Bug in the official solution uploading page?

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

Bug in the official solution uploading page?

Postby PeterT » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:31 pm

Very strange:

What is happening here?
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby peterstock » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:46 pm

The solution upload page limits the number of solutions to 5 per level. When there are already 5 solutions for a particular level, it drops the lowest rated one (you can rate solutions by clicking on one of the stars).

I think I'm going to make the solution upload page extract the remaining money from the .lvl file when it gets uploaded. The current system doesn't seem to be working too well - a lot of solutions haven't been rated, so they might be good but end up getting replaced (which explains what happened here).

The only problem is this: ranking the solutions by money remaining (and dropping the less cheap ones) would stop any expensive but interesting levels from staying around. What are people's opinions on which system is better: keep the ones which get rated higher, or keep the cheapest ones?
peterstock
Armadillo Run Developer

Postby BiG D » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:29 pm

I think that, ideally, the level solutions page should have all the levels listed, and then clicking on a level takes you to a page with all the uploaded solutions for that level. If that's feasable with the current backend, of course.
BiG D

Postby PeterT » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:07 pm

peterstock wrote:The only problem is this: ranking the solutions by money remaining (and dropping the less cheap ones) would stop any expensive but interesting levels from staying around. What are people's opinions on which system is better: keep the ones which get rated higher, or keep the cheapest ones?
Keep all, but only show the cheapest or highest rated for each level (or perhaps the one with best factor x, where x is computed from both) on the main page. Make the level clickable and have a list of all solutions on that page, ordered chronologically by default. That would be the ideal way to do it from my POV.

Edit: I just noticed that this is very similar to what BiG D said, except for listing the "best" solution on the main page.
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby peterstock » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:55 am

Thanks - that's a good idea. It will certainly make the main page a lot more manageable.

It'll probably take a few days until I rewrite it and put the new version live.
peterstock
Armadillo Run Developer

Postby Jonny » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:14 am

peterstock wrote:The solution upload page limits the number of solutions to 5 per level. When there are already 5 solutions for a particular level, it drops the lowest rated one

I agree with the others, and was thinking the same thing this morning when I uploaded a solution to Hill 2 and noticed it had knocked off someone else's solution, even though they too only submitted it today. Fortunately his wasn't as cheap as mine anyway ;)

A question for Peter S: you say the levels are dropped; are they actually deleted or just not displayed on the page (ie will they need to be uploaded again)?
Jonny

Postby kingofthespill » Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:30 pm

That explains it. I hope you post something in the "news" when you expand it so folks can re-upload their deleted levels.
kingofthespill
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby peterstock » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:24 am

Yes - I'm afraid they're deleted. I'm currently working on a new upload page for the solutions which won't have the '5 solutions per level' limit. It will also group them by level properly making browsing the solutions easier and it will rank them by score too.

It will probably be done in about a week - I'll put a notice about it in the new section on the main page.
peterstock
Armadillo Run Developer

Postby peterstock » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:58 pm

I've change the way the solution page works now. I posted details about it in the rules for uploading levels thread.

There are a couple of minor problems (as described in the New level solutions format thread, but hopefully it's an improvement.
peterstock
Armadillo Run Developer

Return to General