AR2 rendering bugs

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

AR2 rendering bugs

Postby davidar » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:49 am

I'm running Armadillo Run v2.1.0 (Linux), and I'm seeing some strange rendering bugs. The most noticeable is on the main menu (taken after allowing the animation to run to completion):

main-menu.png

I've disabled Compiz, so that doesn't seem to be causing the problem. The tutorials and levels 1-6 run flawlessly, but level 7 has problems (not as severe as on the menu, but still make the level rather unusable). I have some screenshots of this, but first I wanted to check if this is a known bug?
davidar

Re: AR2 rendering bugs

Postby rob » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:10 pm

Don't use linux myself but I would first check if I had the most recent drivers for my videocard. If that doesn't solve the problem I think your best bet is sending peterstock a pm. He is the programmer of the game so he should know.
rob

Postby markmadras » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:24 pm

Don't use Linux either so can't help with this one but think Rob's suggestion may be going in the right direction. Just wanted to tell you that Peterstock is on holiday at the moment so you may not get an immediate reply from him, I think he is away for at least another week.
markmadras

Postby davidar » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:06 am

Ok, thanks.
davidar

Postby peterstock » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:40 pm

I think this might be due to the OpenGL driver not actually drawing the background - I think the game only clears the depth buffer and not the colour buffer if the level has a background texture. Looking at the screenshot, it also looks like the some of the links spelling out 'Armadillo Run' aren't being drawn either. I think this is probably a driver problem - I'm pretty sure that the game is making the draw calls.

Could you try turning off the 'Level background' option off in the options menu? This should fix the buffer clearing problem.

I think the problem might lie in the OpenGL drivers - could you install the latest stable drivers from the video card manufacturer's web site?

For NVidia graphics cards:
http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

For ATI graphics cards:
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

This should properly fix the graphics problems, but let me know if not.
peterstock
Armadillo Run Developer

Postby davidar » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:52 am

Turning off the level background seems to fix the problem. I might just leave it at that rather than interfering with the graphics drivers supplied by Ubuntu (something usually breaks when I do that). Thanks for the help.
davidar

Return to General