Spin bug

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

Spin bug

Postby the_trout » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:10 am

I don't know if this is a well know bug or not but i found an interesting one. It ocurrs when the armadillo is tightly wraped in cloth. I used 6 pieces of cloth at 100% tension. Then all that is required is to get the ball spining and it will pick up to a set speed and will not speed up above that but will continue to spin as though powered by a motor or something. It will even roll up hill.

the level is attached
Attachments
Spin.lvl
"Spin" by the_trout
(2.9 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
the_trout

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:30 am

It is pretty amazing how many people come up with this on their own!!

We did know about it, but welcome to the AR forums none-the-less! It turns out it is possible to delay the start of the spin, and to even make it change spinning direction - check out the First 'B' Competition for some cool illustrations.

You can get 'better' spin results by building a smaller cloth box for the 'dillo in a level editor, and then moving the armadillo on top of it.

A similar trick with (perhaps much more startling results!) occurs when you use tensioned Rubber; you can actually make an Armadillo UFO!
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby the_trout » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:53 am

Ah well i guess i have alot to learn here then. I tried the rubber, hadn't thought of that yet.

Thanks,
Will
the_trout

Postby cablelag » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:34 pm

I kinda wish these bugs would get fixed.
cablelag

Re: Spin bug

Postby Concave » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:36 am

the_trout wrote:I don't know if this is a well know bug or not but i found an interesting one. It ocurrs when the armadillo is tightly wraped in cloth. I used 6 pieces of cloth at 100% tension. Then all that is required is to get the ball spining and it will pick up to a set speed and will not speed up above that but will continue to spin as though powered by a motor or something. It will even roll up hill.

I made one and for some strange reason it accelerated at an insane rate It was on void 2.
I made a sheet metal diagonal line and at the bottom had cloth then another line going up, but right before the second sheet metal line there was a cloth that was stopping the ball because i had another idea going on, but anyway the ball was spinning so fast it was like when you spin a basket ball really fast and all the lines look like a circle because they are spinning on like an axel. It was INSANE
Be one with the Armadillo
Concave

Postby dudiobugtron » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:17 am

Do you still have the lvl saved Concave? Upload it :D
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Sadly I dont

Postby Concave » Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:06 pm

This was before I had the full game. But dont start crying cause i can give you the next best thing. I luckily took a screen shot of it and it only had one timer and I believe the timer was somewhere in the 2-4 min range or something

Edit: Sorry For some reason it wont let me show it...
Be one with the Armadillo
Concave

Postby trevis » Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:40 pm

Edit: Sorry For some reason it wont let me show it...

Upload it as an attachment.
trevis
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby AzraelUK » Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:14 pm

dudiobugtron wrote:you can actually make an Armadillo UFO!

If I wasn't so damn tired, I'd build this straight away.
AzraelUK

Return to General