Successfully running AR on Linux.

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

Successfully running AR on Linux.

Postby crumb » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:11 am

I found AR for myself two days ago and I've been endlessly messing in the game since then. While knew it was a Windows program, I went ahead and decided to try running the game under Wine so I can save myself the wasted time of installing Windows on my box. The game has been trekking along without complaints or cashes! :D

What I'd like to ask the community here is if, anyone that owns a full licensed copy of the game, they have been able to run the full version successfully under Wine?

Here's a screeny of the AR demo playing under Wine:
crumb

Postby PeterT » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:48 pm

I have not tried it, but it would be really strange if the demo worked but the full game doesn't. looks like you'll just have to be the first tester. Please tell us wether it works if you buy it!
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby crumb » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:55 pm

Well, I bought myself AR and gave it a shot under Wine. I crossed my fingers and saw that it worked like a charm!

Screeny:

Almost makes me want to try running this game under Mac with Darwine. :D
Happy playing! (sans Windows)
crumb

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:43 am

perhaps it works with C64 and vic16 too. And maybe Tiki-100? :lol: What wine did you gave it a shot under?
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby crumb » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:38 am

I ran AR under the latest stable release of the vanilla flavored Wine. I really didn't do anything special to make AR work for me. I just ran the setup file to install and ran the game executable which works wonderfully. If anyone is going to try this themselves, just make sure "Vertex Shader Support" is turned on to the "Hardware" option if you have a video card. (This should be the default).

The only bug I found with running the game under Wine is that the game wont instantly switch in to Window Mode if you're in Fullscreen. It will enter Window Mode however if you restart the game.
crumb

Return to General