Feature requests

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:44 am

PeterT wrote:Is the default view option also new? If so, great, I had to do this every time I openened a level. If not, still great because I finally found it :D

You can check by running 'armadillo.exe' instead of 'Armadillo Run.exe' - it looks like it was there the whole time :P
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:19 am

How about rats running in litle wheels, or bowling balls?
There are 3 new sausages in your mail box.
Inhale my unholy powers - in the shadows of a thousand forgotten dragon fists!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby JP » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:28 am

I'm not going to read through 9 pages of requests to find out if it's already been mentioned, but I think a coordinate entry system would make tweaking so much simpler (click on a node to pull up x,y values).

That being said, v1.03 adds so much to the game as it is. Peter deserves a pat on the back.
JP
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:37 am

JP wrote:I'm not going to read through 9 pages of requests to find out if it's already been mentioned, but I think a coordinate entry system would make tweaking so much simpler (click on a node to pull up x,y values).

This would be useful - so would a similar system for setting timer and tension values!
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby DudleySmith » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:43 am

One thing occurred to me: magnets. a flat magnet drawn out like a metal sheet, but positively charged on one side and negatively charged on the other, the direction of dragging would control the charge orientation.

Attractive/repulsive behaviour would go on as you might expect, and obviously metal sheets and bars would be attracted to both positive and negative poles. However, I think the range of the effect would have to be quite small otherwise the combinations of pairs of interacting objects would be quite difficult.

It would add a completely new game mechanic without being prohibitively difficult to implement like water (though it would add quite a bit of complexity to the simulation of course, since non-touching elements would interact).
DudleySmith

Postby Andrew » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:46 pm

dudiobugtron wrote:
JP wrote:I'm not going to read through 9 pages of requests to find out if it's already been mentioned, but I think a coordinate entry system would make tweaking so much simpler (click on a node to pull up x,y values).

This would be useful - so would a similar system for setting timer and tension values!

Right now I'm working on an external editor that will soon be able to do exactly that (set exact values).
It only works with level files at the moment though, not solutions.
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby luka1222 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:08 pm

dudlysmith that is a damb good idea! i like it, magnets would be a very welcome adition, think of the new posibilities for machanisms and moters ect.
nice idea

you could evan incorperate some sort of timing system like an electromagnet
of all the things ive lost i miss my mind the most.
luka1222
Light Master

Postby dudiobugtron » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:29 pm

Andrew wrote:
dudiobugtron wrote:

Right now I'm working on an external editor that will soon be able to do exactly that (set exact values).
It only works with level files at the moment though, not solutions.

Aren't they the same? :shock:

Also, I think if you use your own level editor to gain a big advantage over other competitors this is against the spirit of the ARF Competition.
dudiobugtron
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Ryo_Sangnoir » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:08 pm

You can already set exact timer and tension values if you zoom in all the way. It's just a bit annoying.
Ryo_Sangnoir

Postby PeterT » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:31 am

dudiobugtron wrote:Aren't they the same? :shock:
No, the checksum for solution files is more complex and I don't think anyone has figured it out so far.

dudiobugtron wrote:Also, I think if you use your own level editor to gain a big advantage over other competitors this is against the spirit of the ARF Competition.
No problem because of the above. Also I'd guess Andrew would release the editor anyway. I also wanted to write one, but now that university has started again I don't think I'll have the time.
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

OBS! Peter Stock!

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:27 am

I think there is some bugs in the new AR. The most serious: I copy-pasted a construction from one solution to another and deleted it. The cost of this was added to the "start-budget" so my entry became falsley 800$ "better".

Feel free to delete this post if I have missed whats really happening. :wink:
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Re: OBS! Peter Stock!

Postby JP » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:04 am

?rjan Flatseth wrote:I think there is some bugs in the new AR.

I wasn't able to reproduce that one (not to say it isn't valid), but I was able to copy a rocket into a restricted material level... :?

Oh well... it should be easy enough to validate contest solutions if what you say is true. You should just be able to clear the level to ensure the start budget matches the original budget.

Don't complain too loudly... Peter might remove the copy \ paste functionality :(
JP
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby ?rjan Flatseth » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:17 am

The copy paste function is a bless!! I didnt mean to complain. I just thought that as the bugs are there - its better to know about them!
?rjan Flatseth
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby Andrew » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:50 pm

PeterT wrote:
dudiobugtron wrote:Aren't they the same? :shock:
No, the checksum for solution files is more complex and I don't think anyone has figured it out so far.

dudiobugtron wrote:Also, I think if you use your own level editor to gain a big advantage over other competitors this is against the spirit of the ARF Competition.
No problem because of the above. Also I'd guess Andrew would release the editor anyway. I also wanted to write one, but now that university has started again I don't think I'll have the time.

I do plan to release the editor, it's at a working state right now but it could get more user friendly. It's no match for the proper AR editor but it does allow you to do things that the built in editor doesn't.
And as I said, it doesn't work with solutions, I haven't even looked at the format for them, and it's a bit of a grey area, possibly being the person who wins is the person with the best external editor. Which we don't want to happen.
Andrew
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby tmcsweeney » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:47 pm

Have a look at the StaticTest.py script I posted as part of the level decompiliation tools. It goes 95% of the way towards solving the problem of people tampering with contest levels before they start solving them.

The only bit missing is the final calculation of the budget when tension is used. If someone is patient enough to work that bit out you'd have a script that automatically validates solutions from the command line.
tmcsweeney

PreviousNext

Return to General