it? I like to listen to the radio or watch TV on my computer while I play games like this so it would be nice to get this fixed.

-pcdlab
pcdlab

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:10 am

Hmh. Odd. I dont have this problem when I use winamp - but when I tried to use (sucky) Itunes - the audio was laggy and disturbed like a cracked CD. AR is using allot of CPU, thats for sure. Have you tried to disable the AR-sound effects? DL newest soundcard drivers, etc... Perhaps you can just get your self a old fashon radio :D ?
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby pcdlab » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:19 am

?rjan Flatseth wrote:Hmh. Odd. I dont have this problem when I use winamp - but when I tried to use (sucky) Itunes - the audio was laggy and disturbed like a cracked CD. AR is using allot of CPU, thats for sure. Have you tried to disable the AR-sound effects? DL newest soundcard drivers, etc... Perhaps you can just get your self a old fashon radio :D ?

The game isn't even coming close to max'ing out my CPU resources, I have the latest audio drivers, I double checked the audio settings to make sure the game didn't change anything, I tried disabling the in-game sound and I only have this problem with AR.

Oh... and I'd prefer to use my Hauppauge PVR500 TV/FM card. :wink:
pcdlab

Postby peterstock » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:18 pm

That does seem odd. The game uses FMOD 3.75 (a pretty robust and mature sound API), and it's used in about the most basic way possible.

The audio co-exists nicely with other audio applications on my machine and I had assumed that it would do so on everyone else's too :-(

Does it disable the sound on your computer even if you disable the sound in the in-game options?
peterstock
Armadillo Run Developer

Postby pcdlab » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:13 pm

peterstock wrote:That does seem odd. The game uses FMOD 3.75 (a pretty robust and mature sound API), and it's used in about the most basic way possible.

The audio co-exists nicely with other audio applications on my machine and I had assumed that it would do so on everyone else's too :-(

Does it disable the sound on your computer even if you disable the sound in the in-game options?

Yup. I tried to enable/disable the in-game sound with no luck. When I start the game, it completely disables all sound on my computer including the in-game sounds. It's strange as I'm using a common SB Audigy 2ZS sound card and only have this issue with AR. I'll take another look to make sure it's not forcing the card to digital input, see if it works with Winamp or something off the wall like that. Thanks...

***UPDATE***

I dug around in the Sound Blaster control panel and discovered that THX must be enabled for analog and not digital output for this game. Why? Beats me. But it works now. It's very "80's arcade" sounding. Laffs...
pcdlab

Return to General