Creativity Medal Design and Details

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

Postby McGinge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:03 am

my purpose for it wasnt to create a whole new category of award; i just wanted the more creative side of AR to be opened up again. It seemed to me that contests were all about tweaking for hours to get $2 out of some unoriginal dark force paddle solution... I wanted to remove some of the elements of that and bring back the fun!!

Edit:(not saying AR isnt fun!!)
In an ideal world, where anything and everything is in perfect form, is there a perfect form of imperfection?

Work THAT one out! :)
McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Ikerous » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:09 am

But isn't that (And hasn't it always been) the point of these competitions? To see who's best at making the best solution?

I blaim the 2$ tweaking on people having no clue how to make good levels. Good fun levels are very rarely won by less than 10 dollars
Ikerous
Light Master

Postby McGinge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:11 am

best isnt necesarily (and for some reason ive just forgotten how to spell) the most creative... Tweaking $2 out of a force paddle to make the cheapest solution doesnt qualify as the best in a sense; does it?
In an ideal world, where anything and everything is in perfect form, is there a perfect form of imperfection?

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby Ikerous » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:13 am

McGinge wrote:best isnt necesarily (and for some reason ive just forgotten how to spell) the most creative... Tweaking $2 out of a force paddle to make the cheapest solution doesnt qualify as the best in a sense; does it?

If it's the cheapest.. then yeah, it's the best...

But like I said. If the host thinks out the level before submitting it, then they can quite easily make a level that won't come down to small tweaks; even the dark solutions.

Oh, and no more bar pullies! Ever. Before submitting a level ask yourself if the best solution will be a bar pulley. If it is then start over ><!
Ikerous
Light Master

Postby gamma57 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:18 am

Ya that is true. Take my recent N-League level for example. While novel and fairly interesting at first, the novelty wears off once you realize that there is a 34$ solution and everyone starts winning.

Or even if you neglect the 34$ solution, everyone elses solutions were within 8$ of each other. Good rope-cloth bridges, but all essentially the same. I blame this on the fact that my level was much too simple.
build yourself a ramblin wreck
gamma57
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby McGinge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:27 am

gamma ur level was novel, its just that everyone can do it like they did the original! ALL my levels i try and do so that force paddles are very hard to make, and would be creative if someone did manage to make em... John is VERY good at making creative paddles; Nicks "etude" level set proved ample enough that dark solutions are not always samy!

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:01 am

Well I got it down to $30! that's creativity right there... 8)
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby gamma57 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:43 pm

Thats what I thought. You used AR edit, but only to create really huge peices because the dillo was so huge. It was not creative in the sense that it was a revolutionary solution ( Biggie, Orjan, BFC, etc..), but I thought that given that alot of people had tied for 1st and your solution "won" by using huge peices, it was creative in an artistic sense. (much more artistic than 50 rockets blasting the level to death)
I defend my choice. :)

Anyway, back to what this thread was about.

McGinge, I think the thread everyone is talking about you creating would be the actual medal tally. Similar to this thread. If you made that thread eventually and modeled it after the original it would standardize everything.
Last edited by gamma57 on Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
build yourself a ramblin wreck
gamma57
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby JohnnyRoastbeef » Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:52 pm

Ikerous wrote:Lol, clearly the creative medal isn't waay too subjective at all

As a contrary SoB, I choose to oppose the opposition to the creativity medal without supporting the creativity medal.
JohnnyRoastbeef
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby McGinge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:16 pm

gamma57 wrote:Thats what I thought. You used AR edit, but only to create really huge peices because the dillo was so huge. It was not creative in the sense that it was a revolutionary solution ( Biggie, Orjan, BFC, etc..), but I thought that given that alot of people had tied for 1st and your solution "won" by using huge peices, it was creative in an artistic sense. (much more artistic than 50 rockets blasting the level to death)
I defend my choice. :)

Anyway, back to what this thread was about.

McGinge, I think the thread everyone is talking about you creating would be the actual medal tally. Similar to this thread. If you made that thread eventually and modeled it after the original it would standardize everything.

But does it really need a tally? Cant people who win them add it to their sig or something? But I get your point; we could see whether people want a tally or not, and if they do, then I'll make one. But i dont know how to code, so if the medal does come into existence, then you guys should just pm me if you win one and I'll edit the post (and i dont worry i WILL check so no one can bulls**t me that they have a medal lol)

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:46 pm

This is easy to code. I can code it.

It's basically taking the same exact medal code we have, doubling it, and making the copy get winners from a diffrent thread, put medals in a different position, and stick a prefix in front of the existing title.

And McGinge, make sure you're careful about "best", because best now is $$ wise. You need to say "best creativity-wise" or "most creative", not just "best".

Gamma thought out the level well before posting it. He duplicated Level 1. How can you put just one anchor point on an inflated copy of a level if you can't inflate the anchor points too?

That is a level well thought out. There was just no getting around the flaw and the flaw wasn't too apparent at first.

So gamma, I applaud you for making a great level and giving a creativity medal.

If you make a level that forces people to be creative, don't hand a medal out if you don't want to!! Same for a level that doesn't make people be creative,. That's one of our main points. You don't have to hand out a creativity medal.
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby JonathanF » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:53 pm

Coding seems unnecessary since max number of creativity medals per comp is 1 and usually solutions aren't really creative.
"It's just a reflection of dark past, remains of a ruined, dead, cursed soul, and also another reason for you to hate me..."

-Meyhna'ch
JonathanF
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:56 pm

Did you read my edit?
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby McGinge » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:25 pm

I dont know what everyone else thinks, but i dont think that a tally is necessarily required, nor is scoring different levels of creativity ( :?: :?: :?: :?: ). However, i see the practicality of it; you guys wanna show off ur extreme creativity to the world!!! Therefore, someone can code it, and post it (i dont mind if its me or not, and since i cant code the thing...). If PeterT's approval is required, then we'll seek it (the problem is he only visits the forum once a few months; maybe someone should email him?), and at the moment i think Overlords medal design is the best (although maybe paintbrushes more apt than flowers lol).
EDIT: I thought Overlord was against medal?? :?

McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:16 pm

McGinge wrote:I dont know what everyone else thinks, but i dont think that a tally is necessarily required, nor is scoring different levels of creativity ( :?: :?: :?: :?: ). However, i see the practicality of it; you guys wanna show off ur extreme creativity to the world!!! Therefore, someone can code it, and post it (i dont mind if its me or not, and since i cant code the thing...). If PeterT's approval is required, then we'll seek it (the problem is he only visits the forum once a few months; maybe someone should email him?), and at the moment i think Overlords medal design is the best (although maybe paintbrushes more apt than flowers lol).
EDIT: I thought Overlord was against medal?? :?

Yeah, just like you guys can show how cheaply you can get a level done. the different levels show how creative (or economical, for normal medals) someone is.

I am still sticking with the brushes!! but I do think we should simply put brushes in place of flowers on overlords design.

I can code it, I just need the source code!!
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General