Armadillo deformation

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

Armadillo deformation

Postby BFC » Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:14 am

Is it by design that the 'Dillo is able to deform? That is, it can be made to change it's size/shape if enough force is exerted on it.

I am able to force the Dillo through an opening that, after passing through this opening it then comes to a full rest on top of the same opening it just passed through. The opening does not deform as it's made of 2 anchor points.

This seems to me to be pretty obvious that the Dillo can indeed deform and fit through openings that normally it can not if you exert enough force on it.

Just curious if this is intended or not. If it's intended, nice little feature I wasn't aware of until today ;)

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby FFT » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:06 am

What were you using on each side of the opening?
FFT

Postby BFC » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:49 pm

I was testing with rubber at the two anchor points on either side forming an opening smaller than the Dillo.

I imagine it's possible that the rubber on the "pin" that is the anchor point could compress. However, I haven't seen this behavior before and it happens so fast that slow isn't slow enough to be able to tell.

Put two anchor points in space. Attach a piece of rubber between them. Make sure it's one single piece of rubber. Try and break that piece of rubber now and you will see it's rather difficult to break it. Especially if you apply the force directly at an anchor point, which is what I am doing.

-BFC
BFC
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Zut » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:22 pm

I think maybe theres a tiny bit of lateral give in that rubber.

If you force the armadillo against a surface that cant move (e.g. one metal sheet between two anchor points) the armadillo will be forced through that surface rather than squashing. It will bounce back up again though, as if it had compressed.

Im currently making a level to see if you can push it all the way through!
Zut

Postby Skrying » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:09 pm

With enough pressure you can force the armadilo straight through metal. Here, this is one of my levels that demostrates what the 'dilo does with basically no opening and under LOTS of weight:

Push Through

P.S: If that doesnt work please tell me, the FTP was throwing a fit this morning.....
Skrying

rubber

Postby squint » Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:44 am

I've managed to make pieces of rubber pass completely through each other using very little force - I think something about the the rubber imparticular is a bit odd...
squint

Postby Critters » Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:19 am

Thats strange, I have seen on a few levels where loops of cloth have passed through metal :|

Solved your lvl BTW :)
Critters

Return to General