Feature requests

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

Feature requests

Postby Ulgen » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:55 am

I don't know how much development time you guys are putting into this, but is it ok to post some feature requests? If so, this should be the place to do it. 8)

First request. I've been playing around with this game for some time, and when I've solved a level, I don't really know how well I've done. I try to do them cheap, but I don't know anything about what others have achieved. So. I want an online highscore listing.

It could work like this. When you start the game, you can choose to log in to a server which holds the highscores. Whenever you find a cheaper solution to a level, your score is uploaded to the highscore server. Then you can see yourself on the list, what position you are in, how many people that have uploaded a score and what score they've acheived. This way the challenge is upped and you get a good response to how well you've done. Pluss you'll (probably, unless you're a god) want to try again, just to climb on the ladder.

An additional bonus to this is that you can require a unique registration code to be able to register on your highscore server. (Of course, this will be supplied automatically by the game, so it's completely transparent to the user.) This way, only people that have bought the game will be able to go online to compare their achievements. Those who have copied the game (yes, it's only a matter of time before it starts to circulate) will not have this possibility, but as they see it's available, they'll want to purchase the game just to get the possibility.

Second request. Also one to make people pay for the game. When you're logged in, you can download new official maps and packs that are only available through this service.

Possible? Interesting?
Ulgen

Postby Stigern » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:54 am

Some features I would like.

- Copy-Pase
- Rotate
- Predefined stuff, as engine, and rotating stuff.
- More building materials, as plastic, or heavy-steel.

Just some ideas from me :)
Stigern

Postby tmcsweeney » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:57 am

I second the online high score table, maybe even include the option to upload/download levels from within the table. i.e. if you get a high score your solution is uploaded along with the score so that people can see how you did it.

I'd also like a feature whereby if I download someone else's high scoring level and run it, it DOESN'T update my high score. It should only update my score if I built the level.

I'd also like to see a way of organising the list of levels a bit more. Perhaps the ability to collapse level sets to just the "Total Score" line. We've only had the game for a little while and already my list of levels is getting a bit unwieldy.

- Copy-Paste
- Rotate

Copy-Paste and Rotate would be nice, but I don't think we need more building primitives. I like the game as is. It is pretty minimal, with no redundancy. I like that you have the simple set of bendy-bouncy-rigid trio in forms that either interact with the 'Dillo or not (plus rockets to provide force). And from those you can build pretty much anything else.

If there were going to be new primitives I think they should have unique properties rather than just be stronger or weaker variants of things that already exist, nor do I do think they should be things that you can build out of the existing primitives.

For building complex levels it would be nice if you could define templates by selecting a bunch of primitives (e.g. a wheel) and then clicking a button to add them to a list of templates that can be dropped whole into the level. (a more powerful variation of Copy-Paste)

Finally, for version 2.0 I think it would be fun if you could create levels with more than one Armadillo or Portal, perhaps colour coded so that certain 'Dillos can only go into certain portals. I think this would have the potential for some far more complex puzzles.
tmcsweeney

Postby PeterT » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:30 am

tmcsweeney wrote:Finally, for version 2.0 I think it would be fun if you could create levels with more than one Armadillo or Portal, perhaps colour coded so that certain 'Dillos can only go into certain portals. I think this would have the potential for some far more complex puzzles.
From all the great ideas posted here, I like this one best. I obviously don't know how Peter implemented the game, but from my CS point of view it shouldn't even be that difficult to add. All the ingredients are there already, the only thing that may be needed is Armadillo <-> Armadillo collision. But sphere/sphere is quite trivial.
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby JackR » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:17 pm

Having an archive of constructions that you've built (or downloaded) would be lovely. That way one could happily generate bridges/pulleys/wheels without any of the labourious work.

My other suggestion, that I'm sure wouldn't be hard to implement is a proper undo-stack. Single undo commands just don't cut the mustard these days.

:armadillo:
JackR

Postby Stigern » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:19 pm

tmcsweeney wrote:
- Copy-Paste
- Rotate

Copy-Paste and Rotate would be nice, but I don't think we need more building primitives. I like the game as is. It is pretty minimal, with no redundancy. I like that you have the simple set of bendy-bouncy-rigid trio in forms that either interact with the 'Dillo or not (plus rockets to provide force). And from those you can build pretty much anything else.

If there were going to be new primitives I think they should have unique properties rather than just be stronger or weaker variants of things that already exist, nor do I do think they should be things that you can build out of the existing primitives.

Yes, but for some constructions it would be great to have a stronger metal. Or maybe rockets that can be controlled by the player. On or off.
Stigern

Postby Ulgen » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:05 pm

Stigern wrote:Yes, but for some constructions it would be great to have a stronger metal. Or maybe rockets that can be controlled by the player. On or off.

Don't really want to be deconstructive here, but I agree with tmcsweeney here. The charming part of this game is its simplicity. Adding those things would just be... Bjall. (Lacking a good english word, sorry for the norwegian... :wink: )
Ulgen

Rulers

Postby gcampbell » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:47 am

I really suport the ideas of copy-paste and rotate. Alternately, I would suggest that the game would benifit from being able to construct rulers that could be set to specific, unchangeable lengths and would have mid-point and quarter-point markers on them. Rather than copying existing elements one could use a ruler to make many identical copies (since one element cannot be directly overlayed on another in a structure). If a "lock size" function was used the items could then be rotated into place without changing the length. Also, the ruler would allow for easy spacing of spokes in wheel structures and other devices. If rulers could be attached together they could be used as templates as well. I like this solution because it stays in the minimalist approach of the game. I also think a 3D version of the game would be amazing, but would obviously require a lot of development. Still though, congratulations on a wonderful game!!! I love it!
gcampbell

Postby Skrying » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:17 am

The game is already in complete 3D, the camera is simply only sit to allow you to view from the side or point of view of the ball. Other than that though, it is 3D.
Skrying

Postby Zoyx » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:54 am

No, it is 2D. Yes, the parts are 3D in shape, but we are forced to build everything in a 2D plane.

True 3D would be tough to play. That would really challenge your ability to think spatially.

I want the ability to add a background image. Or better yet... a sky box.
Zoyx

Postby Ulgen » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:25 am

Zoyx wrote:True 3D would be tough to play. That would really challenge your ability to think spatially.

And potentially ruin the simplistic nature of this game, if not handled correctly. I love 2D gameplay with 3D graphics. IMHO, the worst thing that ever happened to the Worms franchise was opening the gameplay to a "full 3D world". It took the charm and simplicity out of the game. And it was impossible to aim too...
Ulgen

Postby tmcsweeney » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:56 pm

Ulgen wrote:IMHO, the worst thing that ever happened to the Worms franchise was opening the gameplay to a "full 3D world". It took the charm and simplicity out of the game. And it was impossible to aim too...

Took the exact words right out of my mouth :)

Zoyx wrote:True 3D would be tough to play. That would really challenge your ability to think spatially.

The hardest part would probably be the user interface. orienting bars in arbitrary 3d space would be a nightmare.
tmcsweeney

Postby PeterT » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:22 pm

tmcsweeney wrote:The hardest part would probably be the user interface. orienting bars in arbitrary 3d space would be a nightmare.
Actually, Pontifex 2 (aka. Bridge construction set) does it, however the interface is quite a bit harder to use, as you say. Though I wouldn't exactly call it a "nightmare" either ;)

Anyway, I agree with the main point: It is doubtful whether Armadillo Run would gain more than it loses by allowing true 3D building. Multiple Armadillos on the other hand...
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ulgen » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:54 pm

PeterT: What are your thoughts on an online scoreboard? I know it'll be a bigger job, as you need to set up a server and all that. But you can still get a bonus that'll make people buy your game (not just download it from a torrent...)
Ulgen

Postby PeterT » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:24 pm

You're confused, it's not my game ;)

I'm Peter Thoman, just some guy who runs this messageboard. The person you think I am is Peter Stock (reachable at enquiries@armadillorun.com), who programmed Armadillo Run.

What I personally think is that an integrated online scoreboard wouldn't be a bad idea, however it would need to automatically upload the solutions as well to be cheat resistant. For now, I think we can manage to keep track using a combination of this board and the official site's solution uploading section.

And on an unrelated note, are there actually people out there that pirate games like Armadillo Run? Perhaps I should require a valid registration code to create an account here... just joking of course, but I think that's quite sad.
Last edited by PeterT on Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeterT
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to General