New Medal Proposition

Everything that does not fit into the catagories below.

Moderators: Moderators, General Forum Moderators

Should a "Creativity Medal" be awarded in Contests??

No!!
14%
Yes, for every contest.
34%
Yes, but only for those solutions which are VERY creative.
52%

Total votes : 29

Postby Ikerous » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:28 am

Lol you should've realized I skipped a few pages when I totally misunderstood your idea. Plus this thread is really long XD

Also I hope it's surprised in a good way and not a bad one :) :)
Ikerous
Light Master

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:33 am

Ikerous wrote:Lol you should've realized I skipped a few pages when I totally misunderstood your idea. Plus this thread is really long XD

Also I hope it's surprised in a good way and not a bad one :) :)

Am I the only one who reads through (most) everything?

And I'm surprised... in a neutral way, because I'm just like " :shock: Okay... I guess that's just how Ike is."

Just read up more. If you don't, a topic like this can be like making armadillo roll down a long slope of non-achored rubber. It gets wacky and can lead to failure, which it looked like it was a for a second there.
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby Ikerous » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:37 am

I think distractions make things more fun :D!
Ikerous
Light Master

Postby JonathanF » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:11 pm

I think the biggest problem with this is that people would give the lowest money-left level the creativity medal- the one with tones of rockets timers launchers etc which make funny spectators but aren't really creative...

Creativity medal shouldn't be given in every contest... IMO :P
Some things that would have deserved a creativity medal are the first metal-bar pulley and dudiobugtron's solution for A #12 (some weird light launcher) and stuff like this...

What do you guys think about it?
"It's just a reflection of dark past, remains of a ruined, dead, cursed soul, and also another reason for you to hate me..."

-Meyhna'ch
JonathanF
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby gamma57 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:18 pm

I can see where you are coming from, but I think alot of people have similar views as yourself.

Look at the AR solutions section. The bottom is always some rocket filled POS while the top is always some cheapo-paddle-matic. The good solutions are always hidden in the middle.

example:
Level 32: Jump - gillo1260

This isnt the cheapest method, but nothing else really looks like it. The solution actually looks like a leg with knee and foot kicking a ball, down to the bending of the knee and extension of ankle. I would say that this is the creativity medal winner for the level.

I dont think the rocket solutions are creative at all really. "Yay! I spent 19000$ to make a huge mess with rockets!" but anyone can do that. I think people realize this and would aviod those type of solutions.

Also, look at MattO-1400. Yes, it is creative, but its really just a tweak of a tweak of a tweak.... If you download 4-5 levels before it, you can see that each level just removes a metal bar or plate to save some money. Not really creative when you look at it that way.
build yourself a ramblin wreck
gamma57
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby JonathanF » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:23 pm

Yeah, nice solution :p

But it could be easily tweaked and if done so it could be the light winner ;) Many times the light winner is the most creative.
"It's just a reflection of dark past, remains of a ruined, dead, cursed soul, and also another reason for you to hate me..."

-Meyhna'ch
JonathanF
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby gamma57 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:52 pm

Not to trivialize these excellent solutions, because I think they are great ( and couldnt come up with solutions like this if I tried ), but together they really arent very creative. Individually they are very creative, but as a series of tweaks, I dont see a ton of creativity.

I think the fact that most of them are so similar makes me think that they arent creative.

In a previous contest held by McGinge, everyone had tied for 1st, until unw came along and owned everyone. I think his was the most creative solution, even though it won, because it differed from all of the others.
gamma57
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby JustcallmeDrago » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:13 pm

Gamma, I think we sound like each other...

Nice Arguments!
JustcallmeDrago
Contest Veteran
Contest Veteran

Postby JonathanF » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:25 pm

I wouldn't call his solution creative, it was only a 2$ tweak :\
None of the solutions there were creative.

-Meyhna'ch
JonathanF
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby tomo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:42 pm

i think you who are trying to make creativity medal come true do not know what means "crative" as i saw in the N contest. do you think that the solution in which is used AR edit is creative? NO IT ISNT!
IF YOU ARE HAPPY AND YOU KNOW IT keep it for yourself
tomo
Contest Winner
Contest Winner

Postby JonathanF » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:56 pm

Some creative solutions I've just seen looking for some: :)

ARFC B #4- "Uber Darkness"
ARFC C #3- Nick's Machine
ARFC A #94- Nick's solution
ARFC A #91- Unw's solution
ARFC A #90- Sam's solution
ARFC B #49- ASAM's solution
ARFC A #53- Unw's solution
ARFC A #56- Nick's and Unw's solutions
ARFC A #68- my solution :oops:
ARFC A #71- Nick's solution
ARFC B #27- ioncorpse's solution (I think this one is my favorite-of-all-times)

And many others. Notice that all these solutions have also won the "regular medal" :)

BTW- in my opinion solutions that use every part of the level are not creative for these are the solutions the host wanted you to do. Another example I just thought of is Ikerous' solution for "The Lair".

Do you guys agree on the creativity of these solutions?

Can you give examples of solutions you find creative?

-Meyhna'ch
JonathanF
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby gamma57 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:16 pm

B_XXXIX --- TomHD-Fling
C_VIII --- Orjan's cloth breaking Machines -- You cant deny that this should have won
C_VI --- JonathanF ... I still have no idea how that works!

to name a few that I beleive are creative, but didnt win any actual medal.

(To tell you the truth, I dont care if there isnt a creativity medal. The medal does seem to be kinda fruity, but like Ikerous its fun to be a pain in the ass)
To paraphrase a funny movie:
Being the most "creative" person in a contest is like being the smartest person with downs syndrome.

sorry if this offends anyone.
gamma57
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby JonathanF » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:31 pm

The most creative of this is Orjna's, I wanted to write it but it would have ruined my theory ;)

And if I remember correctly people were giving it enough attention at the results thread :D

My solution isn't creative at all- the idea is stolen from B #4 ;) Which I have also included in the "creative list" :P

-Meyhna'ch
JonathanF
Armadillo Lord
Armadillo Lord

Postby McGinge » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:41 pm

I agree with the above; the most expensive is probably never the most creative! People can just be dumbasses with rockets and say "o yeah mines the best cos it looks cool"... Solutions like unw's are generally jaw dropping (if a little predictable! :lol:), for example his solution to FF's last A contest could only have been an unw!
In an ideal world, where anything and everything is in perfect form, is there a perfect form of imperfection?

Work THAT one out! :)
McGinge
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

Postby gamma57 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:08 am

oops! B 4 my time!

Still cool though. Like super heavy metal, without all the metal. A solution that hasnt been copied very often, but is still excellent.

So I blame all of this complaining about a lack fo creativity on the part of the level creators. If the levels were good enough they would always be won by a creative solution! So there!

Edit: I found more.

A_LXXXII GlitzanfGlory--Ikerous(very creative)-and he won, but wolterw had a really cool centrifugal launcher

A_LXXIX unw won (very creative obviosly), but Gman and Ike had a really cool catcher, and were the only ones to go over the top.
gamma57
Contest Legend
Contest Legend

PreviousNext

Return to General