Armadillo Run on Speed Demos Archive!

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

Armadillo Run on Speed Demos Archive!

Postby sendai45 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:24 am

I recently submitted a speed run of the 50 built-in levels of AR2 to http://speeddemosarchive.com/ and now they need verifiers to look at my video and make sure I didn't cheat. Please go register and offer to help! You can find the forum post here:

http://forum.speeddemosarchive.com/post/runs_needing_verification_79_changed_april_8th.html

If my run is verified and accepted, Armadillo Run will be featured on their front page! They have a large community of experienced gamers, and I think it would be wonderful to have a few of them join our game. Keep the forums alive!
sendai45

Re: Armadillo Run on Speed Demos Archive!

Postby bythelee » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:36 pm

I've signed up.....

Registering is as simple as choosing a username and an email address.

Ideally we need at least six volunteers, although they only need 3 verifications (and will eventually accept just 2).
They'll only send out the run for verification after enough volunteers are found.

So please volunteer even if you don't have the time/interest to sit through all of sendai45's solutions..... :wink:
Follow the link and select "start a new private thread" after registering.
bythelee

Postby sendai45 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:37 pm

I beat the game in around 6 and a half minutes. Shouldn't be too hard to watch! :lol:

Average level completion time was something like 7 seconds. Considering the 5 seconds for the dillo to disappear, I think I did pretty well! :o
sendai45

Postby sendai45 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:09 am

Hello all, long time no see!

I just got the word that enough verifiers have signed on to watch the speedrun I made all those months ago, and I just finished submitting the actual runs via torrent. Hopefully any and all of you who signed up will be getting word by PM soon about what comes next!
sendai45

Postby bythelee » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:11 am

I did get an email, but most of the links in it fail.

The only working link takes me to an ftp folder with 50 .mpg files in it - one for each level I guess.
Am I supposed to download and watch them, do you think?
bythelee

Postby bythelee » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:17 am

There were only two verifiers - me and "Blazier".
It's not an AR Forum member name....
But, Flip thought I was "long gone" and was expecting only Blazier to respond.
So with luck, my response will be enough even if it's the only one.

I have watched the 50 levels, and have to say, great effort! :D

I hadn't realised you had specifically rerun all of the levels, intending to be as rapid as possible. Yes, I know that's the point of a "speed run", but AR budgets are not conducive to getting there quickly. Well, I used to think that! :lol:
It was weird watching solutions that did not care how much they cost, but got the dillo home quickly. A very different sort of challenge.

Plenty of rubber launchers and rockets to get the dillo moving. As if the dillo won't fall fast enough in the long drop levels, he always gets a launcher to help get him started! Mad!

I particularly liked levels:
18 - just 5.34s, including the 5s for portaling, and an awesome dead stop in the portal.
28 - an elegant little mechanism for hustling the dillo along the bridge and activating the catcher.
40 - dillo rides bareback on a rocket down a ski slope and across a void all the way into the portal. Living dangerously - love it.
49 - the plate balancing act in the portal is amazing. The rest of the solution is pretty awesome too.

The run files will only be available until Oct 24. The link I got for accessing the mpgs was:
http://v.speeddemosarchive.com/ArmadilloRun
bythelee

Return to General