Force

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

Force

Postby Ikerous » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:15 am

Am I the only one who had no clue this happened?
Attachments
Force.lvl
(502 Bytes) Downloaded 210 times
Ikerous
Light Master

Postby TSchultz » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:51 am

(I'm calling them 1 2 and 3 in order from Anchor point out.)
It looks like when three hits the middle of 1, it gets a bump.
So I'm thinking that this is acting just like the classic force, except it happens at certain points and isn't continuous. If you watch the bottom one in slow motion, it becomes pretty clear (I think anyways).
TSchultz
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Ikerous » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:09 am

Yeah it didn't seem too hard to figure out why it was happening, I've just never seen it before
Ikerous
Light Master

Postby TSchultz » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:10 am

OOooh I misread what you said. Yeah. I did something like that in part of a bigger thing before I knew what the force was.
TSchultz
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby smjjames » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:05 am

looks like its the same force mechanism behind force paddles, just without the piece of metal, cloth or rubber attatched.

When you look at a force paddle (or any similar mechanism) you'll notice that it moves back and forth a little bit. So I think what is happening here is that the same force is just doing what it should do, just working awkwardly because it doesn't have the metal plate or whatever to work against.

Somehow the middle one reaches a point after the first rotation where it reaches full power and quickly snaps off the anchor. Probably because it's so small, it doesn't take much inertia for it to reach that point.

I thought maybe this could be called the 'naked' form of the force paddle, but dunno about using that term, lol.
smjjames

Postby TSchultz » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:10 am

Oh yeah. This topic reminded me.
It seems like there's a certain speed at which the force works really strangely...
I fail at explaining things, but here's an example. Most of the paddle breaks off, and the rest keeps spinning until it break at about 55 seconds...
Attachments
ARFC_A_CI_Mario.1238-FF-DarkTwo.lvl
(3.56 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
TSchultz
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby smjjames » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:02 am

It's probably something more complicated and would need a look at the actual numbers going on in the physics engine.

I guess it sort of slowly builds up temsion and stays just below the critical breaking point, then sooner or later it reaches the critical stress point and breaks.

It's probably something directly in the physics engine that we can't see (without the proper tools anyway) that relates to the amount of stress in a material.

We'd have to ask PeterT about the specifics as he is the one that programmed the physics engine.
smjjames

Postby McGinge » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:31 pm

No he didnt... Peter Stock did; Peter Stock and PeterT are entirely different people!!! :)
In an ideal world, where anything and everything is in perfect form, is there a perfect form of imperfection?

Work THAT one out! :)
McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby smjjames » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:56 pm

oh, I thought PeterT was the one who made or helped make the game or something, was confused sorry.
smjjames

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:22 pm

That is amusing Ike. It is a new mutation of the force. We must name it!

As for FF's perpetual broken paddle, The reason it spins is momentum. The big metal bar is spinning and running into the other bar's node, making the node try to get away. The collision isn't enough to reduce the big bar's speed, so the process repeats.

Here is what I did real quick. It doesn't like to happen without the extra bar or the plate, so whatever. It is a very interesting concept.
Attachments
Fickle Force.lvl
(376 Bytes) Downloaded 163 times
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Return to General