So, I read the "Creativity Medal" threads...

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

Postby tomo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:54 pm

ha ha ha we won and now you are triing to get out of it :)
IF YOU ARE HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT keep it for yourself
tomo
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby McGinge » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:03 pm

I agree with you totally... I didnt want this whole thing to have medal prefixes, avatars etc; just some kind of incentive for creative newbs who can never get a good scoer but have actually utilised the level really well. And yeah Overlords thing is pretty damn cool!! All it needs is a copy into ur sig along with the number you have won, and its done... I might start my own "i-created-the-idea-and-just-want-something-simple" clan! Whos with me??

Where in there am I trying to get out of it???
Im just saying that the whole "prefix, avatars, automated scoring system" stuff is a bit annoying, and the whole thing needs simplifying! OK? :D
In an ideal world, where anything and everything is in perfect form, is there a perfect form of imperfection?

Work THAT one out! :)
McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby NickyNick » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:52 pm

Lol. Creativty Medals system turned to "do-it-with-your-signature" stuff :D

Let me say. As I see (and you just said), Creativity Medal's main idea is to prevent talented newbie players from being scared with skilled and experienced veterans, and to leave them chance for getting medal (and gaining experience, too!).

Earlier, we tried to solve this problem with setting up "N" League - series of non-veteran contests. I think that "N" League made the whole situation much better. As far as I know, all (with very few exceptions) new players start there, and gain their first medals in competition with equal opponents. So, creating of "N" League made big step in solving our problem.

But, anyway, the problem hasn't gone. After turning to the "Contest Veteran" rank, most of newbies don't get much experience for fighting with "top" players, who rule in "A", "B" and "C" Leagues.

I think, that the whole system needs to be changed. When I was novice, Orjan Flatseth was at top of the ranking with 9 or 10 medals. I thought that it wasn't too big for reaching, so I had real stimulus to play - my goal was to become Champion of Light and #1 of the Rank.

What we can see now? Newbie needs to get 41 medals for #1, 29 for #2, etc. It seems unreal. From other side, I have no stimulus too (except the Armadeus rank - gonna get that 10th dark medal soon), because #2 of the Rank needs to get more than 10 medals to reach me.

Long time ago I proposed solution of this problem - to set up AR Seasons system. Each season will have duration of 3 months, or something like that - maybe, 30 contests. In the beginning of each season, all medals should be cleared, so everyone start with 0 points (results of previous seasons should be saved somewhere, so we can determine winners of each season). This will make the battle much more interesting, and newbies will have chance to gain the leadership in the Rank.

Here are my thoughts.
AR & W:A forever
NickyNick
Champion of Light
Champion of Light

Postby JonathanF » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:04 pm

Nick's suggestion seems really nice but there are a few problems with it IMO:

3 months for a season is way too much- Nick who's ranked no.1 could have only participated in 3 seasons if such system did exist.

Old seasons results mus be stored somewhere and people must get their credit for the seasons they have won, let's say Nick will win ~60% of the seasons, ioncorpse and Unw another ~25% and ~15% for other users, it would still make people back off and have no chance to get to the top (seasons collected instead of medals).

We obviously need to find a way to make it easier for skilled new players to get to the top but I doubt the seasons system being good for this purpose.
"It's just a reflection of dark past, remains of a ruined, dead, cursed soul, and also another reason for you to hate me..."

-Meyhna'ch
JonathanF
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby McGinge » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:53 pm

At first I thought the seasons thing was quite good, but then realised it would scare noobs off more. If they won a medal after lots of hard work then that hard work they put in is just gonna contribute to nothing. IMO the standings are good as it is, its just no noobs are gonna join the forum if they see seasoned players winning everything. Hence another medal imo was my suggestion. :D
In an ideal world, where anything and everything is in perfect form, is there a perfect form of imperfection?

Work THAT one out! :)
McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:53 am

JonathanF wrote:I don't want to become a part of this discussions but there are a few things I had to point out:

First of all, I am opposed to the creativity medal but if I had any talent for painting I would've helped designing the medals just in case. I can't see then why you think Overlord supports the idea only because he helped designing the icons.

Secondly, There are the two lists of the "for" and "against" and I think that you guys should not only check the number of the voters but there are also other perimeters to be checked:

:!: "Veteranity" of members:
    Ikerous, Dec 2006
    JonathanF, Jan 2007
    Tomo, Feb 2007
    Overlord, Jan 2007
    Luka, Sep 2006
    DrRoy, Oct 2006
    NickyNick, Dec 2006

McGinge, May 2007
    TShultz, Jul 2007
    Scimaster, Apr 2007
    Gamma57, May 2007
    jimbojetuk, Jul 2007

:!: Involvement in the forum (top-posters)
    Ikerous, 5th
    JonathanF, 12th
    Tomo, 8th
    Overlord, 14th
    Luka, 6th
    NickyNick, 2nd

McGinge, 4th
    TShultz, 41st
    Scimaster, 21st
    Gamma57, 22nd
    jimbojetuk, 37th
    (Not to mention that half of these guys' posts are connected to the creativity medal :P)

:!: Using this forum in the name of playing AR (medals and rank)
    Ikerous, 17, 6th
    JonathanF, 17, 5th
    Tomo, 2, 38th
    Overlord, 4, 21st
    Luka, 21, 4th
    DrRoy, 3, 31st
    NickyNick, 41, 1st
    (Also, I have read somewhere that ioncorpse is opposed to the creativity medals and I'm pretty sure that Unw is opposed to them based on his characters and posts, so that means all of the top players are opposed to it)

McGinge, 6, 17th
    TShultz, 3, 30th
    Scimaster, -
    Gamma57, 6, 16th
    jimbojetuk, -

Why am I not on that list? I'm like 11th or something. And yes because of the creativity medal. And no I don't really have "veterinity" because my account sat and mildewed for a few monthes before I started posting a lot.

I'm beginning to wonder who thinks I have good (okay? just alright?) ideas and who thinks my contstant barrage of ideas and talk is getting annoying. I hope it's not the latter but I'm wouldn't be surprised if it is :| :D

JonathanF wrote:-Suppose a creativity medal is given only in special occasions when someone has invented something new like the 1st metal bar pulley, 1st force launcher, 1st "Uber Force" etc... If these "inventions" aren't the cheapest there is no good in using them again and therefore don't deserve a "creativity medal". If they are really cheap and original they have probably won the level and therefore don't need a creativity medal

Well... I don't agree with that. I think even if the inventions aren't cheap, they could be awarded a creativity medal because spectator level people could use them. I'm sure I can have some fun with that powerboat thing from NickyNicks "Bug Collection". I guess this point is mute :? (moot? that's how it sounds but not spelled i think) because there is a "level creation" and a "building tips" and an (etc etc) forum for that. Also this point is mute because I'm not all out for the creativity medal anymore because NickyNick thought of something promising (or it has potential or something).

NickyNick wrote:Lol. Creativty Medals system turned to "do-it-with-your-signature" stuff :D

I will drop that if your idea (below) becomes better than creativity medals.

NickyNick wrote:
Let me say. As I see (and you just said), Creativity Medal's main idea is to prevent talented newbie players from being scared with skilled and experienced veterans, and to leave them chance for getting medal (and gaining experience, too!).

Earlier, we tried to solve this problem with setting up "N" League - series of non-veteran contests. I think that "N" League made the whole situation much better. As far as I know, all (with very few exceptions) new players start there, and gain their first medals in competition with equal opponents. So, creating of "N" League made big step in solving our problem.

But, anyway, the problem hasn't gone. After turning to the "Contest Veteran" rank, most of newbies don't get much experience for fighting with "top" players, who rule in "A", "B" and "C" Leagues.
That is a great point! I found out becoming a veteran kind of sucks now. :shock:
NickyNick wrote:
I think, that the whole system needs to be changed. When I was novice, Orjan Flatseth was at top of the ranking with 9 or 10 medals. I thought that it wasn't too big for reaching, so I had real stimulus to play - my goal was to become Champion of Light and #1 of the Rank.

What we can see now? Newbie needs to get 41 medals for #1, 29 for #2, etc. It seems unreal. From other side, I have no stimulus too (except the Armadeus rank - gonna get that 10th dark medal soon), because #2 of the Rank needs to get more than 10 medals to reach me.

Long time ago I proposed solution of this problem - to set up AR Seasons system. Each season will have duration of 3 months, or something like that - maybe, 30 contests. In the beginning of each season, all medals should be cleared, so everyone start with 0 points (results of previous seasons should be saved somewhere, so we can determine winners of each season). This will make the battle much more interesting, and newbies will have chance to gain the leadership in the Rank.

Here are my thoughts.

Wow. Nice!

"It seems unreal"

I couldn't have said it better myself. Actually, I simply didn't have the thinking power to come up with that (yet! I will get schooled and then sound smart like that).

Anyway, those three solitary words really hit home. It made me realize where I could be creative in any contest (I mean most creative. Yes you do need creativity to win, but...) : Hosting! That is where you can be creative. You have to make a level. I really enjoyed making my Indiana jones levels (yeah I screwed it up with the rules and the many levels and the lag and blah). But I could only showcase it if I won. You have to admit, your level really doesn't get as much attention if it's not a contest level, right? I just can win enough. Hmm... that's why I've found myself saying "Ooh ooh! I have a level if anyone doesn't have one!" and "I'll host!" even when I didn't win, because I really get a kick out of making and showing off a level.

NickyNick, you had/have won so many times, your idea pile (which is huge [you have a lot of creativity!]) had been exausted. You started having other people give you levels because you couldn't come up with any more.

I think I have the creativity but not really the ability to win to get to utilize that as much as I'd like to. Alot of times when I do complete a level to my satisfaction, someone post a score that I have no idea how I can reach. For example, on Dr.Roy's space journey thing level I had some Ideas to get a good score. Then people post scores that have the dillo getting into the portal in 1.5s :? 1s :( .75s :x .2s :evil: :evil: !! And I give up with a sigh.

5#i7, I'm writing a thesis statement! I'm stopping now. Why can't I ever do this in school?
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby JonathanF » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:24 pm

Drago, you're not in the list because I copy-and-pasted your list from your message lol.
Just like it took Peter long time to activate your account it took him long time to activate everyones' :P

Nick and I have discussed the whole ranking system and we have a few thoughts and ideas, and whenever we finish discussing it we'll create a new thread were you can and should post your thoughts regarding it.
We're soon moving to a new server according to Peter so a new system would fit :P
"It's just a reflection of dark past, remains of a ruined, dead, cursed soul, and also another reason for you to hate me..."

-Meyhna'ch
JonathanF
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:28 am

JonathanF wrote:Drago, you're not in the list because I copy-and-pasted your list from your message lol.

Oh, I didn't even recognize it! :oops: :D

JonathanF wrote:Nick and I have discussed the whole ranking system and we have a few thoughts and ideas, and whenever we finish discussing it we'll create a new thread were you can and should post your thoughts regarding it.

Sounds great knowing you guys. And of course I will post! Why I would ever pass that up I do not know. 8)
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Previous

Return to General